171UH Research Rant

Codger_64

171UH Uncle Henry Pro Hunter
History Research

The Schrade Uncle Henry 171UH Pro Hunter is a classic, though fairly rare pattern, and one of the larger Schrade fixed blade knives. The 171UH was first introduced in the 1971 catalog and was produced for thirteen years, being discontinued after the 1983 catalog year. It was manufactured for an additional two years in 1990 thru 1991 before being discontinued again.

During the first production run, it was made with the SCHRADE-WALDEN tang stamp for two and a half years before the name changed to Schrade Cutlery and the tang stamp SCHRADE. This tang stamp was used for the remainder of the first run, and also during the brief two year reintroduction. In the 1971 catalog it was referred to as the "BIG PRO HUNTER" (The name later changed to "PRO HUNTER"), and sold for $25.00. It remained $25.00 through 1972, and in the Schrade Walden catalog in early '73, then was listed at $26.50 in the midyear Schrade Cutlery catalog. 1974-'76 the price was $30.00, then $40.00 for 1977 thru 1979. In 1980 it listed for $42.95, $44.95 in 1981, and finally $49.95 in 1982-'83. It sold for $79.95 in 1990 when reintroduced and the final price in 1991 was still $79.95. Limited editions and commemorative of this knife were produced.

The first 171UH's when introduced in 1971 had an aluminum or nickle silver birds head pommel. Not long after the introduction, the birds head pommel was dropped and it had the squared brass pommel. The 1990-'91 issues had a blade etch "Schrade" over "Super Sharp". Some were serialized on the front of the pile side guard. Serial numbers I have seen so far were #13843 - #95259, though this is by no means a complete survey of the numbers issued. This pattern is a hidden tang Staglon handled knife with a brass pommel cap on the later issues, having a mounting screw much like the 153UH Golden Spike. I have not disassembled a 171UH, but on the 153UH the screw threads into a cylindrical bushing in the tang.

The handle design, both shape and texture, is very similar to the earlier '49er series.

The blade is 5 ½" long, early knives being 1095HC high carbon steel, and later ones being “rust resistant high carbon steel” (same as Schrade+), sabre ground clip point, nearly 1 ½" wide and thick of spine making a very sturdy knife. None of the pre-1974 knives have the “Schrade+” stamp, and I have not seen later ones with it.

There are no known predecessors or descendants of this particular pattern, and unlike most Uncle Henry knives, it does not have an Old Timer counterpart. The one piece brass guard curves toward the rear at it's lower end. The complete knife weighs 12.6 ounces, the sheath another 5 ½ ounces making the full carry weight over a pound. It is 10 ½" total length without the sheath.

All of the first issues, and most of the second came with a flat stitched stone pocket sheath with sharpening stone. Brass snaps were most commonly used for the securing strap and stone pockets, but one sheath has been seen using nickle silver instead. No rivets were used around the stitching. Some of the last came with a simple flat stitched sheath with no stone pocket. The ones I have seen have no rivets finishing the stitching at the sheath throat, and use nickle silver snaps. They also have the handle retainer strap with the cover snap on the left side, and the male portion on the right. This same strap orientation has been used on all of the 171UH stone pocket sheaths I have examined. The sheaths of both types have had the strap simply fed through two vertical slots die stamped in the belt hanger and not retained with a rivet, so it is possible that an owner might change the orientation themselves. This unattached condition resulted in strap loss on some sheaths, as well as some straps being fed through the slots incorrectly.

Since I recently acquired the #02432 Birds head pommel Pro Hunter from a fellow forum member (they were breeding in his collection and threatened to take over), I will be in touch with Sheathmaker for a custom/classic sheath for this knife. Yas, I think basketweave to match the 165 and 15OT sheaths he has made for me.

Codger

PS: Did you know that the name "Pro Hunter" not only was used on this 171UH, but also the PH series, and was the first advertised name for the 165UH Prospector circa 1968?

I think there was an Imperial knife with this name as well, possibly a folder.

Great stuff Codger...........now if I could find one without taking out a second mortgage. :D

Here are my two.First#00859 second #03640.Even in the short span of two year production on the BH version of these knives there are differences in these two knives.One is that the latter has the Shrade Super-Sharp etch on the blade.The other is a possible difference in the way the swedge was cut.I am still trying to pin that one down.Arnold

I just noticed another difference.On the older sheath,that is dyed a lot darker that the newer one,the snap on the stone is N/S not brass.On the newer one both are brass.Also the older stone is a lot courser than the other.Arnold

Codger,
What's that beast weigh?
It's got to be a good bit heavier than the 8.7-8.8 oz that the 165's run(knife alone,please).
The 171 looks like a mountain man type fighting knife.They rode horses or mules most of the time,and were real men.
Doesn't look like a good skinner,either.
Too much knife for this old geezer.
Ron

Engineering change orders (running changes on the grind, etc.), vendor changes (sheaths, snaps, stones) are not unusual, but it would take a fairly large sampling to nail down approximate dates for them. With the large volumes of 15OT, 165OT, and 152OT this was not a major problem. When dealing with the tight timeframe of production, and obviously low numbers produced with the 1971-73 1/2 171UH, it is not nearly so easy. Try keeping a log of the details and serial numbers of all you run across. So far, I haven't seen one numbered over 10,000. That really isn't that many knives for a 30 month run. One reason may have been the cost, intro'd at $25 when a 15OT sold for $15 and a 165OT for $20. Of course, it replaced the 165OT of the previous year at $25, but they weren't big sellers either. Thus their scarcity today.

