2019/2020 winter kith

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by timos-, Nov 22, 2019.

1. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    I missed out on the last two kitchen kiths , im glad to see it is still going!

Id like to run a regular kith for this winter.

This kith is open to anyone who can finish a fully functioning knife.

The knife should be made by you , it is ok to outsource the heat treat.

Lets make the theme "utility knife" this can be anything from kitchen use to hunting, to camping....basically its gotta be made to do something very well! Should have at least a 3" inch blade.

You will be responsible for shipping your knife to the recipient up to $50.00 USD Anything over that the recipient would be responsible for. I personally would pay any extra (over$50usd) shipping charges myself for such excellent forum members as hengelo and natlek (for examples) to receive knives, the idea of international forum here is great but we do have to keep a reasonable cap on shipping charges.

The spirit of this KITH is that you get to give someone here one of your knives as a gift!

This kith will be a success if the following two rules are observed:
    If you are not going to give your best effort dont join.
    If you are going to complain about the knife you get dont join.

In the last kith I ran one person had spent a considerable amount of time on their submission and received a knife with the bare minimum of effort. We are craftspeople, do your best work! Basic materials are absolutely acceptable and even encouraged. You do not need to have made a certain number of knives to join but you do need to do your best!

The deadline will be April 12th 2020 that gives you a couple extra weeks after the official end of winter to wrap it up.

If you would like to join post im in!

whos in:
    A.Mathews
    Stacy E. Apelt
    Willie71
    timos-
    Sam Dean
    Stromberg Knives
    Gene Kimmi
    kdnolan
    DanF
    bike4fun919
    AlaskanHunter
    Bamph
    Coy Ranch
    DustinY
    Steve_P
    Joker66
    Travis tallboys
    weo
    sean j
    fredy cro
    kmf 600
    storm w
    Redcrow
    A.Mcpherson
    Daniel W
    Tiller
    Mike Read
    scsep178
    Jeremy Franks

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  2. A. Matthews

A. Matthews Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2017
    I’m in!

3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I'll join.

One comment, 4"is a pretty good size blade for a hunter or utility knife. 3" would be a better minimum ... but the rules are yours to make.

4. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I’m in.

5. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    we can save the 3" size for the folder kith ;) also, im in.

6. Sam Dean

Sam Dean Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I'm in! Thank you for running this!!

7. Stromberg Knives

Stromberg Knives strombergknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 3, 2015
    I'm in! I also fill the position as "the guy across the globe who nobody wants to send their knife to!" :D

Greetings from Sweden. :thumbsup:

seanj, SBuzek, Coy Ranch and 2 others like this.
  8. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    A vote for 3 inches here as well.
    Bigger isn't better, a 3" knife can be a perfect EDC.
    Quality/best effort should be the criterium

Sam Dean likes this.
  9. FredyCro

FredyCro

Jan 11, 2019
    This sums up the discussion in other kith topic. I am in. If I feel my knife is not up to it, I can cancel by posting "not ready"?

10. RedCrow

RedCrow

Dec 24, 2018
    I'm mostly just a lurker, and have only posted a few times, but I would still like to join, Is there some sort of a minimum post count to join or anything like that?

11. timos-

Oct 22, 2012
    I guess im just so use to making kitchen knives now....i dont even know what one would use a 3" knife for? Even my parers are 3.5" LOL ok ill change it to 3-1/4" Minimum length ...tolerance range for fractional measurements is +/- .030" ;)

Thats it though...theres no voting ! either ur in or out? (Are you in hengelo ? :D Congrats on expecting a little one! )

to everyone:
    Of course you can post "Im in" and later withdraw. all you have to do is intend to finish a knife...no one is actually in the KITH until they submit a finished knife by the deadline.

FredyCro likes this.
  12. timos-

Oct 22, 2012
    i believe i did cover this in the original post.

13. Gene Kimmi

Gene Kimmi KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 8, 2017
    I'm in.

14. kdnolin

kdnolin Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 16, 2017
    I’m in!

15. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I can't promiss to be in with a baby due any moment now. But that is why the basic rule is a good one: no stress but you're only in if you have a knife ready to ship on date X.

If family life permits I'll probobaly jump in.

16. DanF

DanF

Apr 17, 2017
    I'm in.

17. bike4fun919

bike4fun919

May 5, 2014
    I’m in. Thanks

18. AlaskanHunter

AlaskanHunter

Nov 23, 2013
    I'm in!