18" Ang Khola

Wow!

Just received a non blem 18" Ang Khola by Kumar and it is gorgeous!
My measurements switch from metric to your U.S system, not too familiar with partial inches.

Blade length 12"
Handle length 6"
Weight 1lb 12oz
Bolster length 3 cm.
Spine thickest 1 cm
Karda 6" long, blade 3.25"
Chakma is similar to above.
POB roughly 10 cm from the habaki give or take a cm.

Big diameter on a superbly carved handle. One of the best carved handles I have. Rosewood handle is a dark reddish brown with a great deal of depth. Some tung oil will really bring out the grain after a good cleaning. Usually some of the wood handles I have received have been thick with polishing rouge, very annoying. This one didn't have much!

Cho starts off about a little more than 1.5" out, and the "habaki" part of the bolster is less than a centimeter long. Cho is cleanly cut and formed beautifully.

Scabbard is a tight fit around the habaki and you can hang this sucker upside down and will not fall out. Don't shake it though, unless you have something against your toes.

Brass is clean and relatively free from oozing laha.

Blade is sharp! Paper cutting test passed!

Blade itself, clean lines, beautifully shaped. No hard grind lines to complain about here! Great finish to a stunning blade.

Agile blade, with a definite presence. This khukuri handles very fast at only 1lb 12oz. My m43 weighs in at 32oz and feels like a tank compared to this Ang Khola with a 4 oz difference. I wouldn't want to be at the end of this one... scary thought.

My hats off to Kumar, Birgorkha, and the Martino family. I wanted this as a heavy chopper but is far too beautiful and graceful to use. Just a perfect effort in my opinion.

The Ang Khola family is my personal favourite. It's clear that I need to get another 18" by Sher this time in horn. Oh yea, more 20" are definitely needed. Just goes to show you with Himalayan-Imports, 2 of each is the only way to go.

Dave "Happy beyond belief" Hahn

So sue me!

I couldn't let them lie there unwanted - so I adopted the poor little orphans and now they have a family and are cared for!
:p ;)

lunatics...

(unless of course you happen to be talking about gelbu specials. then its ok to have four or five of them.)

And just whose avatar shows a ninja against a full moon? ;)

thats not a full moon, its a macadamia nut and white chocolate cookie.
yeesh.
some people...

Rusty said:
And just whose avatar shows a ninja against a full moon? ;)
Little Bro, didn't you know that's the call sign on the searchlight for calling the one and only Bat Ninja?!?!?!?:rolleyes: :p :D ;)

Back