Codger

relodr36 said:
Codger,
What's that beast weigh?
It's got to be a good bit heavier than the 8.7-8.8 oz that the 165's run(knife alone,please).
The 171 looks like a mountain man type fighting knife.They rode horses or mules most of the time,and were real men.
Doesn't look like a good skinner,either.
Too much knife for this old geezer.
Ron
12 1/2 ounces knife alone. Compare that to 8.2 ounces for the 165UH, and 7 9/10 ounces for the 10 1/2" 15OT.

I suspect that it was not very popular as a user. Besides the beefy blade profile and thickness, the grooved handle has a circumference of 5 1/8". Now the blade shape itself does work well, as witnessed by the downscaled 142OT and the 14OT.

Codger

Always interesting, Mike.

A good user grade 171 can be found reasonably priced. Here's one I got cheap, but was sold without a sheath. No problem, still a few of the sheaths without stone pockets available on ebay, but with Sheathmaker on board here... what the hell. I had him make me one without the stone pocket. That little stone really can't do the job on a knife this size anyway. I held off on any embelliishments on this sheath, wanting something simple. How about that knife..? Patina, discoloring, pitting, sharp as hell. Good old carbon steel.

Yeah, a big knife for a user, but such a knife-- as outdoorsmen have realized for a long long time -- can be a comfort while in wild places.

Phil

Attachments

• 0 171UH.jpg
    0 171UH.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 44
I frequent the Wilderness and survival forum here, but seldom post. There seems to be a drift there toward the biggest, baddest knives to come down the pike and (if those guys represent the market) toward expensive, heavy knives which they can abuse. I can't see why anyone would need to beat a knife through a log, but some of them declare "batoning" to be the be-all-end-all of knife tests. And they spend hundreds of dollars for knives they treat this way. With good user 171UH's coming up every day for less than $100 (and 15OT/165OT for less than half that), I don't see why some of them don't glom onto them. But of course, the name "Pro Hunter" does not have the panache of some of the more creatively named new offerings, and it is "Old School", but then so is the old discontinued Marbles Woodcraft knife they rave and swoon over. Maybe it is just the clique and buzz of armchair enthusiasts that has them fixated on their WSKs and SAKs, instead of utilizing good American designs from yesteryear.

I like that plain sheath, Phil. I am yet to see one of Paul's creations that I have issues with. I agree with your opinion of the stone pocket sheaths as well. While not quite as bad as a compass on a knife handle, in real life there is little need for them. Particularly nowdays when an ink-pen sized diamond hone is so easy to use and carry. And some mighty fine knives have been ruined by Nimrod with his newly acquired stone.

Likewise I am right there with you on the love of an honestly acquired patina. Pristine mint knives have their place as well, but for a user knife, you just can't beat the hues and patterns of 1095HC that has "seen the elephant".

Codger

I agree about the patina.Other than a few scrims very few of my knives are mint.I like a user that shows its character.I also agree about the trend to take a good knife and beat it to death with a peice of wood.When I was learning to use a knife if I had hit a knife with a chunk of wood that chunk of wood would have landed alongside my head.My grandfather beleived in respecting his tools.I have been thinking of asking them if they thought my 18OT was suitable for batoning toothpicks out of matchsticks.Arnold

I have been trying to get hold of a USA made 171UH for sometime, recently I searched Google, and up came link to Yahoo auctions, on there was listed an original style Schrade-Walden birds head pommel 171UH, I won the item at $65.00, I think it was a good find? I didn't think that I would be able to add this style to my collection ahead of the latter version with the longer Staglon handle. see attached picture.

Rusty 1

Attachments

• SCHRADE 171UH STYLE 1a.jpg
    SCHRADE 171UH STYLE 1a.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 59
Great score.Looks to be in great shape.If you could please look at the swedge and see how many grind lines were used to grind it down,two or three.Also if you would could I have the serial number.I'm trying to document a design change on the early BH series.Also are the snaps on the sheath brass or N/S.Thanks Arnold

An excellent deal Rusty! And I am sure others will agree too. What is the serial number? Can you post (or e-mail) scans of the paperwork? I see a few details different from my knife. The brass rear spacer appears wider, the swedge and point slightly different.

