Votes: 22 6.5%
  • -- Houndtooth

Votes: 14 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Je0GKr5.jpg

REVERSE Orleans (thicker end towards the end of the handle). There was a mock-up somewhere but I can't seem to find it. It'd match the contour of the handle as well as give us something a little different than the usual.

Yes, I was going to suggest the reverse Orleans shield also. It would be a another unique aspect to this knife. Here is the example...

View attachment 1087599

Thanks guys. I was going to suggest that also but I didn't because I couldn't remember which side of the shield faced the front when reversed. I just knew I liked the reverse mock up when I saw it a few days ago.

the crown shield is the best looking and most unique!

i cannot think of any GeC's that have had the crown shield..... there must be a few in the past?
Northfield 620211 Half whittler
The #13 American Whittler SFOs

Looks great on a Congress frame. Not sure about a swell end Jack.

Last edited:
This one had the crown shield...interesting but looks more designed for a pattern like the congress (equal ends...shield centered...swelled center on one side only). I'll mock it up anyway see what it looks like.
133317-Deep-Chestnut-Jigged-Bone-AW.jpg

Orleans shield on a black wood looks classy and i prefer the reverse Orleans shield, like Traveman wrote.

Since we have a chance at a custom shield, I went to the one of the only "old knife" books that I have, "Blades Guide to Knives and their Values" 7th ED. to look for examples of old shields.

There are some pretty cool alternative options in there.

I love the Banner, but maybe something that is uniquely ours would be cool.

To make it a bit easier, just say "I recommend XX" or "I agree with XX". Otherwise I will just assume it is discussion.

Shield Dinky Do

Shield from misfortune my cutlery hope
Please do note on this I won’t vote
But will accept at all with no mope

Here here what polling will this yield
whether or not we shall have a shield
I don’t give a darn if we have one or not
This knife I will dote on no matter or not!
Whoo Whoo! Hinky diddly do.

Since we have a chance at a custom shield, I went to the one of the only "old knife" books that I have, "Blades Guide to Knives and their Values" 7th ED. to look for examples of old shields.

There are some pretty cool alternative options in there.

I love the Banner, but maybe something that is uniquely ours would be cool.
I'm willing to create a custom shield if you all want to throw some ideas out there. I can provide a vector file if it is selected.

I can get on board with a propeller. It's the one I like best of those that have been mentioned so far. I might change but would like to be able to vote on this one
I'd like to see a propeller shield, it's long time traditional, perfectly sized to be well balanced on this pattern and has the correct character for a hard working knife. It can be seen on African Blackwood in one of Darren's mock ups.

Edit; found it
s7w7xUb.jpg

Hoping for a Badge or Crest on the AB.
Could you do a mockup Darren?
Please?

the crown shield is the best looking and most unique!

i cannot think of any GeC's that have had the crown shield..... there must be a few in the past?
I believe the American Whittler SFOs have used the crown shield, at least the #13, but those are few and far in between. But I second the crown shield knifeswapper knifeswapper

The acorn is my favorite RR shield. Would it be a travesty to put one on a GEC? In any case, I would like to see a mockup. If that doesn’t get legs, the reverse Orleans looks good to me, but I think I will hang back for a while.

Is there any love for the Acorn? Only for GEC stainless maybe?

I'm seeing lots of vintage patterns with the Acorn that look great.

Could we do a Squirrel Shield? This is a pretty squirrelly process, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back