2 Boys Axes - Restoration

Was lucky to pick up a couple boys size axes and have a little project on my hands. I really like the old axes, good steel, weight, sharpen easy, hold up, etc. So I figured I would see what I could get out of these, restoration wise.

First is an old Flint Edge, one of my favorite lines of old. As you can see it was in pretty rough shape....

SAM_1073_zps312d75ac.jpg

SAM_1074_zps0eb1efc1.jpg

So had some work to do - i got rid of the handle, and it took some work - that is a big metal wedge in there, not wood -

SAM_1075_zpsb29f3cf9.jpg

And here is what come out -

SAM_1076_zpsd834d13d.jpg

So cleaned her up, new handle, and here is how it turned out -

SAM_1090_zps27ba79f9.jpg

SAM_1092_zpsbdb2488b.jpg

SAM_1099_zpsf5ac270c.jpg

SAM_1103_zpsa9d0415e.jpg

SAM_1105_zpsbadeecc6.jpg

I might sharpen it up, might sell it, not sure yet. I really like it though, I thought it came out well. The handle is nice and thin, 28 inches long, and compliments that head very well. Seems to swing easy, and more importantly, feels great.

Next one is a Firestone - somewhat hard to find, but they are out there.

This one was just the head - and it didnt look that hot to start with -

SAM_1077_zpsf67aea76.jpg

SAM_1078_zpseab2a45c.jpg

Got it cleaned up, and new handle - and here we go -

SAM_1094_zpsf8191ad9.jpg

SAM_1095_zpsff695df4.jpg

SAM_1097_zpscc44425f.jpg

SAM_1096_zps696b08c2.jpg

SAM_1098_zps2b9acf9c.jpg

I thought they both turned out well. They feel great, and sharpened up, if so desired would do some business.

Well that was one weekend project.

Thanks!

Those both turned out great. I really like that Flint Edge, looks like it would be a great user.

Nice, Yo. Those turned out great. I would call those SFA *$$ kickers, but that's just my lowly opinion. :D

Nice, Yo. Those turned out great. I would call those SFA *$$ kickers, but that's just my lowly opinion. :D

LOL!
I like my SFA, but you are right!
A SFA can't compare to a good vintage, American made boys axe ;)

Or a new CT for that matter...

What a great pair!

Beautiful restorations. Just what those two deserved. I hope you keep one as a user. A boy's axe is still my favorite all around axe.

Steve.....that's funny.

Remember all the Firestone tires blowing up a few years back?

Going thru the collection, I seem to have #2 of these Firestone Supreme boys axes now......

You mentioned the possibility of selling. Do most people here sell on Ebay, or is there a forum you use?

I'm interested in both buying and selling some pieces.

Thanks.

There's a buying/selling forum here; you can use it as a gold member, I believe.
Great work on great axes, OP.

Yes, thank you. I just never see any axes for sale there. I'm assuming they would go into the "Gadgets and Gear" category?

Hello 'Big O'... That Flint edge is a dream. Pity the previous owner had such bad 'eye to hand' coordination, because I love the shape of the original haft. I must say though mate...the replacement haft is the best I have seen in a long time. That end on shot is magic.

I can't believe 'Bear' or 'M3mphis' haven't offered to take her off you hands for an unfair price.

regards...Frank

I also like the way your Kelly turned out, she's SWEEEET !!Nice work on restoring them,

Double "Trouble" Ott

Smashing. It is a pity about that original helve, its got a great flow to it. I bet it was a joy to swing.

I have a small hatchet with similar dinks in the face as that Firestone.....its been used to hammer nails right?

Hey Operator, has this sweet Flint Edge worked it's way into your user category yet? Just curious...

This thread made me think of something else....where's Frank???? Frank, are you out there our Kiwi friend?

Back