2020 GEC#47 VIPER RUN

People buy these sight-unseen and in some cases the handle material and shield hasn't even been called out yet.

I can speak to that a little, I suppose.

When a run is up for reserve when the handle materials/shield combinations haven't been announced, it becomes a gamble. This usually happens with Tidioute and Northfield bone options - I am not sure if GEC just doesn't finalize what their options are going to be until much later (due to surprises in the dyeing/jigging processes?) or if they like to keep us hanging. Personally, I would hate to miss out, especially if it ends up being something that I really favor (like red sawcut or white bone, etc.).

So I usually end up reserving bone options - sometimes, I get Antique Yellow and am disappointed and sometimes, I get pleasantly surprised with Black Plum. In the end, if I really dislike something, I know I can move it along easily enough.

Had I remembered that GEC stopped polishing their Ironwood, I would have passed on the Ironwood #74s but on the flip side, I was able to make someone here very happy by moving it along.

I can speak to that a little, I suppose.

When a run is up for reserve when the handle materials/shield combinations haven't been announced, it becomes a gamble. This usually happens with Tidioute and Northfield bone options - I am not sure if GEC just doesn't finalize what their options are going to be until much later (due to surprises in the dyeing/jigging processes?) or if they like to keep us hanging. Personally, I would hate to miss out, especially if it ends up being something that I really favor (like red sawcut or white bone, etc.).

So I usually end up reserving bone options - sometimes, I get Antique Yellow and am disappointed and sometimes, I get pleasantly surprised with Black Plum. In the end, if I really dislike something, I know I can move it along easily enough.

Had I remembered that GEC stopped polishing their Ironwood, I would have passed on the Ironwood #74s but on the flip side, I was able to make someone here very happy by moving it along.
I really have never had a single complaint about any GEC I've ever owned, I'm just not that picky, and I own north of 100. My 74's in ironwood were not even final sanded. There were major gaps around the shield. I was also one of many that received a solid black knife. GEC should be ashamed of sending those out, and there were a bunch. I really do think they got a bunch of bad material in and slapped it on to keep production moving. I had trouble even getting rid of it at cost. It's not like you get another shot at getting a good one, so it stings. If GEC does it again on the 47's, shame on them. It's scrap wood.

I really have never had a single complaint about any GEC I've ever owned, I'm just not that picky, and I own north of 100. My 74's in ironwood were not even final sanded. There were major gaps around the shield. I was also one of many that received a solid black knife. GEC should be ashamed of sending those out, and there were a bunch. I really do think they got a bunch of bad material in and slapped it on to keep production moving. I had trouble even getting rid of it at cost. It's not like you get another shot at getting a good one, so it stings. If GEC does it again on the 47's, shame on them. It's scrap wood.

To be fair, there were enough nicely figured examples made that I doubt they used subpar material. That said, it is generally considered a premium material and folks don't buy Ironwood for it to look like Ebony or aged Walnut so I can absolutely understand your disappointment - they should have left those cuts out.

What I find more concerning is the number of fitment issues being reported, most of them having to do with the Ironwood version. If I were to guess, the lack of polish on these might have been a license of sorts to let things get through QC that otherwise wouldn't pass muster. I hope this sort of thing doesn't continue. My Ironwood #74 didn't have any of the above issues and its new owner should be very happy with it but with a material like Ironwood, paired with the Northfield trim, folks shouldn't have to feel anxious regarding whether or not they would be receiving a nice example.

On top of that, seeing several people get these amazing matched covers, while a ton of others (myself included) got two mismatched, and very different in coloration/tone/graining scales on each side was disappointing. I can admit it. I'm really hoping for that not to happen again on the Viper. It's kind of like going to Burger King and seeing the pic up on the menu of the Whopper looking super tasty, plump, fresh, and delicious, and getting one. It arrives, and it's some greasy, mashed flat thing with wilted lettuce and four day old sliced tomato. Just a crappy feeling.

To be fair, there were enough nicely figured examples made that I doubt they used subpar material. That said, it is generally considered a premium material and folks don't buy Ironwood for it to look like Ebony or aged Walnut so I can absolutely understand your disappointment - they should have left those cuts out.

What I find more concerning is the number of fitment issues being reported, most of them having to do with the Ironwood version. If I were to guess, the lack of polish on these might have been a license of sorts to let things get through QC that otherwise wouldn't pass muster. I hope this sort of thing doesn't continue. My Ironwood #74 didn't have any of the above issues and its new owner should be very happy with it but with a material like Ironwood, paired with the Northfield trim, folks shouldn't have to feel anxious regarding whether or not they would be receiving a nice example.

Like B BGMoHunter my Ironwood also had voids around the shield, as did several I saw posted in that thread. I'm reeeeaaaallly hoping that the Vipers don't come that way.

On top of that, seeing several people get these amazing matched covers, while a ton of others (myself included) got two mismatched, and very different in coloration/tone/graining scales on each side was disappointing. I can admit it. I'm really hoping for that not to happen again on the Viper. It's kind of like going to Burger King and seeing the pic up on the menu of the Whopper looking super tasty, plump, fresh, and delicious, and getting one. It arrives, and it's some greasy, mashed flat thing with wilted lettuce and four day old sliced tomato. Just a crappy feeling.

The bookmatched covers is not something one typically sees from GEC and it's something I'd never expect on anything short of a custom but to see the care involved with some and not others is indeed a bit puzzling. I do hope they up their game on the Vipers though. Traditionally, GEC has done right by the material but with these recent 74s, it has given me a bit of pause.

I was a day late on the pre-order for the vipers with my dealer. Very bummed about this. I have had a great first year with GEC though, so I reckon I cant complain too much. If anyone has a tip for me to get on another list, please share or send me a message. Many thanks!

Does anyone have a 47 from a prior run in stag? Would appreciate pictures if it’s not too much trouble...

The bookmatched covers is not something one typically sees from GEC and it's something I'd never expect on anything short of a custom but to see the care involved with some and not others is indeed a bit puzzling. I do hope they up their game on the Vipers though. Traditionally, GEC has done right by the material but with these recent 74s, it has given me a bit of pause.

Exactly. That to me looked like the cutlers on the line came to work that day in a good mood, paid extra attention at doing his job but by lunchtime, he was over it, and was just grabbing pieces at random without any taking even a second's concern to look in the parts bin and make any effort at all to pair scales up. Also, I'll say that if the Vipers have the same issues the #74s had, I might take a step back for a bit.

Thanks Harry. Stag is rarely my first choice for covers, but the 47 pattern seems to be built for it. That’s a fantastic Pruner you have there.:thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words my friend . When they choose the covers like they did for mine and Norcaldude Norcaldude 's , they do look like they are made to have Stag on them .

Harry

Back