2 Questions about the RAT folder

I've got two questions about the RAT folder: (1) what edge angle should I use on the spyderco triangle sharpmaker, the 40 degree or the 30 degree? (2) why is the RAT model 8848 AUS8 steel, whereas the Utilitac II is AUS8A steel? Is there a difference?

I saw that thread, and it starts off with people saying they're slightly different steels but a lot of others citing experts who say it's the exact same thing. So I'm still confused about it. If it's the same, why would OKC label them differently? So I think the ones who say they're slightly different must be right. That still leaves the question, though, why did OKC use slightly different steels in these knives? Maybe AUS8A is a little tougher because the Utilitac is designed for harder use? It's a little strange because they're both folders, seem to be great general purpose use, but I don't see what difference a little tougher steel would make in this case. Why then didn't they use AUS8A in the RAT as well?

This might be a good question for the Ask Toooj thread. I'd offer an answer, but I honestly just don't know this one.

GrReaper,

As far as the edge angle; your call. If you want slicier, go with 30 Deg. Harder use; go 40 Deg. Edge angles can be anything the user/sharpener wants them to be.
Concerning the Steel: It is the same; AUS 8(A). The "A" denotes Annealed but if it comes in strip form (which is what all blade steel comes from) it is annealed. Both terms get used interchangeably.
The AUS steels are from Aichi Steel company in Japan. A great Martensitic stainless steel. Pretty good performance in a moderate price.
As a general rule of thumb: Aichi AUS 4 equates to AISI 420HC, AUS 6-440A, AUS 8-440B, AUS 10-440C.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Thank you, Toooj. The steel question was eating at me. You guys at Ontario are the best!

GrReaper,

As far as the edge angle; your call. If you want slicier, go with 30 Deg. Harder use; go 40 Deg. Edge angles can be anything the user/sharpener wants them to be.
Concerning the Steel: It is the same; AUS 8(A). The "A" denotes Annealed but if it comes in strip form (which is what all blade steel comes from) it is annealed. Both terms get used interchangeably.
The AUS steels are from Aichi Steel company in Japan. A great Martensitic stainless steel. Pretty good performance in a moderate price.
As a general rule of thumb: Aichi AUS 4 equates to AISI 420HC, AUS 6-440A, AUS 8-440B, AUS 10-440C.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Thanks Toooj,an interesting tibbit of info

Not sure what they are ground to at the factory, but I use the 40 degree for both my rats and I get solid, predictable edges quickly.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

@OKC

Who do you think would be most suitable to answer when could we expect upgraded configurations of Rat 2?
I think that we should get the answer/info when and what we could look forward to...
Why is it a secret, are you building a hype or what?
Hype is a good thing when moderate, but overhyping is not, it tends to dissapoint...

Part of it is that it's a more complicated process than you might think, and sometimes you guys find out it's on the market before I do. Keep in mind, OKC is almost never the first to publish a new item, as we let our customers (the resellers) have first crack in most cases.

OK, I can understand that...thanks for the answer, hope you didn't find the question rude, wasn't ment to be.

Back