14" Cold Steel Throwers arrived...

They came. Now don't get me wrong, for the E-Bay price I paid, I am happy. But one of them bent. Yes, the CS "made in the USA" High carbon steel bent. I was throwing at 12-15 feet, doing OK, getting pretty good sticks, then I decided to speed things up. Until today, I have only thrown Hawks. I started whipping them (HARD)towards my target (3" thick pine planks). One handle bent. I put it in the vice and straightened it back out, it throws OK now. Yeah, I'm a little disapointed. So, I'm waiting for my Tru-Balance info, and looking at other high end throwers. Has anyone else had these CS throwers bend? What about the higher end throwers, do they bend as well? I guess I should have saved my money and just got a better thrower or two to begin with, but my thought is, I'm new at this, so I may as well learn on a $10.00 knives (and destroy them in the process...LOL!!!), then get the $100.00 one later. Are the more expensive ones that much more durable to justify the price??? I'm hoping to hunt with these once I get better. I just hate the thought of paying $100.00 or more and throwing at a bunny or tree rat and having the blade bend on a pine tree stump, etc.

I have Olsens and a Tru-Bal I have been throwing an average of 30 days a year for 30 years with no signs of bending. An occasional hit with a file to knock off a burr is the only thing ever needed. Most quality knives will come with a garantee. There is a catch to hunting with your good knives. Most times you spend more time hunting your knife that the quarry.The risk of throwing it away is always there. Some brite yellow reflective tape on the handle helps.

i Have the CS throwers. If you really want to spruce them up, take em to a belt sander and take off the coating, round the corners. I'll post a pic of mine later. They actually aren't that bad, I think they are great for beginners! You definatley don't feel too bad if you lose one as well.. If I lost my jeff koch throwers I would be cussin!

Back