18" Panchthar Chitlangi

I got this on last friday's Deal 0f The Day for a friend of mine who tried out some of my khukuris a few weeks ago and just like me, fell in love with the Chitlangi.

Exact measurements are:

18.5" overall length
12.25" blade length

I called him on his cell phone when I got it out of the box and by the time he got off work a few hours later I had applied one of my notorious surgical hand convexed edges on it.

So, when he arrived we did some cutting and chopping with our new khukuris.

One thing I can say about the 18.5" Panchthar is this:

In my opinion, this is the katana of khukuris!

It is incredibly fast and agile as a cat. The cutting power is phenomenal and equal to my larger khukuris in some ways.

VERY sharp point with excellent penetrating power.

The panchthar chitlangi would be my #1 pick as a pure self-defense fighting khukuri. I bet this thing would be downright vicious in a street fight.

Sharks beware: if I see a Panchthar Chitlangi of 20" or so, I'm pouncing on it on sight!

This one has a small crack on the back of the saatisal handle, but after an hour of chopping and cutting, it didn't become any larger. I think it's just a surface crack and advised him to put some superglue or epoxy in it and/or polyurethane the handle as a preventative measure.

But needless to say though, he loves it and plans buying more. Soon another shark will be in our waters. Look out.

Here it is, beautiful work by kami Santosh:

HPIM0866.jpg

Great review and picture, thank you

I have one of those as well. Only mine isn't a Santosh blade I think it was made by Sher, at least it is the mark he used. I find it to have a totaly different feel than my M-43's. It would truly prove devastating in conflict, but I think that I would prefer my Bura made M-43 over the Chit. Good blades both

the wideness of that primary bevel makes the blade look like you could sharpen it up to scalpel sharpness...

I love a Chitlangi!
Steve

Here's all the chitlangis I've bought from HI:

Chitlangis6-16-08.jpg

26" Chitlangi - saatisal - kami Bura
23.75" Wolf's Battle Chitlangi - saatisal- kami Santosh
21.5" Chitlangi - horn - kami Sher
18.5" Panchthar Chitlangi - saatisal - kami Santosh
15.5" Chitlangi - horn - kami Santosh

This should give everyone an idea of scale.

I love the "bell" shaped butt on that khukri! It compliments the blade very nicely.
I think it is a winner for sure.

Here's all the chitlangis I've bought from HI:

Chitlangis6-16-08.jpg

26" Chitlangi - saatisal - kami Bura
23.75" Wolf's Battle Chitlangi - saatisal- kami Santosh
21.5" Chitlangi - horn - kami Sher
18.5" Panchthar Chitlangi - saatisal - kami Santosh
15.5" Chitlangi - horn - kami Santosh

This should give everyone an idea of scale.

i love that middle one by sher......boy, do i miss his work.....he made some great blades.....great thick blades......

My Chitlangi by kami Sher is still my favorite.

Not just my favorite khukuri, but my favorite blade of any I own.

There's something special about it.

My Chitlangi by kami Sher is still my favorite.

Not just my favorite khukuri, but my favorite blade of any I own.

There's something special about it.

i can see why....absolutely beautiful blade....

is it thicker than the rest???

i can see why....absolutely beautiful blade....

is it thicker than the rest???

No. It's the same thickness as the 26" by Bura: 7/16" at the bolsters.

The Battle Chitlangi by Santosh is the thickest. The blade is exactly 0.5" at the bolster.

Hi guys, this is my first khukuri. Wolf originally bout one 20 years or so ago. It was a cheaper mass produced blade, and i didn't really care for it. After trying a few of his HI blades I was very impressed. The even seem to teach you to use them properly! I will say after several days of use around the farm and campsite, I have found this to be very fast and efficient tool/weapon. Just this morning I got my first kill a full grown groundhog. It split the body down the spine and buried itself into the dirt! I am fully happy with its usefulness around the campsite as well, it maintains a very keen edge even after heavy use. In conclusion this will be my first of many khukuris from HI!:)

Hi guys, this is my first khukuri. Wolf originally bout one 20 years or so ago. It was a cheaper mass produced blade, and i didn't really care for it. After trying a few of his HI blades I was very impressed. The even seem to teach you to use them properly! I will say after several days of use around the farm and campsite, I have found this to be very fast and efficient tool/weapon. Just this morning I got my first kill a full grown groundhog. It split the body down the spine and buried itself into the dirt! I am fully happy with its usefulness around the campsite as well, it maintains a very keen edge even after heavy use. In conclusion this will be my first of many khukuris from HI!:)

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your khukuri. If it's the one in the first post it is a splendid design, and not very common.

Yes, they do teach. Listen carefully, for they also discipline if you don't.

Hope you'll share your groundhog recipe.

Back