1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Photos 2019 Blade Show • Excellence in Customs!

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by SharpByCoop, Jun 11, 2019.

1. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    2019: It was Exciting, Exhilarating and EXHAUSTING. But... SO worth it.

We (My wife Susan, and my son Trevor) drove down from CT to GA on Wed. morning to arrive on Thurs. morning. I set up ASAP and from 2pm Thursday till Sunday at 3pm we worked and worked and worked to fulfill our services. I was in the studio at 6am to begin all three days.

I NEED a team to keep up with the projects: Writing up, clerical payment tasks, infosheets, scheduling, pickups, deliveries, etc. I don't do ANY of that. I am a one-person machine in the studio relegated to selection of backgrounds, positions, mirrors, strobes, and correct lighting. My son Trevor was my studio assistant and runner; I try not to spend ANY time cleaning the knives and putting them away. He does. It takes time. That's not my peak output.

Susan and longtime front desk assistant Maggie Randall handled ALL the entries and deliveries. I KNOW they did an overall great job, which I could not even witness to really applaud them. They love these interactions.

I missed chatting with 90% of my clients. I am a social person, and this was hard. Yet I average about 15 mins PER KNIFE to get it right.

For those who I did chat with, thank you. For those who I missed, I'm sorry. For those who I may have been brusk: I am human and overworked this weekend. I love you too. :)

Shoutout to longtime friend STeven Garsson @Kohai999 who invited us out to a relaxing dinner on Saturday evening at 'Canoe' with Sam Taylor @Mecha and partner Julie Barber. A GREAT dinner and better conversation!! Thank you guys.

Susan, Maggie, Trevor and myself THANK YOU for your support. :thumbsup: :)

This thread will take awhile to run its course as I edit and add.

BEFORE I left, I had a large delivery of knives heading for the Show. These are part of this display. I finished them before I left, so I have them to begin. They set the tone, WILDLY!

Feel free to comment on the maker's knives. They are watching.

Photos in NEXT post.....

2. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Michael Zieba (Brooklyn, NY)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kamil Dlugosz (Poland)
    [​IMG]

Anders Hogstrom (Sweden)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Brian Tighe - (Canada)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    thanks so much for sharing your pro shots, Coop!
    Tighemazing!

Jo the Machinist and Dawkind like this.
  5. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Jim

Sorry we didn’t get to spend more time.

Your work and your family are wonderful and special in every way.... I thank you and your team for all you do.

6. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    'Twas a great time at dinner with you and your family, Coop! Many thanks to STeven for making it happen. I'm still snickering at when Julie whacked STeven and demanded that he quit making "any face." :D

Bring on the glorious photos! :thumbsup:

7. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Always look forward to your photos every show Coop.

Nice to see that Tighe is still knocking out appealing designs.

The color and engraving on that first Zieba is a real eye catcher!!!

8. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    ^^^ Thank you ALL! I enjoy this, too. :)

One of the BEST things to happen at this years show was the collaboration of (13) makers from South Texas, who decided it was time to 'give back' to their Patriarch: Bill Ruple. Bill has done SO much for the knifemaking community in the world, and specifically in his home state. His mentoring and free sharing is renowned.

I was approached a month early by Burt Flanagan to set aside time to shoot a group shot of thirteen knives. EACH one of them a gift from a mentee to Bill. Whatever it costs, whatever it takes. "Shhhh..... Don't tell!" I could not wait. :)

They did a formal individual presentation inside the show hall including the knives and a BIG GIANT wooden display stand (which I bailed on capturing). You may watch the (VERY GOOD) vid here. There are some choking up moments I certainly appreciated witnessing. SO cool!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2092468817712354

Following through, they brought me the whole set on Sunday Morning. "Do what you do."

I spent a bunch of time on two layouts. The knives are in order mirroring the plaque display. When it came time to billing I asked how much they charged Bill for their knives. "Huh? NOTHING!" Exactly. That's my bill to you. I love you guys and Bill, now get out of here. ;)

For this I was 'officially' inducted into the 'South Texas Knife Cartel'. Bill reached out to thank me personally as well. I'm a proud participant! Thank YOU!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now back to the Blade Show individual makers' work:

Tommy 'Bubba' Crouch - Pleasanton Texas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brian Hoese - San Antonio, TX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  9. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Corin Urquhart - Picton, NSW, Australia
    [​IMG]

His barrel knives are a traditional design (Naval?)
    [​IMG]

Luke Swenson - Plummer, ID
    [​IMG]

Tobin Hill - Pleasanton, TX
    [​IMG]

naturalist, Dawkind, DevinT and 7 others like this.
  10. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    always inspiring ! great works of art.

Dawkind likes this.
  11. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    I never get tired of YOUR work - either in imagery or in assistance to others via your imagery. Thanks as always!

Dawkind and Mecha like this.
  12. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Very Nice.....Thank You !!

13. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Always such a treat my friend!!!!

14. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Drum roll please.......

I don't know how many ABS Journeyman Smith applicants there were, or how many passed in total. However I will show you the SEVEN passing and outstanding applicants who came to my studio:

Kelly Vermeer-Vella - Oakdale, CA
    [​IMG]

Jason Weightman - Portland, Australia
    [​IMG]

Stuart Smith - Johannesburg, South Africa
    [​IMG]

JJ Simon - Delmar, DE
    [​IMG]

Jackson Rumble - Canberra, Australia
    [​IMG]

Matt Roberts - Blacksburg, VA
    [​IMG]

Rudy Dean - Elkton, VA
    [​IMG]

I am told there was only ONE Mastersmith applicant, and he NAILED it!

Zack Jonas - Wilmot, NH
    [​IMG]

These group shots are difficult. I want to show them well, and NOT show them all the same orientation or display. (That's me. I spend more time than I should, but I won't change a good thing.) I hope you like them, too. :)

15. Win Heger

Win Heger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Thanks, as always, for your posting these, what a great group of makers/knives. Really nice to see the number of international makers taking up the forge.

16. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    What a great group!! Love seeing knives from my home state New Hampshire

Mecha likes this.
  17. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    wonderful Coop!

Nice to see my small home state of Delaware represented!! I'm a stone's throw from Delmar....

ROBB and Mecha like this.
  18. RogerP

RogerP Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2002
    I love EVERYTHING about the Ruple tribute. Tip of that hat to all.

Seeing the JS test sets is another real treat. I was fortunate to snag 2 of Matt's test knives.

Great work Coop - thanks for all your hard work that we get to sit back and enjoy!

canineforge, Dawkind and braillediver like this.
  19. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Excellent as always Mr. C!!! Thanks for posting these up again this year for those of us who can't make BLADE.

20. ice-pic

ice-pic Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2007
    WOW
    I feel like I am dreaming...