2018 Gardening, Landscaping, and Plants

As you know, the splitting is generally an over water problem (natural or otherwise). Legion, choose big containers for tomatoes (think about the size of a half whisky barrel). My container grown ones were so so this year. The only thing I can think of that caused this is I didn't replace the store bought soil from last year. Definitely buy determinant varieties for containers versus the in-determinant varities like Big Boy or Better Boy. Stuff they call patio tomatoes work.

A couple snap shots from Saturday's state park visit. I believe the first photo is Stawberry Bush. It is a southern Appalachian woods shrub and kind of pretty. The others are on the Fallingwater River at Burgess Falls State Park near Cookeville TN. Pretty place! I think you can see why they named that river "falling water".
DSC03580ed.jpg DSC03584ed.jpg DSC03588ed.jpg DSC03594ed.jpg
You can't get to the base of the big falls now. I think I may take my kayak up there and paddle in from downstream. A lake is downstream.

The bottom picture falls is 130 feet tall. Next to last picture is a 30 foot falls.

Last edited:
Cascading waterfalls ... inviting shots rimfire, especially on such a hot day as we're having here (even Sep 17). Looks like more rain over the falls last year - perhaps more rain just like we had then? Lots of fast water in Tennessee? ... from what I recall of the canoe threads in past in the outdoors forums.

TN is a pretty varied place and you have a number of these big water falls East of Nashville (plateau area). You also get a lot of nice water falls and white water in the Blue Ridge area which includes the Smoky Mountain NP. The western part of the state is pretty flat or rolling and to me somewhat boring landscape-wise.

I enjoyed the drive to Burgess Falls SP (~2 hrs). It was nice to see country and farms.

The hummingbirds are very actively hitting the feeders now. I think they will be gone in a couple more weeks or the first cold spell. We had our first frost around Oct. 1st last year which is a little early for here.

Debating yanking my last tomato plant in the garden as I still have the ones in the containers. They aren't growing much now..... The peppers are great however and they're loving slightly milder temps now. I think I may yank the tomato and plant some leaf lettuce and see how it does.... The garden isn't very big, so space is at a premium in general.

Added: Tomato yanked.

Last edited:
Am I town on wifi and catching up with the outdoors threads ... but have some garden pics ready that I hope to post this aft. Last hummingbird sighting here was on Sep 15 (so far) - they are on their way South.

We are following the storm and aftermath as the Carolinas have suffered ... with tragedies and flooding in the wake ... hoping for the best outcome possible for all in the path of Florence.

I've added a third planter ... actually they are more mobile pot stands in practice. If they are on level ground they stack nicely. Also added a long pot stand made from some older 2x4's - this holds (4) 15" pots. All these are set up for now in the general location where my annuals thrive ... in part shade of the maple tree.

DSCF2026 PLANTERS 3 STACKED 750 MED.jpg

DSCF2118 THREE PLANTERS NASTURTIUMS 750 MED.jpg

DSCF2131 NASTURTIUMS 4 PLANTERS 750 MED.jpg

Here, the winter fur coats are well under way. Fat sassy, bright eyed and bushy tailed. Chipmunk cheeks are stuffed, dwindling the birdfeed budget. I have mastered squirrel and chipmunk proofing with the feeder on a wire between high poles but still feed the critters, doves, grackles and jays on the ground. Jays and grackles ... still need to find a way to keep them off the high feeder.

DSCF2168 SQUIRREL WINTER COAT 750 MED.jpg

DSCF2034 BLACK SQUIRREL SUNFLOWER STALK 750 MED.jpg

DSCF2149 CHIPMUNK CHEEKS REAR VIEW 750 MED.jpg

Late nestlings are lined up at the feeder - goldfinch juveniles are so sweet compared to the demando commando baby jays with their squawking and flapping. These little ones just chirp and flutter "I'm hungry."

DSCF2187 GOLDFINCH JEUVENILES 750 MED.jpg

That is a great picture of the grey squirrel (I assume) on the sunflower stalk. The red squirrel was really close and that is an excellent picture as well.

What are the dimensions on your planters? 1x6" lumber and 2x4's, correct?

Looked up some things.... I noted in my journal that the hummingbirds appeared to depart my yard on September 30th last year. So, we have a couple weeks yet.

Last edited:
That is a great picture of the grey squirrel (I assume) on the sunflower stalk. The red squirrel was really close and that is an excellent picture as well.

What are the dimensions on your planters? 1x6" lumber and 2x4's, correct?

Looked up some things.... I noted in my journal that the hummingbirds appeared to depart my yard on September 30th last year. So, we have a couple weeks yet.

Thanks, retirement gives me time in life, finally, to pay attention!

Yes, 2x4 cut to 16" legs and 1x6 in 24" pieces that I pick up at Home Depot as precut "ends" when available. I predrill and screw front and back pieces into legs (1" overlap only) then predrill and screw sides into front and back pieces sort of 'toenailing' into legs. (2) 2x2 at base to support pots. Based on a mini planter design that uses only 2x4's and has a galvanized metal bottom piece lined with landscape fabric - "Trellises, Planters & Raised Beds, 50 easy, unique and useful projects ...". I don't want the heavy earth filled planter as I have mentioned. I need to move things about for now.

