1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

15yr old BM 610 Rukus help

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Valor_53, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Valor_53

Valor_53

Oct 23, 2017
    [​IMG] http://imgur.com/a/xX4rFhx
    So this is my Benchmade Rukus. I loved and used this knife for nearly all of my adult life. I ordered it directly from Benchmades website and i wanted the plain edge satin finished blade. When I got it I loved it too much to send it back. I contacted customer service a year or so ago and they said they would replace the blade but I procrastinated and now they are out of stock. I need help with ideas for what I can do or have done so I could feel good about this knife again. Any ideas are welcome.

2. hughd

hughd

Feb 18, 2014
    Why not just strip it and put a satin finish on it?

3. michaelm466

michaelm466 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I'd keep it as is, as it looks well loved, but if it bothers you, I agree, just strip it- High grit sandpaper or steel wool or something.

4. Valor_53

Valor_53

Oct 23, 2017
    I might refinish it... I had it made up in my mind I would get the blade replaced so I haven't paid any attention to the blade finish. It has some play in the pivot and some stripped screws so maybe I should just send it to benchmade to start with.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  5. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    You could have someone like Josh at Razor Edge Knives regrind, refinish and sharpen it, but you'd lose your logos. But you could get a more aggressive, better slicing grind.

The pivot can be adjusted. I'd send it to Benchmade to have it restored to like-new condition, all but the finish. I like the blade finish as it is.

If you want to go full out, you could have it rebladed in a steel much better than S30V. I had mine rebladed in Vanax SuperClean, with a more aggressive grind. It's the best knife I have.

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  6. Haffner

Haffner

Feb 13, 2007
    Twindog, how did you get your Rukus 610 rebladed?

7. Twindog

Apr 6, 2004
    Josh at Razor Edge Knives does reblades. It's expensive, as you might guess, but it was worth it to me because I got a Rukus blade in Vanax SuperClean, which is an awesome steel. I got my favorite knife with a better blade geometry and a much better steel.

8. Valor_53

Valor_53

Oct 23, 2017
    I've thought about reblading it myself. I just don't think I can pull off the geometry well enough for the axis lock. I actually emailed Josh. I believe he has a website with some pictures of the 610 reblade. Might even be yours Twindog. He does amazing work.

9. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Or I could just sharpen it up good, clean and lube it! Serrations aren't a problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TheEdge01 and Mr.Wizard like this.
  10. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    @razor-edge-knives

Serrations are unconquered territory for me. What method are you using?

11. Haffner

Haffner

Feb 13, 2007
    Twindog,
    Can you show us some pictures? I'd love to see your marvel...

12. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    I use radius'd cbn wheels on a bench grinder with a vfd and water cooling .... Its an expensive set up at around $1k but it works like a charm. And since I do this for a living it's worth it to me :)

13. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    High tech!

14. Twindog

Apr 6, 2004
    Josh does great work. First thing I did was take it out and chop branches and brush growing over my trails, which is very hard on edges. The Vanax SuperClean held up perfectly and was razor sharp after an hour or so of chopping branches. The Rukus is big enough for effective chopping. And yet the blade geometry is excellent for slicing, piercing, point-detail work and general cutting.

[​IMG]

Below is the same blade after a long chopping session. Zero damage to the edge. Vanax is the toughest of the powder stainless steels, which means it's tougher than Elmax. It holds an edge better than S35VN or S30V. And it's super stainless, meaning you don't get rust or edge degradation from corrosion. Josh had the blade heat treated at Peter's. The hardness was 60 Rc. The edge stability (no chipping or rolling) is awesome.

And Josh's grind is perfect. He put on a 30 degree inclusive edge, 0.015 inches at the edge shoulders, which is twice as thin as most production folders.

[​IMG]

razorburn and razor-edge-knives like this.
  15. Valor_53

Valor_53

Oct 23, 2017
    That is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen....

16. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I'd try to fix the blade play and stripped screws (BM might be best choice, not sure) but I'd leave the blade alone. Quite frankly, I love the look of the knife. It's been used. And that's a good thing. My 2 cents.

17. dsalazar

dsalazar Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Id just send it in for a tune up. That blade has some character. Then you can always do more later.