15n20 steel?

Can someone tell me about this steel in comparison to steels I'm familiar with and just about the steel in general? Aside from corrosion resistance against the stainless, how does it compare with 1095, O1, 52100, and SAK steel?

Bohler-Uddeholm lists 15N20 steel as bandsaw steel. has 2% nickel in it and as BU states it is a fine grained steel for valves, saws, etc. My guess it it'll work for large choppers, but not so sure if it can perform better than 1095, O1 or 52100 for light cutters.

I have read somewhere that the American equivalent is L6 and it was popular with custom knife makers a few years back. I have a Svord Peasant that is made of 15N20 and it gets razor sharp easily.

L6 comes in a couple fairly varied compositions, the custom makers have discussed how they change their heat treat schedules when going between the Carpenter and Crucible versions (RDS & champalloy)

15N20 is used in pattern welded damascus because it comes in thin sizes and provides good contrast.

Yes , the 15N20/1084 damascus make an excellent combination !

I'm pretty new when it comes to this type of thing. Any one know if 15N20/1095 would make a good combo for Damascus Steel, or is 15N20/1084 a better combo?

Thanks!

Not sure which is better but I know the 1095 mix is great. I have several amd the are tough and keep an edge well.

It makes some great swords, check Artificum Solis's stuff. Artificum Solis probably has some trade secrets to making it so amazing though.

Last edited:
Back