18" CAK Chopping

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Skyler R., Jun 7, 2007.

1. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    Went for a bit of a walk today. While on it I found a tree that had fallen a few months prior, so I had a little fun with the 18" CAK I had with me. The CAK went through it like a champ and still shaves afterwards. :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    Always like to see chopping pics! What's the diameter of the trees? 9"?

3. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    Wow

Now that is a workhorse

4. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    18" is a good size for a CAK. It's larger than the standard 16.5" but not quite as bulky as my 20" AK.

And it looks to be a powerful chopper too.

5. IUKE12

IUKE12

Nov 25, 2005
    Looks like cedar from here, nice chopper you have there. Strip off some of that bark, makes good fire tinder.

6. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    10 1/2" diameter, good sized, but not the biggest the CAK has seen before. ;)

7. JStrider

JStrider

Sep 1, 2006
    I love my 18" CAK
    really gets the job done
    but mines not anywhere near close to shaving sharp... need to spend some time on that...

8. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    I was lucky enough that mine came with a very beefy full convex that was very sharp (villager sharp). A few swipes with 800 grit sand paper and a few more swipes with a very fine ceramic rod and it was there. :thumbup:

9. MassMatt

MassMatt

Apr 2, 2006
    Great looking Kukri you have there.

I am actually also impressed with your chopping techique, the cut is quite flat, not chewed out at multiple angles and so on. Remind me not to get mistaken for timber around you.

10. wjzgma

wjzgma

Sep 4, 2002
    Hey Skyler...great pics. Thanks for sharing and what's the other blade in the picture?

11. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
  12. wjzgma

wjzgma

Sep 4, 2002
    Thanks...I thought I recognized the logo on knife in the picture. I own Rosarms Sting, a wide 3" skinning blade that is used mostly as a cooking knife. Love it!!! All it needs to keep sharp is a little bit of steel or strap.

13. 37up

37up

Jun 16, 2002
    why is the tree all red in the centre like that?

Natural or disease?

14. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    Dave this is what is known as Eastern Cedar but is really a type of Juniper. It is also known as Aromatic Cedar and used for cedar chests and to line closets in some of the higher dollar homes. It is also the favored wood to make ndn Flutes with. The red coloring runs into several shades of red and even into the purples sometimes and is 100% natural to the species.

Edit:
    You can see very well made ndn Flutes Here. I don't have any interest in Odell's business except being a happy customer.:)

15. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks for the information Yvsa. The limbs of the tree are much darker then where I chopped it. The limbs in most cases where a deep purple. Really neat wood, I think I will go back out and get some of it to keep.

16. C.S. Graves

C.S. Graves

Jun 13, 2006
    Ahh, well, I guess I wasn't THAT far off. I must ditto the compliments on your chopping. Nice rounded off stump, not like the jagged woodchip-laden stumps I tend to leave behind.

Nice thing about these larger diameter trees at odd angles is that you only have to chop so far, and the weight of the tree does the rest, with a minimum of danger. If I had to chop all the way through all 10"+ of some trees, I probably wouldn't have had the energy to bow saw 'em up for takin' home as firewood!

As per the Rosarms... for some reason I used to think the brand name was actually "Zlatoust". :confused:

17. heheheq

heheheq

Dec 7, 2009
    What was the biggest tree that CAK has seen before?
    And how do you chop so smoothly? I tend to splinter and leave chips all around the place.

18. Skyler R.

Skyler R.

Dec 27, 2005
    If I recall correctly something around 17". It's all about technique and accuracy.