15v in a tree

Three or four weeks ago I posted about how impressed I was by the edge retention of s110v, and specifically a Manix 2 LW in that steel. Since then I managed to purchase a Manix 2 in 15v. I didn't want to go *right* out and possibly ruin the blade, so I waited a few weeks to run the same test--carving through a 5/8" Dade Pine branch--to see how it would compare.

As with the s110v knife, this Manix was wearing a 15 dps edge that I put on using a Tormek T-8 and CBN wheels. Prior to the branch hacking it had a BESS score of 90g, which falls between a new, double-edge razor (50g) and a new, utility razor blade (150-200g).

So I cut the branch off the tree, basically by carving a notch into it, which involved a fair amount of twisting the blade into the hard wood. After cleaning the blade with mineral spirits, I checked the edge. I could detect no chips whatsoever. The BESS reading, with no stropping, was 107g (average of one reading in two different spots). In other words, cutting a 5/8" hard wood branch in half had almost no effect on the sharpness of the blade. Amazing!

After testing I stropped on leather with .5 micron diamond compound. That had absolutely no effect either. :) Subsequently, I stropped on leather belts using a Worksharp Ken Onion with 2 micron diamonds (2 passes) and with Tormek compound (2 passes) and the knife was back to 90g on the BESS tester.

Amazing work by our friend BBB (Sean Houston) and Spyderco!

Impressive.

Shawn called me up to tell me they had been released. It was pretty funny that while I had him on the phone they were already sold out.

One of these days I'll pick one up.

That’s pretty impressive. I’m still upset I wasn’t quick enough to get one when they released… Every time he posts a new 15v testing video it’s salt in the wound haha

Pete at Cedric & Ada posted his 15v (PM2) factory edge test. He says it's the longest lasting factory edge he's ever tested.

I had a good reasons to not get the 15V when it was available. Now I have good reasons to get it, but it's not available. : (

Ain't those AWT scales NICE!!!! I wish they'd do Ti. I got the topical map on my first order because I thought it would add grip, it does not. I'd love to see better grooves milled, even though I have no issue with grip.

I had a good reasons to not get the 15V when it was available. Now I have good reasons to get it, but it's not available. : (

Ain't those AWT scales NICE!!!! I wish they'd do Ti. I got the topical map on my first order because I thought it would add grip, it does not. I'd love to see better grooves milled, even though I have no issue with grip.
I do like the AWT scales. Aluminum doesn't bother me as a rule, but the coating is starting to wear around the lock button thanks to my hyper-abrasive thumbs.

More importantly, Pete did his resharpened 15v test, and crowned a new king. Spyderco's 15v beat Rex21 and even Tungsten Carbide, by 500 cuts, for a total of 2000 cuts! Astonishing.

Back