130lb anvil

well boys, i`m back after a long 7 months,if anyone remembers me i was formerly "O-1 fan" i`m just wondering what to look for in a good anvil(brands,horn length,general shape)and what i should expect to pay for one in reasonable condition.
see i`m going to an auction on monday and they state they have a 130LB anvil!!right now i use a cast peice of crap 55lb and a rail road track.

------------------
i keep grinding and grinding and it is still too short!!

Welcome back!
A few name brand anvils are Trenton(my favorite), Peter-Wright, Hay-Budden, Mouse-Hole, Fisher, Kolishwa(solid cast steel). Any of these in good condition are a treasure to use. I test anvils using a 1/2" ball bearing. Hold the bearing approx. a foot above the anvil face and drop it. If the anvil is a good one, the bearing should rebound almost all the way back to your hand. A good used anvil may have a few pits, and most will have one of the edges slightly rounded (either the front right or front left edge, depending if the primary user was right or left handed) One brand that I don't care for are Vulcan anvils. I just have never found one that is much good. Let us know how things turn out.

------------------
Ed Caffrey "The Montana Bladesmith"
ABS Mastersmith
www.caffreyknives.com

Well, any anvil is a good anvil if you don't have one. But, if you get a chance to buy one pay close attention to the following things. 1. Make sure the front face or the working area near the horn is fairly level/flat. 2. make sure it has a hardie hole and a pritchell hole at the heel. 3. The ball bearing trick is the best way I know of to test the sweet spot. So, have one with you at the sale. Also, if you have access to a hammer or solid piece of steel, tap the face lightly all over to make sure it doesn't have any dead spots. It could mean a cracked face which is bad news. 4. Make sure you're big enough to tote the thing if you get it at auction. Help is hard to find when you need it most. 5. Buy the best one you can possibly afford. A good anvil is a lifetime investment if you take good care of it.

Expect to pay anywhere from $150.00 to $450.00 depending on the brand, weight, and condition. Any good anvil from 100 - 250 lbs. is a good size to start with. Now, go get an anvil and let us know what you came up with.

------------------
M.Ogg

"It's better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Back