15yr old BM 610 Rukus help

iframe>
http://imgur.com/a/xX4rFhx
So this is my Benchmade Rukus. I loved and used this knife for nearly all of my adult life. I ordered it directly from Benchmades website and i wanted the plain edge satin finished blade. When I got it I loved it too much to send it back. I contacted customer service a year or so ago and they said they would replace the blade but I procrastinated and now they are out of stock. I need help with ideas for what I can do or have done so I could feel good about this knife again. Any ideas are welcome.

I'd keep it as is, as it looks well loved, but if it bothers you, I agree, just strip it- High grit sandpaper or steel wool or something.

I might refinish it... I had it made up in my mind I would get the blade replaced so I haven't paid any attention to the blade finish. It has some play in the pivot and some stripped screws so maybe I should just send it to benchmade to start with.

You could have someone like Josh at Razor Edge Knives regrind, refinish and sharpen it, but you'd lose your logos. But you could get a more aggressive, better slicing grind.

The pivot can be adjusted. I'd send it to Benchmade to have it restored to like-new condition, all but the finish. I like the blade finish as it is.

If you want to go full out, you could have it rebladed in a steel much better than S30V. I had mine rebladed in Vanax SuperClean, with a more aggressive grind. It's the best knife I have.

Twindog, how did you get your Rukus 610 rebladed?

Josh at Razor Edge Knives does reblades. It's expensive, as you might guess, but it was worth it to me because I got a Rukus blade in Vanax SuperClean, which is an awesome steel. I got my favorite knife with a better blade geometry and a much better steel.

I've thought about reblading it myself. I just don't think I can pull off the geometry well enough for the axis lock. I actually emailed Josh. I believe he has a website with some pictures of the 610 reblade. Might even be yours Twindog. He does amazing work.

REK Knives REK Knives

Serrations are unconquered territory for me. What method are you using?
I use radius'd cbn wheels on a bench grinder with a vfd and water cooling .... Its an expensive set up at around $1k but it works like a charm. And since I do this for a living it's worth it to me :)

Twindog,
Can you show us some pictures? I'd love to see your marvel...

Josh does great work. First thing I did was take it out and chop branches and brush growing over my trails, which is very hard on edges. The Vanax SuperClean held up perfectly and was razor sharp after an hour or so of chopping branches. The Rukus is big enough for effective chopping. And yet the blade geometry is excellent for slicing, piercing, point-detail work and general cutting.

2v2JSUmZ3xAWtWs.jpg

Below is the same blade after a long chopping session. Zero damage to the edge. Vanax is the toughest of the powder stainless steels, which means it's tougher than Elmax. It holds an edge better than S35VN or S30V. And it's super stainless, meaning you don't get rust or edge degradation from corrosion. Josh had the blade heat treated at Peter's. The hardness was 60 Rc. The edge stability (no chipping or rolling) is awesome.

And Josh's grind is perfect. He put on a 30 degree inclusive edge, 0.015 inches at the edge shoulders, which is twice as thin as most production folders.

2v2JSQtQ2xAWtWs.jpg

I'd try to fix the blade play and stripped screws (BM might be best choice, not sure) but I'd leave the blade alone. Quite frankly, I love the look of the knife. It's been used. And that's a good thing. My 2 cents.

Id just send it in for a tune up. That blade has some character. Then you can always do more later.

Back