16.5- or 18-inch WWII?

Well, out of fear of the abuses of the past you can always do nothing, and then watch with horror as the entire eco system is destroyed; trees, seed stock, animals, and of course, the endangered species half the battle was supposed to be about in the first place. How many times must man learn this lesson? You can't get there from here, things are not what they seem, adn often, doing the intuitive opposite of the superficial is what works. Want less crime and more social responsibility? Let the folks be armed.
Want forests? Harvest them.

and most controversially, tired of corruption and the war on drugs? Legalise them and have faith most our children will make the right choices.

I should really say- don't blame me- I'm a libertarian.

munk

Hey, guys,

Should I order the horn or wood handles? What are the pros/cons of each? Either one more problematic. Remember I live in Iowa, which means a harsh mix of humidity in summer and bone-dry in winter. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I prefer wood handles, they offer a better grip most of the time and tend to be more stable. Plus you can make them purty with Tru-oil! :D There's a lot to be said for roughened horn handles too, both definitely have their merits. For me it's wood every time I have a choice.

I've come to prefer wood to horn, but I'll take what I can get. Horn cracks are just an opportunity to get the thin superglue ( or gel ) down into the handle's core to me anymore.

As the kamis say, a blade is forever, the handle can get replaced. Over here we have such a wider choice of materials to rehandle with and such better tools and epoxies, that using what's available can darn near make a handle last forever.

Think of what stabilized woods and good epoxies will do, and how easily we can drill out holes to pin tangs. Whenever I go by a Dollar store I stop and pick up the 3 tube packs of regular or gel superglues for a buck each

Another thing, is the more you do for a knife the more it becomes uniquely your own.

One khuk that is special to me is a 15" Sirupati that Pala replaced the cracked handle of with a piece of oak. He left a little extra wood on it that most Americans would find helped the fit. I sanded it off to fit me - as I'm just his size in height and hands and even hats. Sanded, stained, finished off myself, but it's still got something left of Pala inside of it. I never pick it up without being reminded of him.

Rusty's right. Horn cracks have been more of a concern recently, seemingly because we had flood of improperly cured horn. That seems to be subsiding. I prefer horn, though the preference grows less each year. I love wood, you see, but horn was so exotic compared to what I was used to seeing.

Horn has different handling charateristics. Some say it sticks to their hands better, some say wood does.

munk

Back