• Bocote - Shipping Cost Only - Free

Votes: 46 14.9%
  • Shockwood - $$$

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Ebony - $$

Votes: 36 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alright, now everyone who voted for one of the options that clearly isn't going to win (except Buckeye Burl, 'cause I like it) change your vote to something that might win (including Buckeye Burl, but not Ironwood or Osage Orange). :D :D

I tried to add a vote for buckeye burl; but it wouldn't let me vote for it twice. I did shift my vote from Osage to Koa; as it at least stands a chance (however slim, at this point)

while wood is not my pick for the knife of the wood samples I have seen through out this thread and looked up the Ironwood is the best look to me for this size knife.

I did a knife in KOA last year. It's interesting stuff.

View attachment 910433

(Not trying to sway vote, I did vote for Buckeye)
Beautiful knife glennbad glennbad ... what do you mean by "interesting"? It's definitely a beautiful wood, especially in the form of some quality guitar tops I've admired over the years, but what is your take on it as a knife handle?

Warmoth (guitar parts maker) notes it as a "hard finish required" wood, so my take was always that moisture will affect it more than some of the more stable hardwoods. Not sure how you, or more specifically Buck, finishes Koa on a knife handle.

Beautiful knife glennbad glennbad ... what do you mean by "interesting"? It's definitely a beautiful wood, especially in the form of some quality guitar tops I've admired over the years, but what is your take on it as a knife handle?

Warmoth (guitar parts maker) notes it as a "hard finish required" wood, so my take was always that moisture will affect it more than some of the more stable hardwoods. Not sure how you, or more specifically Buck, finishes Koa on a knife handle.

I found it to be an easy to work wood, sands and finishes easily. It is porous though, and grainy, but that is part of it's appeal. I do like it on a bigger canvas, just to showcase the grain and color. The 34OT in the pic was almost too small IMO.

With 485 votes by my count, even if only half end up buying one we are almost at 250 so that's good!

Seriously (shamless lobby forthcoming) ...
How many of you even have a knife with KOA wood handles? I happen to have one, but I would guess that for most of us, this would be truly unique.

I have only one. Nice curly koa. Koa is awesome, I love it. I have a small stash of it for “someday” projects. But small pieces unless carefully picked from good stock can be less than interesting. Think luan plywood look. Also the good stuff, high figured wood is really expensive unless you stumble on a lucky deal.
If it was to be high figured, curly koa ...I would switch my vote from ironwood. But otherwise I am staying with ironwood.

Ok I changed my vote from ironwood to koa. I kinda have to go with koa living in HI...

Finally decided on voting for Koa. Ironwood loses its contrast over time. Koa, although not as hard as Ironwood, is still very stable and is no slouch in the hardness department, coming in around maple.

Back