2018 Gardening, Landscaping, and Plants

Where the heck is the smiley for envy? ... great to see those spring blossoms :)

Well, it's been a tough day for Ontario birds. The morning started out wintery, yet pretty with the colourful birds perched on snowy branches ... but the snow has been relentless and got very deep very quickly. -6.5C (20F) today. Unseasonably cold. Freezing rain coming in tomorrow ... temps are forecast to warm next Thursday.

DSCF9541 BLUE JAY TREE 650 MED.jpg

DSCF9549 GOLDFINCH TREE SEVERAL 650 MED.jpg

Although I topped up the feeders several times, the flocks seemed happy to have a wild turkey scratch away under the tree to expose fallen seed in the snow - but only after the turkey had left! The grackles were the only ones to light near it ... and they were cautious.

DSCF9589 WILD TURKEY GRACKLE FEEDE 650 MED.jpg

The wind was harsh.

DSCF9599 WILD TURKEY GRACKLES FEEDER WIND 650 MED.jpg

This pic is from early April before winter returned, and was forgotten on my flip phone - the Community garden beside the Independent Grocery store in town. Great location and well maintained. Are there any in your area?

0403181112-00  2018 04 03 COMMUNITY GARDEN 650 MED.jpg

I have had to move the geraniums from the 'bag' planters to pots because they are simply too big to manage (turning for the light, watering) otherwise. They now fill the south-facing windows in the kitchen, stairway landing, living room and loft. The heat from the woodburner makes quite a difference in the growth. Need a greenhouse with woodburner.

DSCF9513 GERANIUMS SNOW 650 MED.jpg

The four thunbergia vines are transplanted into a large planter and are climbing a very 'rustic' trellis structure made from branches off the cut saplings. My first twig trellis, looks pretty rough and will suit this property to a "T" :D

DSCF9527 THUNBERGIA CLIMBS 650 MED.jpg

I have fished portions of Spruce Creek in the past. It is mostly a members only kind of place. State College PA is a nice place. Lots of big brown trout! Spring Creek has it's share of big ones as well, but it's becoming over fished.

Off topic. Joe Humphreys came down to a local fly shop a number of times over the years, I was able to fish with him several times. I was surprised at how agile he was, and that's been more than a few years ago. He must have been in his late 60's at the time. He loved State College.

Off topic. Joe Humphreys came down to a local fly shop a number of times over the years, I was able to fish with him several times. I was surprised at how agile he was, and that's been more than a few years ago. He must have been in his late 60's at the time. He loved State College.
I'm impressed! He was good at catching those big browns. I believe a neighbor (that I grew up with) from years ago got his PhD under his direction in fisheries management. That neighbor is "old" now... like in his 70's.

Beauty! Legion 12 ... :thumbsup:

Looks like you went with white pine as you said. If you have a moment, could you share what size boards and the overall dimensions. Plenty deep so that the soil you add will stifle the grass under so no need to do any sod busting - perfect.

I am always interested in labour saving especially on grass maintenance and wonder how folks are trimming right up against the raised bed walls ... if indeed that matters.

Beauty! Legion 12 ... :thumbsup:

Looks like you went with white pine as you said. If you have a moment, could you share what size boards and the overall dimensions. Plenty deep so that the soil you add will stifle the grass under so no need to do any sod busting - perfect.

I am always interested in labour saving especially on grass maintenance and wonder how folks are trimming right up against the raised bed walls ... if indeed that matters.
I used 6, 6 x 10 boards and 1, 2 x 4 finished bed is 10 x 4 12 inches deep decided to paint it , maybe it will last a little longer.

Yup, that's ambitious! Looks fine painted and that's one sweet tricycle planter too ...

