2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Nice work! :cool::thumbsup:

You guys are making me want to do some whittling.

Thank you!

My father and maternal grandfather spent time with me in my early teen years, showing me things in the late 90’s early 2000’s that we can all find with a google search these days. I will happily whittle with a purpose made fixed blade, but the days spent on the porch with a trusty pocket knife will always bring me back to whatever is in my pocket.

I think a #62 pocket carver has my name on it... it’s just too neat to pass up. Truly you can whittle with almost anything, but I appreciate that Mr. Howard had porch sitters in mind for this one.

Very cool. I'm so envious of the talent displayed here by you, @Jiki, and many others.

thank you!

you’ve already got the right tool! GECs have proven to be outstanding shavers. A little time and some scrap wood and I’m sure you’ll do just fine. I’ve become a firm believer that 1095 isn’t just traditional; it’s sufficient for most wood carving, and takes a beautiful, unadulterated edge.

I think half the secret to good carving is in the tool prep. @Jiki has mentioned some of the pro tips for making that edge a primo wood cutter. It helps when the blade itself is thin, so if what Jiki says is true, snag a #62 pocket carver if you want to get some practice in!!

honestly though, the blades on the EZ pocket congress would probably be just great for the casual, time-squandering whittler. I really am a firm believer that good carvings can be made with almost any properly prepared knife.

0snsvlGh.jpg
BgZh7lth.jpg
fDV7ZSXh.jpg
watch

I can actually see a miniature version of that being quite handy for whittling and carving. I might have to forge one out sometime.

Anyone receive their ironwood yet? I am supposed to get mine Saturday and I am itching for in-hand pics

Mine is waiting at home in the mailbox for me... along with his "blue brother".... pics to follow....

I can actually see a miniature version of that being quite handy for whittling and carving. I might have to forge one out sometime.

I try to figure how that blade can be forged, the grooved back and the slightly curved shape and many other details . As well as the way the japanese traditional carpenters use it. When handcraft is an art... Hard to figure. I'm curious and interested to see what could be your rendition. Amazing tool.

Dan.

Does anyone know if the Goldenrod bone with the bar shield will be widely distributed or is it going to be like the white bone 86’s?
I asked GEC. Apparently there was a “color difference” in the covers used for the yellow/banana colored bone 62’s. A lot of them were a bit darker (the rotten bananas) and a lot were evidently a bit lighter (the goldenrod bone 62’s that just started popping up). This isn’t a “quick release of a small quantity of plain bone covers to finish the run” the way they did with the 86.

Can anyone comment about the bolsterless farm and field? Some of my knives that get the heaviest use are the ones I use for carving. The tensile strength of micarta is significantly less than brass/nickel silver. Think that’s why they make the covers so beefy on the F&F pattern? I think for most cutting needs micarta would be perfectly fine.....

Does anyone have a take on the strength of Delrin? Is it as strong as micarta?
I have one on reserve...it's going to be my everyday beater whittler(yet another one...:D). I usually don't do a lot of twistie stuff, mostly just push cuts.

I used to do injection molding of delrin, and while it's a pretty tough plastic (acetal), I think it would not be as "strong" as micarta, since it is a combination of fibers and some form of epoxy. I could be absolutely wrong, but those are just my off the cuff thoughts on it.

Does anyone have a take on the strength of Delrin? Is it as strong as micarta?
I have one on reserve...it's going to be my everyday beater whittler(yet another one...:D). I usually don't do a lot of twistie stuff, mostly just push cuts.

probably more that sufficient for anything you’d use it for. Pretty durable stuff, though personally I like micarta for it’s laminated textiles.

I used to do injection molding of delrin, and while it's a pretty tough plastic (acetal), I think it would not be as "strong" as micarta, since it is a combination of fibers and some form of epoxy. I could be absolutely wrong, but those are just my off the cuff thoughts on it.
Yes, this. +1

I just ordered a red one :):thumbsup:
My wife told me today to get a knife for valentines day as her gift to me and red seemed to fit the occasion perfectly!!!
I am glad they were still available :thumbsup:
Congratulations! And they are almost exactly "Valentine red"... very pretty color in mine, and the others I've seen pics of. I hope you're taking your valentine out to dinner...:)

Back