1st Impressions on Babyboot, Lil Lady and new Navy burlap

Warrior108

Platinum Member
Hi All,

@romarin Navy Bushboot
SonnyJim SonnyJim Dritios Dritios Babyboot
abcatpb abcatpb Lil Lady
and anyone else going forward

When you receive any of these goodies, would you mind sharing any thoughts? Look, feel, handling, grip, new Navy vs older Navy, etc? It would be very much appreciated. Pics are always helpful too.

Thanks!
Jerry

My Lil Lady arrived today. I've never written an online review for anything but I'll attempt to give some quick first impressions. I'll use the HB as a point of reference for most of my discussion.

For starters, the OAL is 6 15/16", 5/16" shorter than my HB. The weight is 3.05 ounces which is about 1/2 ounce less than my HB. In my hand the LL has a decidedly smaller feel to it compared to the HB. I think that's mainly due to the shape of the handle, which is obviously based on the full sized LF. Specifically, the shape of the pommel does take away from the space for your fingers. I have medium-large hands and find myself thinking this is a three finger knife when I pick it up, but I am fully capable of comfortably using all four fingers if I need to. Overall, I really this knife as an alternative to the HB. The combined reductions in mass create a knife that feels easier to carry with minimal loss in functionality. I also think the LL has a very friendly appeal to it in mixed company (non threatening, etc.). I should add that I also have a BCK and I would actually compare the feel of the LL handle to that of the BCK. The BCK is certainly more full, however, the LL's pommel, curved spine and curvy shape make the shape feel very familiar. I the LL is going to get a lot of carry-time in my daily rotation. Here's a couple of pictures for comparison.

SSC_0030.JPG SSC_0029.JPG

My Lil Lady arrived today. I've never written an online review for anything but I'll attempt to give some quick first impressions. I'll use the HB as a point of reference for most of my discussion.

For starters, the OAL is 6 15/16", 5/16" shorter than my HB. The weight is 3.05 ounces which is about 1/2 ounce less than my HB. In my hand the LL has a decidedly smaller feel to it compared to the HB. I think that's mainly due to the shape of the handle, which is obviously based on the full sized LF. Specifically, the shape of the pommel does take away from the space for your fingers. I have medium-large hands and find myself thinking this is a three finger knife when I pick it up, but I am fully capable of comfortably using all four fingers if I need to. Overall, I really this knife as an alternative to the HB. The combined reductions in mass create a knife that feels easier to carry with minimal loss in functionality. I also think the LL has a very friendly appeal to it in mixed company (non threatening, etc.). I should add that I also have a BCK and I would actually compare the feel of the LL handle to that of the BCK. The BCK is certainly more full, however, the LL's pommel, curved spine and curvy shape make the shape feel very familiar. I the LL is going to get a lot of carry-time in my daily rotation. Here's a couple of pictures for comparison.

View attachment 707783 View attachment 707785
Nice Job!

View attachment 707783 View attachment 707785

For a first time sharing impressions of a knife, you did great!!

I seriously want a LL bad. Yours is a beautiful model. Congrats and thanks for sharing. :)

Thank you schmittie for the compliments. I've been secretly admiring the Osage but my usual MO is ironwood or an occasional synthetic. I'm really impressed, the Osage is super nice looking, has a great feel wet or dry and the black pins really pop.

This past weekend I was assigned grill duties for 25+ people for Mother's Day at the sister-in-law's house. It's always fun when you end up in someone else's kitchen (with a lot of responsibility) and you need a sharp knife - LoL! Good thing I came prepared. The small size of the LL doesn't lend itself as a do-it-all, but it sure served me well, especially with deboning a few pounds of chicken. The Osage never got slippery and the unique shape of the handle always gave the knife a positive feel in a variety of grip positions. The guardless design came in handy on the chopping block too. I'm really loving this new design. My apologies for not having any action-photos, I'll try to be better prepared next time.

Cheers!

IMG_0520.JPG

I'm having issues placing better photos of my knives on Blade Forums, so this one will have to do. It keeps telling me that the photos have too much data to put on the server.
This is my initial impression of my navy blue babyboot. I use it as an EDC and it works great for everything from opening packages to food prep and even feathersticking.
The navy burlap is really nice. It reminds me of a burlap form of denim with the deep blue that is accented well with the natural micarta. It fits my hand better than I expected for such a small blade. I usually like the Coke-bottle style handles like the runt more than the curved handles like the 3 finger Joe but the babyboot really was comfortable.
I like to carry my EDC completely in pocket at work and the babyboot fit very well without bulge like the pocket kephart can show due to its bulkier handle. The blade itself is very similar to the sexy, but functional, bushboot style, in a mini version. It lacks the novelty of the odd-shaped neckmuk or 3-finger joe, but I don't need it to be a spoon or box cutter. I do love those knives as well though.
The specs on the babyboot were noted above so I thought I would start with these first general impressions. Thanks.

I will add my thoughts on the Lil Lady I picked up the other week.

It has been getting its fair share of pocket time here lately. To be honest when I first got the knife I wasn't to sure if I liked how small the handle was. I think that was mostly because I had been carrying my Monarch a lot and that has a pretty tall handle. It didn't take me to long though to really start liking the handle. It is very sleek and nimble in the hand.
umJxq3B.jpg

goYWYmm.jpg

It fits very well in a Diomedes APS Count sheath.
TSwSq7r.jpg

I have somewhat smaller hands. I wear a size medium (8) nomex glove. It fits my hand well. The handle shape and size have really grown on me. I used it the other night for some wood prep to start a fire for the wife and kids. It shaved the wood (doug fir) with ease. I didn't notice any rubbing or discomfort at all. After that it was still as sharp as could be. Here are a few more pictures in the hand with some other knives for comparison.
The Lil Lady
ZjMC071.jpg

Hiking Buddy
7PW1E01.jpg

Bushboot
7Aj1PP5.jpg

Monarch
il7jnQM.jpg

Group shot
daLtB81.jpg

All in all the Lil Lady is a winner for me. Especially when I am wanting to carry a smaller sized knife. Even with the smaller size it is really capable of some hard use should the need arise.

One with the big sister.
z2TULMf.jpg

Very glad to hear y'all are liking the new Little Lady and Baby Boot. I think the intention is for them to be used functionally more like the Runt, BLJ, and Neckmuk.

Thanks! Looking good. :thumbsup:

Would you say that this truer navy blue 'scuffs up' white where it rubs against a sheath or other materials, instead of the greenish hues seen on the earlier/other navy?

That's what I think I'm seeing, but would appreciate your confirmation.

~ P.

I see that it is whitening where it rubs on the sheath. It does not appear to be green or yellow. It regains its blue color quickly with a Hoppe's cloth.

Back