??????

Man, this place is deader'n a doornail! Where is everyone, come on guy's I want to hear more about your exploits with various khuks!

Guy Thomas

Me, I'm tied up tighter than a bedroll these days. But I read what you guys write! I must however agree there's a teeny little bit of inactivity on this forum lately. :eek: Craig, shake the guys up a bit!

A half-off sale would liven things up a bit ;) :D
Seriously, I'll have a mini-review of the balance khukuri I bough t from Dan in the next few days.

Patrick

I've got a 16" Panawal with a handle that's coming off, which I am in the process of abusing to see what gives. So far the steel part is holding up marvelously. One day I'll have time to post a writeup, but that's still in the future.

The only way to wake up the dead is to announce that there are "free khukuris" being given away.

Man, you can just see all of them crawling out of the woodwork.

Anyway, I have two questions:

Is there any methodical approach towards collecting good khukuris without bursting one's budget?

And, what is the best length for a khukuri? I know some people prefer a 15-incher, while others may like a 12-inch, reasonably light-weight khuk which can move like lightning in a life-threatening situation.

Say, for the common man, is the 15 inch khukuri THE ideal length, or is it very subjective, depending on the physical make-up of the owner?

Quote: "Is there any methodical approach towards collecting good khukuris without bursting one's budget?"

Golok, to my very own personal way of thinking, the approach does not depend on the physical makeup of the owner, but the phychological makeup. Here I can only comment on my very own preference as an example of one approach: I would buy very selectively, depending on my decided-upon line of collecting. I would hand-pick the khuks which are available, making sure they exhibit such variety (or lack of variety) as I desire. I would go for maximum quality of workmanship available within the confines of the budget. I would research the available information before buying. I would inform my distributors about my wants beforehand and enlist their aid. I would not be interested in ANY khuk not conforming as closely as possible to the traditional Nepalese khuk. I would have a marked preference for oldies too. I would pay close attention to detail. I would cherish the fact that my selected khuks can be used for hard work just like the most hardy of them. At the end of the day I would reflect on the wisdom of rather owning a smaller number of good khuks instead of being able to say: "Wotalotigot"!

Other collectors/enthusiasts might be differently inclined.
:cool:

Thank you, Johan, for that illuminating reply.

I appreciate your well thought-out response which has greatly broadened my horizon as far as khuks are concerned.

Johan: If the Panawal has aluminum pins, I think your handle job will be better if they're replaced with threaded steel. There will be more surface area to grip the wood and tang if you get a tap and thread the whole shootin' match clamped together, apply glue everywhere, screw and clamp, and work the wood and steel to final shape LAST, then finish.

Golok: Even as a non-collector, I like Johan's collecting approach. Unless one has the resources and space to buy everything that comes along, doing a little homework before forking over the cash will give you a more pleasing bunch. There are actually hundreds of styles, so it's a big committment to try and get one of each. With countless handmade variations, it can't really be done, so my suggestion is to get the ones that you feel like you've just GOT to have, and the rest will take care of itself.

As a user, the handle shape is most important to me, along with the location of the raised rings. If the handle is wrong it will never suit me. Unless you have the opportunity to see lots of them together, you're stuck with trying to describe what you want to the seller. Once I understood what works for me, it wasn't as tricky to do as I had thought. And without a great knowledge of khukuris, one is better off buying from a reputable dealer instead of risking the unknown.

Going out on a limb here, khukuris to me can be like musical instruments and females. When buying instruments there are many technical things to consider, along with sound quality, volume, responsiveness, playability, and so on. Even so, it all comes down to two things: 1) does it stay in tune, and 2) is it so excellent that I just can't let go of it? That test will take care of everything. As for the other, as a local saying goes, "Pretty is as pretty does."

Later....Dan

Golok, very glad to have been of assistence!

Dan, you've got the problem worked out to a "T" and your suggestion will certainly solve the problem. Thanks. By the way, you've got E-mail... :D :D

Good thoughts and answers!

My thoughts about buying khuks have evolved a bit in the past few months. Being a bladesmith (and I use that term loosely, I still have tons to learn and always will) it's not too hard to tell the trash from the good knives. As with anything you can spend as much or as little as you want. Because my budget is small compared to the needs of my family I've been having to make hard decisions about what to buy and what to pass on. I really want to collect some of the older WWI and WWII models but I may need to let that develop in it's own time with a model here and a model there as money allows.

With that in mind it truly depends on what your budget is and how well you intend to stick to it. It's hard to tell anything without handling knives and with khukuris I think that is even more important. Buy from reputable dealers who sell quality and avoid knives that don't "feel" right. I like Nepali made khukuri, village khukuri and historical models that were made in both India and Nepal.

To date I have three modern Nepali made khuks, one small roughly finished but incredibly well forged village model (I feel the kami that made this knife produced a higher quality blade than most service models) and a piece of trash khuk that I bought purely to see what the trash actually was.

As far as the length question, well I think that depends on several factors. Do you want to use the knife as a fighter or a worker. Slashing (like a machete) or heavy chopping (like a hand ax). Martial artists seem to prefer the lighter blades with less "belly". There is a reason there are so many different kinds of khukuri, some simply do different things better depending on length, size, weight, blade geometry and so on.

