2000 year old Jade Sword fittings

My customer just sent me these pictures he took of a sword I modified for him. He had purchased a CAS Iberia broadsword and needed somebody to modify the sword ,and make a new scabbard to display his Han Dynasty jade fittings. This involved cutting down and radically reprofiling the tang and ricasso to fit, making a new handle and sheath. It was a serious pile of work. The handle unscrews and dissassembles so that in the future the fittings can be easily freed if necessary. The handle is bloodwood. Believe me, it is some feeling of responsibility handling antique stone fittings. Those chinese carvers had some skill, the parts were amazingly symmmetrical, and the internal profile of the guard is smooth and hyperbolic in three dimensions. The ricasso of the sword had to be tapered to almost a knife edge to fit. He sent me the pictures with a thank you note today. Made my day.

sw1.jpg

sw2.jpg

sw3.jpg

sw4.jpg

sw5.jpg

sw6.jpg

Very nice work, Matt. I sure wouldn't want the responsibility of working with that gorgeous jade. Congratulations on a job very well done!:)

Back