Off Topic 1840 NCO sword

kvaughn

Gold Member
1840 NCO sword in very good condition. German S&K. Wire wrap handle intact. Blade has not been ground or sharpened. No rust. Slight pitting at tip. Handle tight. Leather sheath cushion at base of blade intact. No sheath. --Any idea on the value? Will try to post a pic later.--Thanks

The US m1840 nco did not have a wire wrap. The current US nco sword may. There were a great variety of period swords that resemble each other, kind of like lumping all katana together.

This is an Ames 1864 dated m1840 nco with a shorter Roby US Marines musician boy's sword. The standard m1840 musician swords lack the counterguards. All associated variations have cast brass grips. That includes the uncommon and short lived general officers sword.
L8Uz1KX.jpg

HppUVCh.jpg

Please do post a picture.

Cheers

GC

Last edited:
The current US Army nco sword
ZfOlZ8S.jpg

An S&K marked blade on a sword that looks similar any of the above may well be older than you think. The US m1840 nco is a mutt derived of both French and other European trends.

Cheers

GC

The 1840s m1840 general officer sword was replaced by the m1850 but these were retained for generals only, during the ACW period.
bgNx5Km.jpg

Again, an amalgamation of sorts and not unlike the British p1796 infantry swords, which in turn were modeled after the earlier 18th century Prussian swords.

Cheers

GC

The US m1840 nco did not have a wire wrap. The current US nco sword may. There were a great variety of period swords that resemble each other, kind of like lumping all katana together.

This is an Ames 1864 dated m1840 nco with a shorter Roby US Marines musician boy's sword. The standard m1840 musician swords lack the counterguards. All associated variations have cast brass grips. That includes the uncommon and short lived general officers sword.
L8Uz1KX.jpg

HppUVCh.jpg

Cheers

GC

L8Uz1KX.jpg

HppUVCh.jpg

Cheers

GC

Can you be more specific in which one you are curious about? The only wire wrapped sword I have shown thus far is the modern regulation, currently available, US Army nco sword. I would be repeating my comments verbatim otherwise.

Cheers

GC

feel free to email me the pictures and I'll get em up
gcleeton@gmail.com

Last edited:
The larger sword of the two with the pics taken on a deck appears to be almost identical to the one I have other than the pommel on mine is flatter/not as cone shaped and the grip is wire wrapped The tang on mine is marked S&K.--Schnitzler & Kirschbaum- German-Active from 1787 to 1865. No other markings. The grip does not have a pommel nut to remove it from the blade. My understanding from the paper work that came with this is that it is possibly a pre C.W. piece as the later models had a cast rather than wire wrapped grip. Will try to get some pics up in the next couple of days. Thanks a lot for your help.--KV

Last edited:
All m1840 nco swords had cast grips. That includes all imports meant for that role. There were never any exceptions to that rule. The very similar French models and swords of other countries, very often had full wire or wire on leather. I look forward to the pictures.

Cheers

GC

Back