1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Handyman Group Buy Chat

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by VANCE, Jul 26, 2018.

1. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Here is where you can talk about everything regarding this Group Buy & I will post update & WIP pics

Thanks for everyone participating!

Choppaman, Nbrackett and NoRest like this.
  2. swonut

swonut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2007
    I’d like to see some in depth coverage of the heat treat process. My wife has strongly suggested that my propane forge days are numbered in the low single digits and that leaves an oven as the only option.

3. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    I'm surprised we didn't get more participation on this model. I hope it doesn't affect the possibility of future group buys. I'm still hoping for a Bushboot and OS Karda group buy.

Lady1911, argyle1812 and Nbrackett like this.
  4. NoRest

Nov 27, 2015
    Since we've only got 12 instead of 20 how about hammering the flats on these. ;) Just a thought! I really like my hammered cpm154 F2.

DavidLim, mistwalker and Tekton like this.
  5. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Thats the plan

6. NoRest

Nov 27, 2015
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. Scotcha

Scotcha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2013
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. prom52

prom52 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Hammered flats will really set these knives apart. That's great news.....thanks for sharing Phillip !

9. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Surface grind and then hammer? ;)

10. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    I suspect that had that detail been offered up front, you likely would have sold all 20 pretty quick.

I like CPM 154 & AEB-L steel a lot, but mill finished flats are pretty bland looking. I said much the same thing in my post for the Gaucho group buy. Something to keep in mind for future group buys...

Phil

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Lady1911 likes this.
  11. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    This ^^.

It’s obviously too late for me to get in, but had I known about the hammered flats......oh well, snooze and lose, I guess.

Hulk2e likes this.
  12. Warrior108

Apr 24, 2012
    I don't recall seeing anything that it's closed, officially that is.

@VANCE Is it closed? ;)

Lady1911 likes this.
  13. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    It seems that i dropped the ball on mentioning the Fiddle-textured flats. I will re open the thread for the spots that remain until Tuesday 7/31/2018 at Noon Eastern.
    I apologize, I took it for granted that that is how we have finished CPM154 in the past:(

Lady1911 and Warrior108 like this.
  14. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I didnt realize it was cmp154. I love this steel and with textured flats, it's going to be sweet. Better fitting model that the hb for me.

15. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    ive started on the scales
    [​IMG]

Lady1911, DavidLim, donscpoo and 3 others like this.
  16. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    [​IMG]

Lady1911, donscpoo, NoRest and 3 others like this.
  17. fatboyclone

fatboyclone Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2003
    @VANCE can you measure the thickness on those?

Hulk2e likes this.
  18. Warrior108

Apr 24, 2012
    I'd guess that all together they stack up to about 1.5" thick. :D Pretty sure there are 14 of em at about .110 per slice. Pretty sure ..

19. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    the ones I measured came in at .114" or .115"

fatboyclone likes this.
  20. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    i was asked via PM for a shot comparison so I might as well post it here too

1/8">CPM154<3/32"
    [​IMG]