1217 questions

Can I get some help with the following questions in relation to the 1217 please?

1:-What is the pin in the pommel made of?
(I read somewhere that it was titanium,but that may have only been for the next gens,correct?)
2:-What year was the change from 1095 to 1095CV?
3:-What year was this model given a NSN?
4:-What year was the change to powdered metal pommels?
5:-What year was the change from the low grind blade to the high grind?

Any and all help much appreciated.
Thanks.

pretty sure it's an aluminum pin
not sure when the steel changed
pretty sure it had an NSN from the get-go, as it was originally made in response to a gov't contract request
don't know
don't know

About 2005 was when Kabar started EMPHASIZING that they were using 1095CV. They actually were using it for at least 30 years before that. They just didn't call it 1095CV. They were using Sharon 170-06, which had the same formulation as 1095CV., more or less.

Western was using similar formulations way back in the 1950s. 1095CV has been around for decades, it just wasn;t necessarily called that.

As for the blade grind, this thread discusses it to a bit and puts it at about the end of 2013 when they made the change: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/new-usmc-with-a-higher-grind.1131372/

Ultimately the high grind is more original than the low grind.

The bottom knife is a WWII era Camillus USN Mk-2, the top a 90's era Kabar. Notice the difference in the grind on the clip as well.

R6n5iKvh.png

Thankyou all for your answers,much appreciated.
NC,I had one just like your 90's version,someone stole it.:(

Thankyou all for your answers,much appreciated.
NC,I had one just like your 90's version,someone stole it.:(

While the stolen knife is a bummer it’s a bit funny for me.

During the Vietnam war my dad did some horse trading to get a ‘Kabar’ (he was an instrument tech in the Air Force but thought they were cool). He ended up with a USN Mk2, though I don’t remember which manufacturer. He eventually went on to join the navy and eventually served as a corpsman for a reserve USMC unit and used that knife he traded for every time he went out for his two weeks. When he wasn’t doing corpsman stuff that knife lived under the driver seat of the family car. Our car was broken into and the knife stolen.

I bought him leather sheathed knife in the late 90’s to replace his Mk-2. However, as a corpsman he had actually patched up a Marine that managed to fall on his leather sheathed Kabar and didn’t much care for it (or so he said). Being the kind of guy he was I assumed he probably didn’t want to scratch up and ding a nice new knife.

Noticing that he never used that knife I went to the Army Navy store and found a nice USN Mk-2 in a fiber scabbard, bought it, and sent it to him. He carried that knife for his two weeks a year until he finally retired.

Actually the knife pre-dated the stock number. The stock number system started up after WW2, and remains an evolving process.

Back