2021 HIKING THREAD.

That first photo of the trail looks like an ankle breaker.

Great pics.
Looks slick.
Thanks for sharing.
Two days earlier this whole trail was covered in snow. We had temps in the high 40s scattered showers and high winds. I had some Kahtoola Exospikes in my pack but chose not to put them on. I was trying out my Lowa Renegades. They faired well on ankle support but not so much on the grip. But my feet stayed bone dry. A lot better than Moabs in every category. My BIL swears by his Keens. He definitely can hit some slick angles and not bust traction.

My GF had a bad slip in LOWA Renegades and doesn't trust them for anything more than a completely dry hike. I use Haix Black Eagles and they have an amazing grip.

However, I got myself some Alpina full leather boots from Varusteleka and look forward to walk with them...

My GF had a bad slip in LOWA Renegades and doesn't trust them for anything more than a completely dry hike. I use Haix Black Eagles and they have an amazing grip.

However, I got myself some Alpina full leather boots from Varusteleka and look forward to walk with them...
Yeah I do a lot of mountain hiking/climbing I definitely need a sticky boot. Thanks for the heads up on the Haix. On a side note I spent a few days in Mittenwald and did some serious climbing around that area. Karwendel Mountains Absolutely Breathtaking. I was visiting my ex-wife’s family in Erlangen and we passed thru on our way to Neuschwanstein Castle also did some hiking on the Zugspitze. Once again it was Stunning.

40 degrees and wet out this morning. We just went on a quick walk to a little waterfall. Nice enough and I did have my BK24 with me.
boAxz0ch.jpg

UbLY7Gih.jpg

40 degrees and wet out this morning. We just went on a quick walk to a little waterfall. Nice enough and I did have my BK24 with me.
boAxz0ch.jpg

UbLY7Gih.jpg
Man oh man that’s pretty picture Don . I’d love to see it frozen for sure.

Lots of snow pack on top of old Baldy and the rest of the local mountains. Just a friendly PSA from 'the hiking guy' to those of us pondering that epic, winter trek.

Lots of snow pack on top of old Baldy and the rest of the local mountains. Just a friendly PSA from 'the hiking guy' to those of us pondering that epic, winter trek.
I cannot believe that I have missed this thread entirely...until now. Epic winter treks used to be a favorite of mine - but I always erred on the side of caution even when I went big, carried enough gear to keep me alive if I had to hunker down for an afternoon or an overnight. and never went out without letting someone know where I was headed and when they could expect a check in. And not in jeans. EVER. Cotton kills. wrt winter activities. Every year, at least a couple of people are killed in the White Mountains by exposure (also avalanche. falls and climbing incidents. but...) - some of whom are experienced winter climbers but who underestimate the weather that can settle into those peaks; it happened just recently. I'm all for ice axes, but only if they are accompanied by a person who isn't going to put someone else in danger with some ill-considered actions on their part. Probably what that video says....

Back