2.4 Ounce Day Pack

When I go backpacking, I often take hikes away from base camp.
I always take a fanny pack or small daypack with me.
I put raingear, a 1st aid kit, small survival kit, a knife, bino’s, etc. in it.

I like to be prepared in case I break a leg, it starts to rain or snow, a bear lightly mauls me, or whatever.

I just found the ultimate small and light daypack.
This little pack takes up virtually no room in my backpack and weighs almost nothing.

Specs:
Sea to Summit
20 liter / 1220 cubic inch
2.34 ounces

Last edited:
I have an Eddie Bauer pocket daypack, it collapses on itself and fits in the top pocket. Pretty awesome, except it's falling apart. For foraging and stuff like that it'll be fine, but don't let any abrasive surface get anywhere near it or you'll have gaping holes in a matter of seconds.

I just saw a maxpedition day pack online that collapses like their roly poly pouch. Pretty sweet idea. I think it comes in at more like 8 or 9 oz, though.

My wife and I picked up some "ecobags"... they're pretty big nylon shopping bags that collapse like that and weigh just a few ounces. I used one as a bear bag on our last campout.

I really like the idea of having a daypack available at all times, though. Pretty cool find!

My Osprey Aether has a removable top lid. I just remove the toplid and hipbelt, and i got myself a pretty comfy fannypack!

It works fine, and i dont have to drag and extra fannypack/daypack along.

aether70-modb.jpg

aether70-iman.jpg

aether70-modf.jpg

Yup, I used to have an Osprey like that.
The whole pack weighed a lot though.

I have Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone now. It weighs 3lb 4oz.

That's pretty slick. I like Sea to Summit in general, too.
I use one of LL Bean's "sack packs"(?) occasionally. Probably more durable than that S2S, but not nearly as comfortable with much of anything in it.
This is the only pic I've got. The shoulder straps are just bare webbing, and also cinch the top closed. I would say that it sucks, but suppose it's ok for carrying a jacket and a liter of water, like in the pic. It's reinforced at the top and bottom, and weighs between 4 and 5oz. on my scale.
24905139144698926213247.jpg

I like that REI pack, too, Mike.

That's what I use as a day pack. Mine must be older as it only has one daisy chain strip down the center. For only 9.4 oz it works well without adding any unnecessary weight.

yup, i had one of those originally, until it ripped and i ended up getting a new one..

since there is no internal frame/back panel on this pack, i slide one of these little modded cutting boards down the back to give it a little rigid-ness and protect my back from gear and such poking into it.. not to mention the fact that i love having one of these little cutting boards while out on the trail.. i added some holes in one corner to be used as a strainer...

IMG_8051.jpg

My wife and I picked up some "ecobags"... they're pretty big nylon shopping bags that collapse like that and weigh just a few ounces. I used one as a bear bag on our last campout.

I really like the idea of having a daypack available at all times, though. Pretty cool find!

WOW! those ecobags must be tough if they'll hold your bear! :D

nice find- 2.3 oz (and as a stuff sack you'd be carrying anyways) is definitely light for a day pack

I ended up going w/ Marmot's Kompressor- it's nice little day pack (w/ a few minor bells/whistles), but it's closer to 10 oz

oware also makes one in the 2 oz- ish range

I'm going to keep my Kompressors as they do make a good light daypack, but I like the idea of 2 oz a lot more for something to use for little side trips while backpacking :D

Great idea, thanks! Just ordered a 6.5oz Hammack Bliss version from Amazon. I was looking for something like this but just couldn't put my finger on it.

$25 is a great price and should fit my needs very well.

Back