2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

The white bone makes for an absolutely incredible looking knife. Curious as to why they don’t often use it for normal production?

I think they did some 6s with them but feel like white bone would sell out immediately on really any run.

Have you ever cut yourself doing that? Like blade doesn't open all the way and handle or blade slips?
You bet I have ! In 2018 , I started collecting Boker Solingen folders. I tried holding a Boker Tree Congress in my mouth. It worked fine until a blade snapped my lip. I aint doing that again. Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! I rarely cut myself these days. Tidioute folders are easier to open that the Northfields. The Tidioute nail nicks are located slightly further down the blade for easier opening. If It is a beautiful work of blade art , I have to buy it regardless. Olde Town Cutlery sent me an OTC band-aid holder. If I lose my other arm , I will hold my knives in my mouth ! Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! I am the only one arm knife collector that I know of. Only four fingers and a thumb , I got to be a dummy playing with knives. I have blade addiction and I can't help myself.

You bet I have ! In 2018 , I started collecting Boker Solingen folders. I tried holding a Boker Tree Congress in my mouth. It worked fine until a blade snapped my lip. I aint doing that again. Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! I rarely cut myself these days. Tidioute folders are easier to open that the Northfields. The Tidioute nail nicks are located slightly further down the blade for easier opening. If It is a beautiful work of blade art , I have to buy it regardless. Olde Town Cutlery sent me an OTC band-aid holder. If I lose my other arm , I will hold my knives in my mouth ! Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! I am the only one arm knife collector that I know of. Only four fingers and a thumb , I got to be a dummy playing with knives. I have blade addiction and I can't help myself.

Kind of bad ass adapting like that imo. Fixed blades would obviously be easier, but not as much character as traditional folders.

That is a wonderful looking SFO. I wonder if they held a few back or if GEC just finished up a few more stragglers.
JSR posted that they were taking pre-orders days before GEC posted the release. I sent JSR an email for my pre-order. As soon as JSR started receiving knives , JSR canceled the pro-order offer. That Knife started out as Burnt Chocolate jigged bone. I guess nobody liked the name. I paid attention to the colors and not the name on the GEC web-sight. The earlier scales were too dark and not attractive at all. When GEC change the name and I spotted that soft almond color, I knew it was a sleeper hit. That soft almond chocolate color has become my favorite of the GEC brown bone colors. I want more GEC folders in Chocolate Almond jigged bone , in the future !

Kinda bummed I didn't even know about the white bones until well after they were all gone. Oh well, I did end up finding a forum knife.

I think I did pretty good on my Stag this go around. Dark and gnarly, with decently matched covers and not too fat.

I00RfAp.jpg

nNaqucs.jpg

00Kx9wd.jpg

I love that stag, and stag is usually a hard sell on me.

paulhilborn paulhilborn here are shots of the back spring, sorry for the delay. As you can see, we're talking a fraction of a mm. Just enough to feel, and mostly because the liner edges are finished so sharp and crisp from the factory. I've had TCs and 77 Barlows with springs lower than that at open!

I might hit it with the buffer, as there are some spots on the wood that I'd like a little more buffed, and I kinda want to soften the very edges of the tangs so they're not as pokey in use.

49300262623_8779445bdb_b.jpg

49300749486_3da2e33804_b.jpg

Totally regretting not getting one of the forum knives. If there's anyone that happened to get two that would be willing to part with one please let me know :thumbsup:

Kinda bummed I didn't even know about the white bones until well after they were all gone. Oh well, I did end up finding a forum knife.

I love that stag, and stag is usually a hard sell on me.

paulhilborn paulhilborn here are shots of the back spring, sorry for the delay. As you can see, we're talking a fraction of a mm. Just enough to feel, and mostly because the liner edges are finished so sharp and crisp from the factory. I've had TCs and 77 Barlows with springs lower than that at open!

I might hit it with the buffer, as there are some spots on the wood that I'd like a little more buffed, and I kinda want to soften the very edges of the tangs so they're not as pokey in use.

49300262623_8779445bdb_b.jpg

49300749486_3da2e33804_b.jpg
Nice, that's what I experienced on my Chrurchill and once hit with 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper it really was hard to even notice:thumbsup::cool:

I said I was done. I thought I was done. But...….I just found a Black Jack.
Check's in the mail so to speak :)

I don't know if anyone posted it, but the white bones were filler because they didn't have enough stag to do the full run. Or so I've heard. Hence the low numbers, compared to recent runs.

I was able to get one and help someone who really wanted one get one so I'm happy. I got it today and posted an unboxing video, so check out my YouTube for that. I don't think I can post a link directly here, but check out my signature.

It's a beautiful knife.

YsuSGmj.jpg

When I first saw the #86 pattern mock-up I didn't expect to get any. It seemed really similar to the recent 77s. Now I find myself with two and I think another coming. Funny how that works. I think I'll do an article on the pattern in general.

Probably won't be able to keep all three.

Speaking of which, a dealer told me I had one of the Black Jacks reserved but he hasn't gotten them yet. He sometimes gets knives a day or two later than the bigger dealers, but didn't people start getting Black Jacks in hand like before Christmas?

I don't know if anyone posted it, but the white bones were filler because they didn't have enough stag to do the full run. Or so I've heard. Hence the low numbers, compared to recent runs.

I was able to get one and help someone who really wanted one get one so I'm happy. I got it today and posted an unboxing video, so check out my YouTube for that. I don't think I can post a link directly here, but check out my signature.

It's a beautiful knife.

YsuSGmj.jpg

When I first saw the #86 pattern mock-up I didn't expect to get any. It seemed really similar to the recent 77s. Now I find myself with two and I think another coming. Funny how that works. I think I'll do an article on the pattern in general.

Probably won't be able to keep all three.

Speaking of which, a dealer told me I had one of the Black Jacks reserved but he hasn't gotten them yet. He sometimes gets knives a day or two later than the bigger dealers, but didn't people start getting Black Jacks in hand like before Christmas?

The 77 used to be my favorite all-arounder. But then these got in my hand. It's perfect length.

The shipping to the dealers will probably start tomorrow, and may not be completed by Christmas!!
GEC will be closed Monday through Thursday!!:rolleyes:
The first quote is from Charlie on 12/19. The holiday shut down has interrupted the release schedule. I just got my reserve invoice yesterday from a different dealer. So yes they are still coming.

Back