1952 336rc on the way

I have had the itch to get a second MArlin 336 for a while. This one popped up and I was able to procure a trade with the semi local owner. I am hoping this gun is still robust to get alot of use out of.

Anyone have any time with an old Marlin such as this to make me hope it isnt just an oldy goldy for the gun cabinet?

Looks pretty good so far. Owner says it shoots fine.

1707e59c.jpg

3c3ea9a7.jpg

16ff952e.jpg

Sweet! I've been toying with the idea of picking up a 336 for sometime now. Perhaps its time to "pull the trigger" as it were?

Looks pretty good so far. Owner says it shoots fine.
1707e59c.jpg

blgoode, I have my father's 336C he bought while I was still in high school in 1968. It doesn't get used as much as it did back then, but I still take it out a few times a year just to make sure the lever still works . . . :)
I have personally witnessed my dad hitting groundhogs @ 120-135 paces on our farm back then. I think you will be ok with this one. You might want to take it to a local gunsmith & have him check everything out since you bought it used. Good luck & good shooting.
p.s.: Friendly reminder, be sure & use only round nose bullets . . . :D

Last edited:
That thing is beautiful. Enjoy it. I wanted a 336 a while back but was dissuaded when I found out there's plastic parts in the new ones.

I have an old 336 .30-30 that was my dads and is at least 50 years old. It's an old "Western Auto Supply" branded rifle, but as per gun blue book, a Marlin. My dad didn't maintain it at all, and after I adopted it about 20 years ago, cleaned the barrel and dropped some rem lube in it and it's shot great every since. I admit I don't use it hardly at all, but it always fires and has smooth action. I can pretty much maintain 2" groups at 100 yards with the factory open sights and can empty the tube magazine in just a couple of seconds. If that rifle's even moderately taken care of, it should shoot like a dream. Mine looks identical to yours, even the sights are the same.

Brian

That's a nice looking stick - so long as the bore is good it's got a LOT of good years left in it. I have a couple pretty much the same as far as both condition and vintage and my boys shoot them all the time. They just keep ticking away.

My favorite load is the Speer 130 gr FP and an almost max charge of H335 - been using it to drop critters for years and never a failure thus far...

blake

Thanks Blake! This one has a wiggly magazine tube but nothing that presents a problem :)

Thanks Blake! This one has a wiggly magazine tube but nothing that presents a problem :)

I've had a couple with some movement and i bedded them in Devcon or JB Weld and it worked like a charm. a rubber o-ring between the tube and barrel with the screw thru it works well also and is less permanent...

blake

I'll see if it becomes an issue :)

I don't mind wiggly if it's not a problem.

Here was a 336 I had , burned in a house fire. It was given to me by my Grandfather way back when I was 12 and started deer Hunting.

marlin336-1.jpg

blgoode, Thats a beauty you got there !

Thanks man! Really enjoy the 336's balance and size.

bl, maybe you know the answer to this,,, My 336 pictured above had the short mag tube, Most others I see have the full length tube as yours does. Do you know why ?? Cuz i could never figure that out.

That's one sweet rifle you got there and its even got a nice piece of walnut on it. They just don't make them like that anymore. I'd like to find one of that vintage one day.
It would definately be worth getting. :thumbup:

Not sure why yours has a shorter mag tube. What model number is on the side? 336??

My guess is the measured the length of the cartridge and built tube around that. Mine holds 6. Measure 6 cartridges and see if it's the length if the tube :)

Back