1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

13 inch 21 ounce black/blade CAK by Sher the (tiger)

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Esav Benyamin, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    Arrived today, a little early for a review. Busy, busy with other holiday activities. :)

This is a beast -- beautiful, yes, with the best of all possible handles, total control. I know, don't play games with a serious blade. But the temptation is overwhelming to manipulate this massive blade which is so graceful in hand.

Definitely going to be fun when I get it outside and work with it. Handling a khukuri like this, I can't see why anyone would carry a hatchet.

2. Andrew Colglazier

Andrew Colglazier

Sep 14, 2006
    Exactly! I think they are safer than hatchets, too. Call me crazy.

And you just got a baby khuk..... :p

Andy

3. Esav Benyamin

Apr 6, 2000
    I actually have three small khukuris, including my Salyan -- which is not intended for hacking up random vegetation. :)

This CAK is an interesting tool. Before it goes outside, I want to familiarize myself with the basics, going through the safety thread with it in hand, for example. Then sitting with it, thinking about how it feels in different grips and movements. It simply is not like other knives, even other big knives.

I have a HI seax, a WW I bolo, a few large bowies. Different shapes, different results from a simple downstroke. The CAK came in a large USPS Priority box of course. Dropping the edge onto the side of the box, it cut halfway through by weight alone. Turned the box over, repeated the drop, cut through it. Tossed the two pieces into the trash. If I chopped, I'd have split the table.

It's just over a foot long, but this knife will run away with you, if you're not careful! What will a 15" or an 18" Ang Khola do?

4. killa_concept

killa_concept

May 19, 2009
    To answer your question: a 15" AK's "bite" with just a small flick of the wrist :D
    Agreed on your comment about hatchets... I used to carry a machete and ax for camping - an 18" Vojpure serves both tasks now.
    Looking forward to a few shots of your CAK - my AK is by Sher (the tiger) as well and I'm wondering if yours is as overbuilt as mine (1/2" thick instead of the usual 3/8" for 15 inchers)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  5. Esav Benyamin

Apr 6, 2000
    Yes it is. The spine is 7/16". I've got a strong arm and a practiced 45 degree chop.

By the way, both the small tools are kardas, and nicely sharp, and will be sharper soon.

6. Andrew Colglazier

Andrew Colglazier

Sep 14, 2006
    The smaller, lighter khuks, I have no problem with using one-handed, with proper care. But with the larger models, I always go two-handed, and lower my center of gravity in relation to the item being chopped. I want the blade to hit the ground rather than my leg.

The bigger blades can get away from you, especially if your hands and arms become tired.

Andy

7. Xmodius

Xmodius

Apr 4, 2009
    Hey, I got mine yesterday by Sher the (tiger). It's just about identical to yours Esav, I think. I haven't used it yet, but I already love it. I have another CAK villager 12-13" by one of the other newer kamis, and I have used it lightly. It's a little beast.

8. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Sounds like you might have found your Audrey, Esav:D

Rusty had a 12" Siru that he would almost swore it spoke to him. It was razor sharp and seemingly bloodthirsty. He dubbed it Audrey after Audrey II, the plant from Little Shop of Horrors.

That's a gorgerous knife, my friend. I hope it serves you well:):thumbup:

9. Kismet

Kismet Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 30, 2002
    told ya.

(did you listen? noooooooooo. But I told ya.)