Codger :thumbup:

Arnold, the serial number is 08881, and the grind lines are two, the snaps on the sheath are brass, hope this helps your research,

Codger, I will scan the paperwork tommorow and send It via e-mail

Regards to both of you

Rusty 1

Just pulled my papas old knife out of the closet... it's stamped schrade-walden n.y. usa 171uh and serial number 00656... who would be the best person to appraise this knife?

171UH Uncle Henry Pro Hunter
History Research

The Schrade Uncle Henry 171UH Pro Hunter is a classic, though fairly rare pattern, and one of the larger Schrade fixed blade knives. The 171UH was first introduced in the 1971 catalog and was produced for thirteen years, being discontinued after the 1983 catalog year. It was manufactured for an additional two years in 1990 thru 1991 before being discontinued again.

During the first production run, it was made with the SCHRADE-WALDEN tang stamp for two and a half years before the name changed to Schrade Cutlery and the tang stamp SCHRADE. This tang stamp was used for the remainder of the first run, and also during the brief two year reintroduction. In the 1971 catalog it was referred to as the "BIG PRO HUNTER" (The name later changed to "PRO HUNTER"), and sold for $25.00. It remained $25.00 through 1972, and in the Schrade Walden catalog in early '73, then was listed at $26.50 in the midyear Schrade Cutlery catalog. 1974-'76 the price was $30.00, then $40.00 for 1977 thru 1979. In 1980 it listed for $42.95, $44.95 in 1981, and finally $49.95 in 1982-'83. It sold for $79.95 in 1990 when reintroduced and the final price in 1991 was still $79.95. Limited editions and commemorative of this knife were produced.

The first 171UH's when introduced in 1971 had an aluminum or nickle silver birds head pommel. Not long after the introduction, the birds head pommel was dropped and it had the squared brass pommel. The 1990-'91 issues had a blade etch "Schrade" over "Super Sharp". Some were serialized on the front of the pile side guard. Serial numbers I have seen so far were #13843 - #95259, though this is by no means a complete survey of the numbers issued. This pattern is a hidden tang Staglon handled knife with a brass pommel cap on the later issues, having a mounting screw much like the 153UH Golden Spike. I have not disassembled a 171UH, but on the 153UH the screw threads into a cylindrical bushing in the tang.

The handle design, both shape and texture, is very similar to the earlier '49er series.

The blade is 5 ½" long, early knives being 1095HC high carbon steel, and later ones being “rust resistant high carbon steel” (same as Schrade+), sabre ground clip point, nearly 1 ½" wide and thick of spine making a very sturdy knife. None of the pre-1974 knives have the “Schrade+” stamp, and I have not seen later ones with it.

There are no known predecessors or descendants of this particular pattern, and unlike most Uncle Henry knives, it does not have an Old Timer counterpart. The one piece brass guard curves toward the rear at it's lower end. The complete knife weighs 12.6 ounces, the sheath another 5 ½ ounces making the full carry weight over a pound. It is 10 ½" total length without the sheath.

All of the first issues, and most of the second came with a flat stitched stone pocket sheath with sharpening stone. Brass snaps were most commonly used for the securing strap and stone pockets, but one sheath has been seen using nickle silver instead. No rivets were used around the stitching. Some of the last came with a simple flat stitched sheath with no stone pocket. The ones I have seen have no rivets finishing the stitching at the sheath throat, and use nickle silver snaps. They also have the handle retainer strap with the cover snap on the left side, and the male portion on the right. This same strap orientation has been used on all of the 171UH stone pocket sheaths I have examined. The sheaths of both types have had the strap simply fed through two vertical slots die stamped in the belt hanger and not retained with a rivet, so it is possible that an owner might change the orientation themselves. This unattached condition resulted in strap loss on some sheaths, as well as some straps being fed through the slots incorrectly.

Since I recently acquired the #02432 Birds head pommel Pro Hunter from a fellow forum member (they were breeding in his collection and threatened to take over), I will be in touch with Sheathmaker for a custom/classic sheath for this knife. Yas, I think basketweave to match the 165 and 15OT sheaths he has made for me.

Codger

PS: Did you know that the name "Pro Hunter" not only was used on this 171UH, but also the PH series, and was the first advertised name for the 165UH Prospector circa 1968?

I think there was an Imperial knife with this name as well, possibly a folder.
Mine has the aluminum pommel and no stone pouch on the sheath the s# is 08424

My early 171UH is not a Schrade Walden stamped knife, but has the low serial number of #02129. Along with my research on the 885UH stockman, this is another example of Schrade starting over the serial numbers with a tang stamp change.

HZrojL8.jpg

Ok I didn’t realize they done that on the # . My parents got me this knife and a Winchester pump shotgun the same Christmas . I wouldn’t even think about selling it

Back