Update from here ...
Snow still covers the flats but the south facing hillsides are clearing fast ... including the laneway. That storm really dumped on us last Saturday and Sunday. The plough guy made one pass over the laneway on Sunday but the ice pellets and snow kept accumulating Monday. Since I had parked the van by the house facing 'in' before the storm and hadn't moved it out of the way for the plough (end of snow don't you know!), it took a lot of jockeying with the traction bars just to move it onto the cleared path to the road ... still facing 'in'. I waited for the overnight temps to freeze solid for traction and managed on Tuesday to turn it around in the upper yard, finally facing it downhill for a run to town. No way I could have driven it uphill though on returning that day so I parked close to the road. Just as well - it blocked the plough guy from taking another shot at it and saved me a little money. Finally on Thursday, after a trip to town I just took a chance ... gunned it, steered it as best I was able ... made it in by the skin of my teeth. Sometimes you win one

DSCF9632 LANEWAY SNOW 650 MED.jpg

I've been inundated with flocks of hungry birds and squirrels ... glad to be able to tide them over until the sunshine melts the white stuff which is happening as I write. The woodcock finally turned up again trying for worms where the watercourses exposed the grass.
DSCF9630 WOODCOCK SNOW 650 MED.jpg

The windowsills are overburdened with greenery ... here the begonia corms are leafing nicely. These will be spectacular. I planted some garlics that were sprouting on their own in the fridge and they are jumping out of their pots.
DSCF9664 BEGONIAS WINDOWSILL 650 MED.jpg

Next step - trailer greenhouse. Build more planters. :D

Legion, that raised planter looks great!! Heck of a job there! I don't recall ever seeing Miracle Grow Raised bed soil before. I am going to have to look for that next visit to the home center (for my info mostly).

Taldesta, figured you got some more snow from this last storm. Just this week I am beginning to see the snow line not getting into the US other than in the Rocky Mt higher elevations. It will be spring soon for you.

It finally quit raining, and we went from 50's to 70's overnight. I love these long days...
77rS592.jpg

It is so nice to be warming my hands by the fire :D

What a beautiful outdoor space for enjoyment you've created. I see that architectural piece that draws the eye to the quiet corner too. Great space. My sense is that you've planned for low maintenance as well.

May I ask, what is that tree dead centre?

Welp, we finally had some good weather. I went out and started raking up where the plows had dug up my lawn over the winter. And that's when I remembered that yardwork ain't a lot more fun than shoveling snow. Except the weather was a lot better. And it feels more right to drink beer raking away on a nice afternoon than when shoveling out your driveway.

It could definitely be worse. That's why I need so much manure or sphagnum moss..I went out to measure the garden, and, like a food, had a measuring tape that only goes up to 10 feet. If I had to guess, I'd say it's about 20 feet by 30 feet? I would like to cover the entire garden by at least 2-3 inches.

Considering just sand, silt, and clay, my calculations have it at 57-39-4.
By me suppliers sell leaf composte. Its a very rich mixture of composted leaves and topsoil. Great for enriching sandy soil and depleted soil.

Adding fresh topsoil and peat moss also will help sandy soil come to life. Sand is an ingredient of topsoil so its not a bad base.

If adding manure to the soil consider adding pulverized limestone as well to help neutralize the acidic material.

what is that tree dead centre?

Not a "dead" tree, it's a Norwegian Weeping Spruce, and there are three of them. The other two lean into the pines behind the dogwood (You can just see the base of the trunk under the Perius.) The woodpeckers and sapsuckers love them; there are thousands of holes in the trunks. The neighborhood cats and raccoons do to since they give a path up into the trees. These are pretty tall, and I hate having to trim them. The branches start growing "up" and as they get heavier they bend downward and continue growing until they touch the ground.

Weeping varieties are fairly common landscape plants around here. I also have a low-lying weeping pine. Again, the cats like to "hide" underneath it.

One of the local nurseries has one that's huge, and the branches completely wrap around one of their buildings with streamers reaching the ground. It's pretty incredible.

And yes, I'm trying for low maintenance and at least 50% native species. I've got most of the stuff in in this part of the yard, and it needs 4-5 years to mature and cover the fence line.

Sorry for confusion ... didn't mean dead tree ... meant tree 'dead centre' of pic. :oops: In no way does it appear dead, quite the opposite. It is a remarkable looking tree and I wasn't familiar with the look of it. Thanks for the info.

Weeping Youpons are a pretty interesting tree and fairly hardy. People make them specimen trees in front yards with a sculptured look. I believe they are native to places like East Texas. I have one that I planted in a spot that became too shady as the White Oak near it matured. It got really scraggly, really tall (like 25 feet) trying to get light, and so forth. I wacked off the top of it to see if I can tolerate such a cut off tree. If it bugs me, I'll cut it off at ground level.

Nice, healthy planting Legion 12 :thumbsup:

Is that the same owl from before you moved? I recall you had one earlier on.

Back