2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

waverave

The GEC Database, Photoshop and Tortoise Shell Guy
Platinum Member
Well...let's get a thread going shall we?
I have been looking forward to this pattern since they announced it a while back.
Some interesting materials they have selected.
29_Humpback.jpg
291319-TIDIOUTE-NORTHFIELD (1).jpg

Last edited:

waverave

The GEC Database, Photoshop and Tortoise Shell Guy
Platinum Member
The mock up shows a clip but the schedule says ramfoot. This “what’s happening” picture makes me think it’s a ramfoot/sheepfoot combo but who knows.

View attachment 1148950
Yeah I'm a little confused by the hallway photo. A ramsfoot/sheepfoot combo would be curious.

I'm all about interesting acrylics (and especially snakewood,) but I don't particularly care for a punch, nor a three springed knive. And I surely won't put down the money these will probably cost for a three springed knife WITH a punch.

r8shell

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Bring it on! Osage or Tidioute bone would be my choice.

If I can just go online and buy one, I'll be very pleased. I hope there'll be no lolly-scrambling - I just don't have the time or energy for that.

The mock up shows a clip but the schedule says ramfoot. This “what’s happening” picture makes me think it’s a ramfoot/sheepfoot combo but who knows.

View attachment 1148950
Misprint? I assume the ram/lamb picture is in reference to the #93 that just came out. Maybe the sheepfoot on the #29 will be a larger ramfoot.

WhittlinAway

Gold Member
Assuming it has the blade complement shown in the drawings, I think this is a very compelling knife. I agree with r8shell r8shell about not being down for a lollyscramble, but I'll definitely be keeping my eye on them.

Kiteman72

Gold Member
Since we got adequate numbers on the 97s, we can hope that there will be plenty of these to go around.

Generally, folks hate the hotdog and acrylic, so I should be able to nab my choice, knock on wood!

I just noticed there is a M&G SFO! I bet that will be sweet!

Clip, sheep, punch is a really nice combination. Sure wish it was on the 53/54 frame, though.

r8shell

Assuming it has the blade complement shown in the drawings, I think this is a very compelling knife. I agree with r8shell r8shell about not being down for a lollyscramble, but I'll definitely be keeping my eye on them.
I wonder how many non-sfo will be made?
Clip, sheep, punch is a really nice combination. Sure wish it was on the 53/54 frame, though.
I love that combination, and I have a few Case Stockman with punch instead of spey.
I wish this was a Whittler configuration, or at least on two springs, but I still want one even with the three springs.

Modoc ED

Gold Member
I agree... Take away the punch and one of the springs... Or make it a split back.

or, keep the punch blade, krink it thereby using one spring for two blades. If needed, GEC could use a second liner and sandwich it like they did with the early #66 Cattle Ropers.

0fdtmMm.jpg

p05CxZT.jpg

Three blades - two springs - extra sandwiched liner..

HEMI 49

Gold Member
Where is the reference about this being a 3 spring knife?.... I looked at GEC website and didn't see any info on the springs...

Last edited:

Signalprick

Jason Ritchie - Ritchie Handmade Knives
Hoping the TKC will be micarta. If not I'm going for the ebony.