2017 Blade Show • Passion + Talent = Growth!

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
By every measure this year's Blade Show was a larger success than ever before. Record attendance. MORE tables set up in the hall of the Atrium. At 6am on Friday there were 50 people already camped out and on line waiting for the 11am VIP entrance. (I saw them because that's when I arrived to get started!)

Our love of knives and hardware is alive and well and GROWING. Our workload also reflected this increase. Whew. But, we were prepared. :thumbsup:

My room was changed as we arrived to Boardroom #4 which was closer to the show hall. We were reluctant to change, because change IS hard, but in the end it was a better position for us, being in view and closer.

I erected two extra tall banners in the Atrium. Did you see these?

orig.jpg

Susan, Trevor, and I drove from CT to Atlanta a day earlier, arriving Wed. eve. Setup began at 10am on Thursday, and I started actual shooting by 2pm. Projects came to us ALL weekend long, I arrived at 6am all three days, and I finished my last shot at 3:15pm on Sunday afternoon. It. Was. Crazy.

Staffing: Myself in the studio, Susan (Cooper) and Maggie Randall at the front desk, my son Trevor doing pickups and deliveries all weekend, and Buddy Thomason advising clients, and working with me in the studio. I can't say enough good about ALL FOUR of them! :D

I hosted a seminar on Sunday morning @9:30am-10:15am, which talked about the processes and methods and directions that a good photo can provide. (I will write more about this some other post, but not right yet.)

BEFORE I left I had a bunch of savvy makers send me their work ahead of schedule. I am pleased they did so. I will show you a bunch of Show images I finished up just before we sped away...

Matt Parkinson, JS is one of the artists from Dragons Breath Forge, up here in CT. He and his partners were at the Show and had a great event. Here's what they brought:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Jamie Lundell forged this AMAZING 'panabas' with crazy steel.
orig.jpg

Peter Swarz-Burt used his own WOOTZ to create this integral chef's knife.
orig.jpg

And he completes the kitchen duties with this cleaver. :eek:

orig.jpg

Brian Tighe from CA sent me a BOX filled with his extremely well-made button lock folders. Check THESE out!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

(Note: He also brought me another couple at the show, and I know he won an award for it.)

More next post....

R.J. Martin is a veteran maker who continues to embody my thread title. He is ALWAYS innovating, and keeps his work currently suited to the Urban buying public. Sold out ASAP.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Lastly, at 6'7" tall Anders Hogstrom from Sweden is impressive in stature for many things. MOSTLY for his personality, but his knives' quality is right on his heels. ;) These were a hit!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I have MANY more knives to edit and process. It's GOING to take time.

This thread will rise and fall for weeks. Expect to be impressed many times over. I hope you will share your comments in here, as well.

Thanks to all who came by, and apologies to all whom I missed shaking hands with. I can't apologize for the work ethic, which kept me away from socializing too much.

Thank you so very much my friend....this will be another epic Coop Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

This was my 1st experience getting some professional shots of my work and I'm sure I will be back for more as your family was a pleasure to work with.... I'm looking forward to seeing the photos soon.

Had a blast working with Coop again this year at the BLADE Show. Here is the man at work, tongue out like Michael Jordan! Could this be the secret to Coop's special skills?
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

These were shot during Coop's studio seminar/meet 'n greet on Sunday morning.

To ALL: I appreciate your excitement. I'm serving our community, but it's NOT work if you love it!

This was my 1st experience getting some professional shots of my work and I'm sure I will be back for more as your family was a pleasure to work with.... I'm looking forward to seeing the photos soon.

I had the BEST staff in the world. Thank you.

Had a blast working with Coop again this year at the BLADE Show. Here is the man at work, tongue out like Michael Jordan! Could this be the secret to Coop's special skills?
These were shot during Coop's studio seminar/meet 'n greet on Sunday morning.

Since I was a teen, I often get caught concentrating and sticking my tongue out. Can't shake it. The secret is out! :p

Hanging out to see the two sets of master smith knives.
I only WISH. :(

I captured (4) of the five JS sets, and the two MS sets went somewhere else if they got captured at all. Only Chuck Ward, myself and Cory Martin were paying photographers. I'm hopeful the makers supported the show attendees ??

I'll get editing on the wonderful JS sets I DID shoot. Always such a treat!

Thank you!

Good seeing you and the crew, Coop. It was an insanely crazy, busy show!

Look forward to the images & will settle up with ya soon.

I've been busy today. Here's something to enjoy!

Tan Long (Dragon Claw Knives) created this WILD fixed blade!
orig.jpg

David Sharp tells me when he originated this Loveless/Lum tribute knife his 'books' overflowed with orders. Who's surprised?
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I am proud to be one of the very first to recognize and appreciate the genius of Michael Zieba. He can do it all, and he is relentless in his pursuit of creating captivating knives.

For instance, Jason Knight and him have collaborated on a folder. Talent knows talent.
orig.jpg

His clip has his remarkable creature with a long beak in titanium. So very cool!
orig.jpg

His kitchen line can have a colored 'mustard' finish and sports his feather logo.
orig.jpg

Or a raindrop pattern.
orig.jpg

He made this as a commission. A genuine WWI bayonet handle on a cleaver!

orig.jpg

Russ Andrews, MS had this Persian delivered to me (Les Robertson). It is typical of Russ' attention to FINE detail and fine steel.

orig.jpg

And now for the DRUMROLL...

This is a lineup of the (4) set of wonderful ABS Journeyman Smith 'test' knives which passed with flying colors!

Barry Clodfelter
orig.jpg

Tom Ward
orig.jpg

Greg Keith
orig.jpg

And a BOLD statement by my pal Greg Cimms. (Unanimous passing grades!)
orig.jpg

More tomorrow? You bet.

Coop,

Thanks for showing us the great photos of the Bladeshow knives!

Back