1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1St Busse

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Ronin165, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Ronin165

Ronin165

Oct 7, 2017
    https://imgur.com/gallery/SXAaU

Hi,
    Long time lurker, 1st time poster. I’ve learned a lot from all of you, thanks. I have numeous knives from different makers (Randall, Winkler, Reeves, Blackjack, and most of the production brands). I’ve recently received my first Busse; DS8, black handle, competition finish. There is just something about it: The grind, the grip angle, the feel in my hand. I haven’t been able to put it down. Definitely a keeper and a user. I had a combat master sheath all ready to go for it, I’m sure I’ll get a kydex sheath for it too. Actually the 2nd Busse that I ordered. The first was the HOGB8, can’t wait for that. Thanks again for all the great info, I’m planning on upgrading my membership shortly.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Congrats and welcome! :)

I thought the DS8 would be redundant to my B8...so I passed...but I'm gonna pick one up, this I promise ya!

You've set the bar high for your first pair of Busse....:cool:

So have you picked out your next "acquisition?"

- SpyderMan - and Mike Pierson like this.
  3. Ronin165

Ronin165

Oct 7, 2017
    I had ordered the HOGB8 to possibly carry in place of my Randall fireman’s knife. I wanted to try something larger for use as an entry tool in addition to some other devices I have on my plate carrier. May or may not be feasible. The DS8 came along and it just called out to me. I tried for a mil overrun version but lost out. I’ll definitely carry it,and have been for the past few days, in my go bag. I plan on giving it a good “testing” next month on the Appalachian trail, hopefully the HOGB8 will be here by then too. I also plan on pitting them against a couple of old doors I’ve got in my shed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    - SpyderMan - and luethge like this.
  4. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000
    The DS8 was a great choice for a do-anything, all around blade. Tremendous performance-to-cost ratio and performance-to-weight ratio. Congrats!

The HOGB8 is a fantastic choice as an upgrade from the Randall Fireman’s knife. I’ve had the Fireman, and it’s an impressive slab of steel, but the reach, ergonomics and steel quality of the HOGB8 should make it a better choice in every respect for demolition and mayhem.:thumbsup:

You’ve done extremely well for yourself, Grasshopper!!!:D

- SpyderMan - likes this.
  5. freehouse32

freehouse32 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I can't wait for the HOGB8!!!

I was on the fence for the longest time about a B8 and when the HOGB8 came along I hoped all over it. My only regret is that I only ordered 1 since I am low on funds. I ended up ordering a clip point with penetrator tip. Looking back I wish I would have ordered one in the classic blade shape too!!! (Will's post easily convinced me to go with the long clip seeing the war feather)

I got a DS8 too!!! I love it! I actually prefer it over the TG series.

The TG look awesome to me and feel great in the hand but the top guard seems to kill it for me as a user. Seeing the DS8 is the same blade is a huge win for me!

I try not to keep blades unless I use them so I have since let all my TG go.

Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL!!! There is no such thing as one and done around here!

We can see you have great taste!

I first ordered an RMD in August of 2015 after randomly learning about swamp rat knives and I knew nothing about Busse and kin at that time but decided to try the RMD.

I eventually got the RMD a week or so before the grab bags in March 2016. Well... needless to say I feel in love with the RMD and Busse Combat and picked up 4 grab bags and I have been hooked since!!!

I have had at least 80 models come and go so far in my short time around here lolol!

I am currently sitting around 35 while I wait to try some out and decide which to keep and which to turn back loose to the trough!

So far I am in LOVE with my FAT ASH-1, Original Urban Grudge, HG55, Battle Saw, Max Duty, and ASH-2!!!

But the DS8 quickly moved up!!!

GL in your quest!

luethge and - SpyderMan - like this.
  6. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    Welcome, but be advised you have taken the first steps on a slippery slope!:D:thumbsup:

7. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan -

Mar 28, 2015
    Excellent choice! Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club.

:thumbsup:

8. zmbhntr

zmbhntr ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿''̿ ̿ Platinum Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Congratulations and welcome! That is a great first Busse. Next I would recommend you look into a large Battle Mistress; I would recommend one with a fusion handle, but they are all great.

9. 360joules

360joules Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I couldn't think of a better 1st Busse/kin. I've had quite a few Busse-kin and have the same experience as you with this one...I can't put it down!

Congrats! :D

10. ragnerok

ragnerok Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2008
    You did some really good picks there, buddy! Cant go wrong with Basic, got a few myself. First Busse was a Euro Basic-6, waiting for the DS-8 and the Hogb-8 to come.

11. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Welcome, and congrats on the HOGB8 and DS8!
    Now watch out, they multiply! ;)

12. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    Great first blade! I haven't said it but I will now- I fk'd up on the DS8 - I wasn't into rubber handles, no interest. I've never held or seen one, it was the reason I didn't grab the HogB8 until the last minute. I let myself be talked into it.
    Since then, I've gotten a lot of opinions and education on the Res-C and seeing these DS8's in CF, sob they're nice looking blades -