1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

15" Amar Singh Thapa Khukuri

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Karda, May 6, 2010.

1. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    I did a little chopping today, my first of this year.

Took a 15" Amar Singh Thapa Khukuri By Dil Kami out into my small patch of woods and attacked a well seasoned and hardened downed tree that was approximately 6"-8" in diameter. The khukuri was as it came from the shop with no sharpening done by me. With a little sharpening i think it would've gone thru the timber with less effort, but none the less it performed well. I found out just how out of practice i really am with these things. :eek:

Fit and Finish is as usual. Nicely crafted scabbard, with well done Chakma and Karda. Satin Villager finish on the Blade. Well figured Satisaal wood handle.

The Ergonomics of this model are fantastic. It feels just right in the hand and i was able to easily hit with the "sweet spot" on almost every swing. The thick spine on this model absorbs the percussion nicely and drives the blade home well. I feel that this will make a very nice bushcraft blade, easily suitable for any camp or trail chore you could throw at it. This khukuri sang out for more, although my out of condition old self was unwilling. The Khukuri held up better than i did, no edge rolling or any other problems that i could tell.

All in all, another well done and thought out pattern for all of us too add to our collections and lineup. I highly recommend this blade.

[youtube]IDEhK9EBaZg[/youtube]

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  2. stickfred

stickfred

Nov 6, 2009
    Thanks for the review and video, Karda. That's pretty good cuttin' for a 15"er. The Amar Singh Thapa does appear to be a good all 'round tool. I'll try to get mine outside more in the next week to let it stretch its legs a little more and hopefully teach me something at the same time.

Rick

3. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Great review and video, thank you Karda

4. warty

warty

Mar 2, 2010
    I will have to see the video when I get home... my Dad's computer is a mess. :(

5. b.c.molin

b.c.molin

Nov 28, 2008
    Oh dear, another one for the collection ... guess the Ganga Ram and YCS can have another sibling on the 'must get' list! ;)

Seriously Karda, thanks for the review, its much appreciated. However, only one question please: what does it weigh please?

6. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    Karda,

Having used the ASTK, how's the chopping compared to a CAK?

Would you prefer an 18" more?

Jay

7. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    I'm not quite sure on that, jay, as i don't have a CAK to compare it to.
    The only AK that i have is silver mounted and i don't chop with her.
    I would dare speculate that the CAK's slightly more forward mass would make it the better chopper, but i think the ASTK would give it a run for the money. Honestly, i like the 15" khukuri's, they may sacrifice a little chopping power as opposed to an 18"er or larger, but your pants stay up and they are easier on the hip for hiking and camping and will perform these tasks quite well in their own way.

8. warty

warty

Mar 2, 2010
    Finally! Nice chopping work out! Great review, and a fine addition to the forum.

Can't wait for my 18" one to show up so I can get some time in with it too.

9. KChuck

KChuck

Jun 19, 2010
    Just got off the phone with Auntie and she said my 18" AST would be in the mail tomorrow morning along with a couple of other little toys!!! :D :eek: :D

Thanks so much for the review and especially the video.

I've been using the heck outta' the 15" Sirupati (Bura) gifted to me by one of my best friends (obviously a GREAT friend). While I really, REALLY love my Sirupati, I keep feeling somewhat hesitant to use it for anything other than general use around the house: clearing light brush, limbing smaller saplings, etc. So I'm really looking forward to the AST which Auntie said she thought would work just as well as a Chiruwa AK when you just don't have a pry bar handy. ;)

I think that this AST will also help tide me over for the month and a half or so until the 22" Ganga Ram I special ordered comes in. I asked Auntie to include a note for the kami to make the belly fuller and rounder (like a YCS or Pen Knife) so I've got some really high hopes for the Ultimate Monster Chopper (not really as a reference to the Monster Hunter books by Larry Correia), which will be used to clear some downed trees in the 7.5 acres of private forest on the southern part of our land.

With this post as inspiration, I may have to bring my camcorder out with me when I go to tackle those instead of just posting pictures like I was thinking....

Thanks again for the review and video, Karda!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  10. warty

warty

Mar 2, 2010