1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 17 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KaBar Becker BK 15 Mini Camp!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK 15, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 27; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2017 East Coast Custom Knife Show (ECCKS) • International APPEAL!

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by SharpByCoop, Mar 24, 2017.

1. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    This was the BEST single show for me ever. (Outside of Blade Show)

This year was the 28th annual, and it's probably the fifth or sixth venue it's held at over the years. Now held on the Fort Lauderdale beach at the Westin Hotel, it hosts the VERY TOP makers in the business.

See for yourself: http://www.ecckshow.com/ The folks at FiftyFifty Productions put on the best shows in the industry. (Shoutout: Steve D'Lack, Kylee, Cricket, Peter and Nick. How about that complimentary reception with open bar and hors d'oeuvres on Friday eve? That's how you run a high end show.)

I can only report on the GREAT energy that was presented to me at my small 12' x 12' studio, and I was SO busy I never once set foot in the show hall. I worked (2) 12 hour days in a row, and then stayed on Sunday doing some needed dealer work.

I asked longtime friend Carlos Lopez (Knife Treasures) if he could help me with an assistant, and his daughter Nikki was available to pitch in for the Show. She did a knockout job for me. :thumbup: :thumbup:

[​IMG]

ECCKS Trailer: I'll just bowl you over with THIS beauty from everyone's favorite maker: Wolfgang Loerchner

[​IMG]

I'll add in more comments and updates about my weekend in this post later. Right now let's just get looking...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Before I left for FL, Brian Tighe smartly shipped me these to shoot at home and then ship to the venue. All sold. He's SO good!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim Britton had a great show and no wonder. His small lockbacks are a delight to handle and admire.

[​IMG]

CJ Cai is an amazing engraver. His subjects jump off the knife and capture your eye. Look at this Ninja warrior and his fist coming at you! (This sold immediately.)
    (I had dinner on Saturday with CJ, Keith Ouye and Zaza Revishvilli. What a great conversation we had!)

[​IMG]

Longtime friend and maker Kevin Casey keeps up his worldwide senses by collaborating with Konstantin Pushkarev. KC's feather steel is unsurpassed.
    (I had dinner on Friday with Kevin! I love this guy. So honest and hardworking.)

[​IMG]

3. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Anders Hedlund from Sweden is incredibly gifted. He's the sole designer, builder, and engraver of his clever pieces. His split-forked daggers are mind-blowingly smart.

[​IMG]

So much so, I told him this display is really the commanding view. He agreed! (Thinking out of the 'box' with him. :))

[​IMG]

From Canada, Wolfgang Loerchner brought a BUNCH of 'unconventional' (for him) pieces. Here he is breaching into the dress tactical arena with regards to materials and build.

[​IMG]

Here's a little bit simpler version of the same model.

[​IMG]

The next two are prototypes of models which will be produced by Patriot Bladewerks. Wolfe is now a noted 'knife designer' as well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More later tonight....

4. T.K.C.

T.K.C.

May 7, 2005
    THANK YOU for taking the time to post these!! So many mind blowing pieces!! My favorites are Wolfgang Loerchner's. WOW, just WOW!! :D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  5. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    TKC: Thank you.

I've edited quite a few, but I'm awaiting approvals from the clients before posting. Here's a few which gave me the go ahead. :D

Keith Ouye (oh-yay) and I go back a lonnnng way. He's one of the most affable makers and easily one of THE most generous. I've gone to dinner with him and his family often, and he's always grabbing the check. Damn him. :mad:

His build quality and designs are stable and sought after. Always a GREAT canvas for embellishment. He relies on Bruce Shaw often.

The blade on this one is 'Takafu' layered steel.

[​IMG]

Check out the 'Bullitt' themed Mustang and related mechanical parts. Right up MY alley!

[​IMG]

Matthew and MaryJo Lerch never cease to impress me with the great sense of design and proportion. Case in POINT....

[​IMG]

6. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    sweet thread, Coop- thanks!

7. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    I don't even know how to look at these things!

Brilliant way to solve the flipper-guard-too-big problem with most flippers. I LOVE this pattern.

8. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    Nice Stuff Coop!

I was there Friday as a tourist, would have said Hi, but figured you were covered up.

9. Win Heger

Win Heger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Thanks, Coop, some beautiful knives and photography!

10. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Why I oughta...!! :eek::mad: :grumpy: Yes, I was busy. No, I wasn't too busy to shake YOUR hand. ;)

Man, has it been busy at my desk. I go to youtube, find a varied genre of music for a couple of hours and get editing. :)

Have you folks been watching Tom Ploppert's rise to the TOP? I suggest you pay close attention. Here are three convincing reasons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pinnacle of traditionals has to be a five-bladed folder. I've never handled one better.

[​IMG]

The venerable Q36 by R.J. Martin is a standout in ANY materials.

[​IMG]

The Nylund Brothers from Finland forge their own steel and masterfully design and build their knives. Upper crust!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Beautiful images and blades

12. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Ryan Minchew from Texas has ALL the 'right stuff' in his folders.

[​IMG]

Matthew Lerch is VERY capable of making a button lock 'credit card' auto. Check out the pointy tip and his hardened 'skull crusher' butt. :eek:

[​IMG]

Ranking in my VERY highest of praise for uber-clean and precise machining is the clean work of Michael Raymond. Yes, those ARE integral folders. He's approachable, honest, and relatively affordable. Pay close attention here.

[​IMG]

"You're KILLIN' me Smalls...!" Look at Bill Ruple's work: He's got Bill Burke's blade steel and his own legendary filework together. Hello!

[​IMG]

"Bill who?" says Luke Swenson. ;) Wow. He's doing his own version of masterful, too. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

A2 knives are a combination of two talented artis from So. Africa. Andre Van Heerden is the inlay machinist, and Andre Thorburn does all the grinding and the handwork. The combination is cubed, not squared!

[​IMG]

Local maker from Florida is Schuyler Lovestrand. If you ever have the chance to handle his near-flawless work up close you will understand. :D That's some artifact ivory with the firestarter discoloring still in the handle. (DH3 would be pleased!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More soon.

13. Logan Pearce

Logan Pearce Awesome Sauce Smith (A.S.S) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 21, 2012
    So many amazing knives! I may have slobbered a little.

14. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    What's the inlay material here?

15. JohnPB

JohnPB

Jan 12, 2014
    Absolutely astounding photos!

Thanks for posting them.

16. DEllis

DEllis Part Time Steel Basher

Oct 17, 2007

Looks like meteorite.

Darcy:)

17. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2006
    A folding knife extravaganza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing, Coop!

18. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Thanks buddy, always so nice to see your shots and thoughts....[emoji106]❤️[emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. HTMD

HTMD Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2002
    Excellent work Coop! Kudos to you, the talented makers and embellishers - and also to the show promoters!

20. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Hey guys,

Thank you all. I've taken longer to post the remaining. Just haven't made the time in the Spring rush with my other job.

SpySmasher: That's meteorite.

Coming up; YOWZERS on the next page. :)