Still the coleus has been the most surprising to me growing from 4 humble plants in 2 small pots. For scale, Daisy is a lot larger than medium tall dog. The coleus are now putting up mauve blossoms and I will try to get some seed. The thunbergia (black eyed susan) in the back corner has overgrown the trellis, climbed up the cord that supports the pole beans and run amok over the canopy.

DSCF2243 COLEUS DAISY 750 MED.jpg

DSCF2248 COLEUS THUNBERGIA PORCH 750 MED.jpg

If you are thinking about lantana cuttings ... one small success I've had after 2 years of trying to root the chenille (red hot cattails) finally a healthy new planting to work with over winter. I picked up a rooting tip from a gardening book that said to put english ivy cutting in with the cutting you are rooting ... and it worked. Much the way willow works with rooting larger cuttings - supplying auxins to encourage growth. Seems to have worked for me this time anyway and I plan to use this method again.

DSCF2251 CHENILLE ENGLISH IVY 750 MED.jpg

Lastly ... lots of monarchs will be heading South too this year :thumbsup:

My brother in PA has mentioned that this year he has seen more Monarch butterflies than in recent years.

May have to read up on if it is possible to root cuttings from Lantana since they are kind of woody. They are kind of expensive in the "one gallon" size and increasing about $1 per year in cost over the last 5 years or so. I get about 20 of them, so the cost adds up pretty quick. The really red ones are particularly hard to find.

Time to pick up some pansies for pots. Used to do a mass planting, but I hated to yank them come late April-May to replace with my more usual annuals.

Last edited:
I started three pots of pansies from seed but the chipmunks trampled most of them :D

Pansies are really delicate (shallow roots) when they are small and the seeds are tiny. Planted a few pansies inside the container tomato plant pots until they get replaced come April or so of 2019. May plant a few more as I like flowering stuff around. If the winter is mild, the pansies will pretty much go all winter. If not, they just sit there and wait for warmer temps.

Googled Lantana propagation. May have to see if I can get some things rooted. The summary said basically that September is the time to do the rooting and then keep them protected all winter to be set out in the spring. I guess this is in part why they are fairly expensive (time and greenhouse space). Will see if the woody stems actually root. My guess is that this is precisely what the nurseries do.

Added: I have so many Amarylis in pots that I don't know if I have the room to have 10-15 pots of Lantana all winter long inside my house. The Amarylis are outdoors now. They are still green. I'm debating chopping off all the green foliage to force them into their "rest cycle" so they will bloom in December-February time frame. Last year, I didn't do that and only had a few that bloomed during the winter months indoors. They bloomed like crazy in May-June which I believe is their normal blooming period when not forced. I'm no expert and I suspect that I will give a portion of the Amarylis a foliage hair cut and see what happens this winter with them. I honestly hate to cut off the foliage when still green since that is what builds the bulbs to store energy for the blooming cycle.

Last edited:
Looks good. Who would ever believe peppers would get so tall if you didn't actually see them do it? I have a couple that are pushing 4-5 feet tall.

Glad to see those carrots came up. Be sure to thin them out a bit. Yes, I know, it's hard. I just planted some leaf lettuce today and we'll see how it does. Could get froze out in a couple months, who knows? But I should have some sandwich and salad material by then. Picked a couple peppers today. I have too many to use right now.

Friday: In sad shape ... very tiny hummingbird tried to feed from the nasturtiums in the yard but lost his loft, couldn't perch and wound up flailing in the earth under some petunias ... calling out in little 'peeps'. The rain was coming down hard and the wind was so high - a storm that resulted in a couple of tornadoes well East of here in Ottawa/Gatineau.

He couldn't fly any longer or perch, certainly wasn't going to get off this property alive let alone launch on that journey South. I just had to try.

I scooped him into the container without touching him and tried to interest him in feeding from an eye dropper because there was not an ounce of strength. He just laid on the bottom, wet and frail, no interest. All afternoon and evening, no luck in getting him interested in food. Three a.m. attempt at feeding was no go ... I almost lost hope. Then around 4 a.m. I noticed a tiny tongue snake out to sample some food and it was like a light came on. You'll see from the pics that he is now very attached to the eye dropper. Also encouraging is when he supped a taste of hummingbird food dripped into the hibiscus blossom. This is a sturdy flower and with a skewer through it - a perch for tiny feet.

DSCF2274 HUMMINGBIRD HIBISCUS CONTAINER 750 MED.jpg

DSCF2270 HUMMINGBIRD HIBISCUS EATS 750 MED.jpg

Saturday: In between constant feedings, otherwise spent enclosing in with 'Daisy' fencing an old dog kennel to make roomier digs. If he lived, he would need space to gain wing strength. He ate and some strength came. At first he perched a little, then preened a little, eventually using his straggly 'wings' to assist in scrambling up higher on the trellis to perch.

DSCF2284 HUMMINGBIRD ENCLOSURE 750 MED.jpg

DSCF2298 HUMMINGBIRD ENCLOSURE SITS 750 MED.jpg

Today he can sort of helicopter in short bursts. He cannot yet hover. But he is trying mighty hard!

Pics through plastic or fencing ... not the best, but they tell his story. So far. I will call the bird sanctuary to see what the best path is. I don't mind an over winter guest but may have to cancel my fall camp trip - or arrange for a hummingbird sitter. :D

Frost possible tonight - woodburner is blazing.

Back