I do feel that the modern standard issue service model is an attempt at meeting several needs in one knife. It's not that heavy but is heavy enough and has enough belly to be a good chopper still. The WWII models are work horse models that can do it all also. Larger people generally feel more comfortable with larger/longer knives.
Fighters might prefer sirupati or the Chainpuri style knives.

In the end it's all rather subjective and you have to rely on common sense, research and the opinions of people with experience that you know and respect! Aside from the common sense that you can develop yourself you can find everything else right here! I know I have.

Guy Thomas

Hey Johan, I meant to say that Dan's suggestion for the threaded pins is a good one! I intend to try that on myself soon. It hadn't occured to me actually thread the grip material itself. It should work great. Most knifemakers will rough up the pins before glue up and many will only use pins if they "peen" them also. Loveless style threaded rivets work well. One thing though, when peening pins in organic material you have to be very careful as over peenng can cause splitting.

I want to try making khukuri and one of the things I want to try on handles (since I don't have a ready supply of lahi) is cutler's resin as an adhesive. Traditionally it was made from pine resin, some beeswax and brick dust. The formula I'm going to experiment with soon is pine resin, beeswax and ground up herbivore dung. It should make a big mess! I've also been told that if you are married DO NOT make this mixture up in the kitchen if you value your better half!:D

Guy

Silent,
I agree with Johan and Lt Dan about collecting, but another affordable approach is to buy some inexpensive knives for study. This is a good place to start just for style and 'feel'. It also brings you variety and provides the knowledge of what is good and bad. I didn't buy my first 'great' old kukri for at least a year after I started.

JP, your "knowledge of good and evil" approach to collecting khukuris poses some interesting issues. Your opinions and experience are always appreciated.

Guy, there's an e-mail on the way...sorry so wordy. The threaded pin idea came from an outstanding knife maker who says it won't fail. He's a mutual friend of Craig's.

Johan, I'm having some trouble with my e-mail. Nothing was happening until I defragmented, and only then could I even send anything. But for some unknown reason the 'puter is telling me there's no incoming mail out there in cyber space. Maybe I oughta have a talk with my service provider.

Be well, guys.

Dan

Guy, your e-mail reply came through. Thanks!

Johan, yours hasn't :(

Sometimes what's left just won't go right.

Dan

Hey Johan, does this mean that you will soon be getting a new khukuri, say, a modern Afghan?

JP, I feel you are right, I need to be more patient and just let this collecting thing develop at it's own pace while I learn more. The initial rush of enthusiasm has me wanting a full blown collection but that is really not practical or wise. I've learned to pace myself with knifemaking, I've only just bought a used belt grinder after two years of using files so I know that lesson well. Sometimes it is hard to be patient however.

Guy

Guy, my e-mail is still messing up intermittently, so I don't know what that rascal Johan is up to. Ooooh, little did you know that may have had a hankering for an Afghan for awhile, and it was a sad tale: He settled for something else 'cause GH was out, and mine being up for grabs (at a discount), and neither of us knowing what each other was up to.

And it's my own darn fault, since I've been neglecting my e-mailing and chasing groundhogs / handloading / absorbed in the varmint board, instead of taking care of important personal business. For shame....boy, is my face red.:eek:

And, if that wasn't enough, I broke down and 'fessed up. Yeah, there wasn't much good that came out of that lapse in judgement. There's an interesting scripture parallel about the Lord saying that He didn't always tell everybody everything, because He knew they couldn't bear the whole truth. Surely He wasn't deceptive, but he did hold back truth until the time was right and folks could deal with it. I was a bit out of order by baring something that could've been hard to bear. B-A-R-E, and B-E-A-R...that's kinda interesting.

Not meaning to preach or infleunce anybody, but just kicking a notion around.

Anyhow, I fully expect our good buddy Johan to give me the business in his most excellent way. C'mon Johan, don't disappoint me now!

Dan

John Powell wrote:
I didn't buy my first 'great' old kukri for at least a year after I started.
I'd love to see a pic of what he considers his first "great" old kukri.

It'd be nice to know how many great old khukuris JP has collected up to now, and how many more get added to the fold on an average month. Vicarious khukuri collecting is more my speed.

Dan

You were probably expecting some ivory gripped, jewel encrusted, engraved watered blade hanshee that is named to General Ochterlony from Amar Sing at Maluan, 1815. Nope. This little gem has it all: mid 19th c with a well made made layered steel blade, the original karda & chakmak, a very large tinder pouch with tinder, thick leather scabbard with great detail work, a delicate grip of 'chandan' with inset pieces of diamond shaped bone done in a pana butta style with nice brass washers to hold the rivets and an engraved buttplate. I didn't know what I had when I bought it at a local show, but this is a very terrific little knife.
View

Dan,
Many kukris come and go, but I currently have about 150 good pieces including 3 ram daos and 20 koras. Pieces get added in fits and starts so I can't give a "kukri per month" average, but my checkbook seems to seems to suffer most around the big Arms Fairs. And auctions. And 'gun' shows.

Back