15° on a cheap Chicago Cutlery with the GATCO

I recieved a coarse diamond hone for my GATCO. I commenced to put a 15° edge on an old, cheap Chicago Cutlery 10" chef's knife.

Man does that thing slice great.

I am not a chef. I just putter around in the kitchen.

It looks like the diamond home will allow me to remove metal faster when rebeveling to a sharper angle.

I have a few Farberware knives. Using my Lansky, those blades easily take amazing edges that don't last very long. I learned from a company representative that the steel is 420, which sort of explains it.

I know what you mean. This knife is one of the ones that I am kind of practicing on. I will have to see how long the edge lasts with the couple of times a week use it will see.

I am not sure what kind of steel it is. I have several of their paring knives that see everyday use and they seem to hold an edge fairly well.

I went to their website http://www.chicagocutlery.com/ but I do not see my knives. They are probably 17 years old. Mine are two rivet wood handles with no bolster.

Here is an interesting tip I found on their site:

Knife Sharpening
Sharp knives are safer than dull ones because dull knives require more pressure for cutting, which can result in slipping. Sharpening knives with a sharpening steel can seem difficult at first, but is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it.

1. Hold sharpening steel point down on a flat, stable surface (like a table or cutting board.)
2. Angle the knife blade so that it is approximately 15 degrees from the sharpening steel.
3. Pull the knife down and across the sharpening steel in a slight arc, pulling the knife handle toward you. Stroke the entire blade edge from base to tip.
4. Repeat on the other side of the steel.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 three to five times, alternating the right and left side of the cutting edge.

Knives should be sharpened after every couple of uses for maximum performance.

To clean and remove metal particles from your sharpening steel, use a scouring pad, rinse with water, dry thoroughly and store in a dry place.

Back