2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice choices all around.

I have no need for a fixed blade knife outside of the kitchen. However, I have no need for ANOTHER folding knife of any kind. So that's a moot point.

The GEC 86 looks like a 77 that is 1/8" longer. Still a very nice pattern, but if I were going to buy one, I'd want one with the blade combo in the drawing - a clip plus long coping. A single blade sheepfoot has never appealed to me that much.

Sooo... I voted for the Buck Vanguard. I have always loved the look of Buck's fixed blade hunting knives, and that Vanguard is especially pretty. I'd like to have one just to wear around the yard. :)

Probably could order that now from the custom shop?
192 is not offered in the custom shop. 119 is.

Like all of them, think it will be the 86 end the end. I picked the vanguard fixed blade is a nice change.

Some (@mykel m , @Ice Tigre, Pàdruig Pàdruig ) have asked about Fox, are they new, etc...
Fox Knives began in the 1970s in the Italian city of Maniago where the best knife makers in that country reside.

Maniago is Germany's Solingen, Japan's Seki City, France's Thiers

Lionsteel, Maserin and Viper are also based in Maniago, Italy

Fox Knives have a good reputation, they are better than average, they use top-notch materials and have higher tolerances than say a Buck folder would. I own a Lionsteel a Maserin and a Viper knife, all from Maniago, Italy, and they are all exceptional. I'm sure knifeswapper knifeswapper can attest to the products from Maniago, and if you've never had a European knife (other than Sheffield), I urge you to think about taking the leap. Thanks

I am finding it hard to vote when we don't know what handle options will be. This goes for GEC, Buck and Fox.

Last edited:
Some (@mykel m , @Ice Tigre, Pàdruig Pàdruig ) have asked about Fox, are they new, etc...
Fox Knives began in the 1970s in the Italian city of Maniago where the best knife makers in that country reside.

Maniago is Germany's Solingen, Japan's Seki City, France's Thiers

Lionsteel, Maserin and Viper are also based in Maniago, Italy

Fox Knives have a good reputation, they are better than average, they use top-notch materials and have higher tolerances than say a Buck folder would. I own a Lionsteel a Maserin and a Viper knife, all from Maniago, Italy, and they are all exceptional. I'm sure knifeswapper knifeswapper can attest to the products from Maniago, and if you've never had a European knife (other than Sheffield), I urge to go think about taking the leap. Thanks

I am finding it hard to vote when we don't know what handle options will be. This goes for GEC, Buck and Fox.

Thank you very much for the info. I have a few Lion Steel knives and I find them to be rather exceptional so if Fox is comparable, it could certainly be worth considering. I guess my biggest concern is that I have absolutely no idea how much flexibility we have in terms of material and feature choices.

I think last year can be a good indicator of some Buck options and we have seen so many options on GECs over the years we can expect a solid variety the real unknown is Fox but the handles I have seen from Viper, Maserin, and LionSteel have all been top notch so I would have some similar expectations and all 4 italian companies have a colabrotive project which you honestly can't tell which maker made which outside of some select distinct traits or names.

I think going forward it should be a rule that if you vote, you are required to purchase the winning knife.... :D
You think the fights are brutal NOW, just think what it would be like if losing meant you were forced to buy a knife you didn't like. Marvelous idea!

The BladeForums Annual Forum knife has always been hosted by the Traditionals forum or at least by those who inevitably ended up here

That's not quite true. Yes, Traditional has had an annual knife for many years, but Spark had a BF knife done a few years back, and the Custom Forum has had (at least) one (in 2012).

I am wondering if a longer than standard blade might be an option if the Buck wins this poll I just think that would make it something special that you could not go and buy at the local sporting goods store as much as I enjoy GEC knives I don’t want another Sheepfoot bladed knife

My vote went to the Buck Vanguard.

We’ve never had a fixed blade and there will be plenty of options to vote on which is always the fun part. After all, this Forum is called “Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades”. Plus, it will look good with a nice big Bladeforums stamp and a single dot.

Single sheepsfoot TC Barlow was done a few years ago and the Fox is too similar to a Buck 110.

That's not quite true. Yes, Traditional has had an annual knife for many years, but Spark had a BF knife done a few years back, and the Custom Forum has had (at least) one (in 2012).

I appreciate the additional knowledge, I figured there were details that I was unaware of.

That said, when the Traditionals forum knife has been referred to as strictly the "Traditionals Forum Knife", there have been corrections made, stating that it is a BladeForums Forum knife that just happens to be hosted by the Traditionals Forum. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference since we are really just talking semantics here but my comments were strictly pertaining to the forum knives hosted by the Traditionals Forum in the last 10(ish) years.

Since there are two separate dealers for the two top choices (at the moment tied!), why not just split the difference and have two forum knives from two representatives ;-)

When I just voted...

I broke the tie from 99 all to 99 - 100 BUCK!

Call it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back