• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

2 x 72 Grinder for sale (New manufacturer) Wilmont

New 2 x 72 grinder that I feel has a few more options than what is currently on the market IMO. Pics and videos below should explain what it can do better than I can.
Video link below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tkUnBs_U7c

wilmont3.jpg

wilmont13.jpg

wilmont15.jpg

wilmont18.jpg

wilmont17.jpg

More info at www.wilmontgrinders.com

It sure does handle a hollow wheel Frank. Price is $1500 for Base grinder, flat platten and removable toolrest. Motor and drive wheel must be purchased separately.

wilmont7.jpg

wilmont8.jpg

wilmont10.jpg

Motor and drive wheel, how much?. What hp is the motor and is the variable speed controller for sale? Rey in Texas

Reynaldo
We dont sell motors and or drive wheels.
So far every one of our customers have used Wayne Coe (A fellow knifemaker) for the motors and or VFD's. He is easy to communicate with and has outstanding prices. The motor used in the photos was purchased from him.
A 4" drive wheel can be purchased from either Beaumont or Usaknifemaker.
PS I am using a 1.5 HP motor W VFD and am very happy with it, plus it runs off of 120V.
PSS link for Wayne Coes prices below.
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?13587-Motors-VFDs-Forge-Supplies-etc.
Chris

hi, chris.
this might sound a bit rude rude, but it isn't intended to be - i'm genuinely interested:
what exactly makes this grinder worth twice as much as a comparably-equipped kmg?
kind regards,
mike
:foot:

Nice grinder.

hi, chris.
this might sound a bit rude rude, but it isn't intended to be - i'm genuinely interested:
what exactly makes this grinder worth twice as much as a comparably-equipped kmg?
kind regards,
mike
:foot:

+1
I'm looking at getting my first grinder and while yours looks very nice, and the horizontal feature is nice, I don't see the extra money. Could you please point out the differences. Thanks Jess

Mito0 and Mooseyard
Fair question, and I will try to point out some of the features that are not readily apparent.
1.All Wilmont products include shipping in the Continental USA.
2. All steel in the construction of our base grinder is black zinc coated, so it will not rust nor need to be painted.
3. All aluminum parts are anodized black (9 parts) and all contact wheels and tracking wheels are anodized red (3 parts). The anodizing is not done for looks, its for longevity of the aluminum. Anodizing is significantly stronger than the parent aluminum underneath it.
4. We use larger bearings in the tracking wheel and 2" contact wheel for longer run time between bearings being replaced.
5. Ability to convert to a horizontal grinder in 30 seconds. (Base plates in zinc coated steel available soon w hinge).
6. Ability to rotate, remove, and swivel toolrest quickly and easily.
7. Uses KMG style tooling if you already own it. (Which I did, as I own a KMG)

This grinder is not for everyone though, if you can not use most of these extra added features then this might not be the grinder for you.
But if you attempted to replicate the features built into this one grinder you would pay substantially more than our asking price. Mostly because you would have to buy two grinders, one horizontal and one vertical along with two motors, shipping on two grinders etc etc.
One of the things I attempted to do when designing this grinder is build it so it was modular in design. IE one could build a different shaped toolrest (One to contour a 10" contact wheel in horizontal mode) or a 2" wheel when in horizontal mode. One could make a toolrest that is 14 inches long to work with a grinding jig, etc etc.
I am sure with the knife makers on this site they could easily come up with some ways to use this grinder that I could never fatham.
Chris

wilmont21.jpg

wilmont14.jpg

What's the largest diameter wheel it will handle, and will it also use Bader attachements?

Matthew
I acquired a 14" wheel awhile ago and have neglected to take it to the machine shop to have turned for some bearings yet. So I just clamped it to my 10" wheel to ensure that it would work. I think you could easily get a 16" on there if one needed to.
As for the Bader tooling, I had started a insert awhile back to allow this to clamp 1.250 Bader tooling arms and went ahead and finished it today but after inserting my Bader 8" contact wheel the wheel was 1/2 mis-alligned to the belt. So it looks like a no-go on using Bader tooling.
PS if anyone cars to see the insert just let me know.
Chris

wilmont1.jpg

wilmont2.jpg

Looks to be a well-thought out machine! Going direct drive was a stroke of genius. What's the overall weight of the machine without motor?

Respectfully, I would put some openings in the horizontal position motor support ring to allow a cooling airflow.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, I see one cutout but I am still concerned about the airflow. As a suggestion, perhaps a better design would an upright support permanently mounted to the table that contacts a flat portion of the grinder frame in the horzontal position. This modification would allow you to remove the motor rings completely, with the additional benefit of not having any vibration damage caused to the motor and housing by contact with ridgid materials.

Last edited:
Very cool grinder. I like the 3 tool arm slots. I am not to keen on the flip the base over horizontal design,please do not take offense to my opinion. It takes up to much room on a bench. I also have to agree on the comment made about the motor resting on a ring type base. The tracking looks solid,and that is important. I am constantly wasting a lot of time adjusting the tracking on my KMG. And it is to the point where i am thinking of buying another grinder for the shop.

Matthew
Weight of the machine w-out motor and attachments is 45lb's, the flat platten is 15lb's and the toolrest is 15lb's.
Dennis
Its a 14" wheel I purchased off of ebay awhile back, it was originally 3" wide so I machined 1/2 off both sides to get it 2" wide.
Arakiel
I have considered that, but it would require a 9" tall piece of steel w bumper in order to contact the frame, I have another idea when i have the steel plates cut next week I plan to try.
Jsteele
Upside is you do not have to flip the grinder to use it as a horizontal. It can be configured as a horizontal and kept in a vertical mode. Its just more difficult to see what you are doing when operating grinder this way.
Plus extra plate on the left is only 11.5" wide.
Chris

Chris... thank you for answering my question. Setting up the grinder to work as a horizontal while still standing up would work just like like the MAP arm attachment. What if you were to create a stand for your grinder that can turn the grinder into a horizontal grinder within the stand,just by swinging a handle into that position? the handle can move in a smile motion and lock at the end by placing it into a notch. You can sell the stand for your grinder. Just food for thought..

Back