1hr Podcast w/SharpByCoop: 'Knives are like pretty girls'

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by SharpByCoop, Jan 18, 2017.

1. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    Hi friends,

I got an email from Anthony Sculimbrene a month or so ago: "Would you like to be a guest on our ongoing bi-weekly talk show podcast? It's called Every Day Commentary, and we talk about all kinds of knives and the people involved" Maybe you are a subscriber?

Ummmmm...... Sure!?! (I had not heard of this until he called, and I waited until the next day to listen to a couple of Episodes, which were casual, informative, and good fun.)

He's been following my Instagram and BF gallery, and thought my insights would be informative for his audience.

Tony is a savvy interviewer and allowed me freedom to dialog, yet prompted plenty of provocative questions.

The show opens with small talk and promo for his sponsors, and after introductions he gets to asking about what I'm carrying and my EDC stuff as well. I offer a number of knives which vary whether I'm in my studio, or on a dock. (You will learn a little something about 'rope' here....)

• He gets right to my shooting of the King Tut dagger for Phil Lobred from Buster Warenski, as well as discuss the other premier knives from that legacy: The Gem of the Orient, and Fire and Ice. (I made a blunder which I regret; I remarked they were all owned by Phil. No so. I'm a dunce. So sue me.)

• My vision of the Top Five makers in the world (Based upon collectability and cost) One of them will surprise you.

• I mispronounce :rolleyes: Wolfgang Loerchner's name later in the pod even as I describe how it's supposed to sound (Lorknurr).

• We talk about where the Tactical market is evolving and what my thoughts are for the Next. Big. Thing.

• We talk about Lloyd Hale.

• We talk about my beginnings in Custom Knives and photography.

• We talk about HOW I take photos: What's the process?

• We talk about composite images (and why they are more than meets the eye)

• I talk about the (4) aspects needed for successful Knife Photography: Shooting and editing are only two....

• We talk about adding value with engravers. Who some of the best are.

• He asks me where Knife Photography is going. I offer my insights.

• And we close with a discussion about Loveless Big Bear's and his shop.

• You will see why he chose that title.

He literally says it was the most fun and informative interview he's ever had. This is podcast #81....! :eek:

Every Day Commentary Podcast - Click here for page. Click player at bottom.

I warn you: It is OVER an hour. (And at one point I roll my eyes as I remark how viewing a video longer than one minute is painful...) However, I am an animated speaker. My friends and family have told me for years.... ;)

If you do listen, take it in bites here and there. But I think you will find it a cool extension of many of the things which excite us here.

Let me know if you do.

Jim

2. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Haven't seen the podcast yet, but I have to say your new logo is 1000X better than the previous rendition.
    Well done.

3. BenR.T.

BenR.T. Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler Moderator

Apr 18, 2011
    Listening now!

4. FOG2

FOG2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2007
    I will fer sure be checking it out. But it,s dinner time now. Thanks for posting it.

5. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    very enjoyable !

6. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Awesome Jim can't wait to listen to it

7. Logan Pearce

Logan Pearce Awesome Sauce Smith (A.S.S)

Jan 21, 2012
    Best podcast that I have listened to in a while. Great job! Also, I love your new logo/watermark.

8. KamSingh

KamSingh

Jan 9, 2006
    Great podcast! Have been very grateful for your willingness to share your knowledge over the years, I've been using a similar setup for a few years now although more low budget, camera is still the same one I started with, Canon 400D, for lighting I'm simply using an external flash paired with a wireless transmitter, these can both be bought on Amazon for less than $50! Granted it's not a Speedlite but light output seems the same, good enough to let you shoot without a tripod at F22 and that's without the flash on full power.

9. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    Ben, John, Logan, Kam: Cool! Thanks for taking that time.

I had as much fun as anyone (as you could tell).

Ebbtide: Did you mean this black and grey iteration, or the previous 8 years version....:confused: Regardless, I am happy it meets your astute eye. :)

Kam: you have always been resourceful and understand smart lighting.

Coop

10. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    The new black and gray version rules :)

11. hoyer

hoyer

Feb 4, 2008
    Excellent interview Coop! Very fun to listen to! Thanks for sharing!

12. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment

Jan 12, 2005
    Listened in the shop yesterday - never would have guessed you were competitive, bud.

;)

Good stuff!! It could easily have gone on another hour and still not given you enough time. Lot to share!! Thanks for the brief glimpse into your world, my friend.

13. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Listening now! Learning a lot. Thank you