2021: Sheath dulling issue, first time I observed it for myself; EDIT: made a leather sheath

Picked up a brand new GI Tanto. Seemed fairly sharp out of the box. Sheath and unsheath a few times, and the edge rips rather than slices through paper. I brought the edge back to life fairly easily to paper slicing sharp with my basic Lansky sharpener. Sheath and unsheath couple times later, and the edge takes a noticeable ding. Not exactly butter knife dull, but it doesn’t exactly glide across the paper either.

This was interesting to me since I never really had this issue before despite owning a couple of CS fixed blades. Recon Tanto, Kobun, Chaos Bowie, no discernible issue. For the Leatherneck, I switched to the Ka-Bar leather sheath before I could risk damaging the edge lol.

The way I see it, if this really bothers you, either send the knife back or get an aftermarket sheath. Me personally, I don’t think it’s worth the additional white hairs to tweak the Secure-Ex in any way myself. Still, I think the GI is a decent blade held back by a bad sheath. Might pick up a basic cordura sheath for it. Definitely, this is entirely the company’s responsibility to fix. It’s disappointing to still see this issue around when folks have been pointing it out for years.

Does anyone still encounter this issue in 2021?

Last edited:
Definitely, this is entirely the company’s responsibility to fix. It’s disappointing to still see this issue around when folks have been pointing it out for years.
did ya just answer yourself or am I reading it wrong and youre just adding more to the post but in a new post?🤔

Oh, adding more to the post, haha.
good. for a minute there ya had me thinking you had either multiple personality disorder and were having a discussion between the 2 of ya😁........or ya have two different forum names here and forgot to change to the other one before ya posted.😉 or i guess youre drinking and lost track of that ya posted and then answered yourself thinking it was someone elses post......😆

good. for a minute there ya had me thinking you had either multiple personality disorder and were having a discussion between the 2 of ya😁........or ya have two different forum names here and forgot to change to the other one before ya posted.😉 or i guess youre drinking and lost track of that ya posted and then answered yourself thinking it was someone elses post......😆
Nope, only got one account here haha. I usually just comment on the thread for additional thoughts. Apologies for the confusion, man.

on topic...I haven't really ran into this yet unless I remove or place in to hit the sides. I've learned to be very careful taking in and out slowly and controlled. not so great if I ever needed it quick.

I have placed in the sheath rushing and cut the inside sides a bit and then got scratches all over the blade finish from the piece I knicked sticking up and rubbing the blade.

im not a fan of the secure ex glass filled nylon setup really. some of the models sheaths are hard to remove and some don't fit just right. id like to see them go back to leather sheaths on the higher dollar knives and mid level maybe a proper fitting kydex or nylon or something else.......

on topic...I haven't really ran into this yet unless I remove or place in to hit the sides. I've learned to be very careful taking in and out slowly and controlled. not so great if I ever needed it quick.

I have placed in the sheath rushing and cut the inside sides a bit and then got scratches all over the blade finish from the piece I knicked sticking up and rubbing the blade.

im not a fan of the secure ex glass filled nylon setup really. some of the models sheaths are hard to remove and some don't fit just right. id like to see them go back to leather sheaths on the higher dollar knives and mid level maybe a proper fitting kydex or nylon or something else.......
Yeah. I don’t think this was an issue with the previous gen corduras. Kydex sounds good, even if it does bump up the price a bit.

I have a San Mai Outdoorsman ordered and on the way.

I really hope the sheath does not scratch up the knife unnecessarily.

I wonder if the Ka-Bar USMC sheath will fit the blade in lieu of getting another sheath for the Cold Steel.

I wonder if the Ka-Bar USMC sheath will fit the blade in lieu of getting another sheath for the Cold Steel.
I don’t have the high end Outdoorsman, but the USMC sheath accommodates the Outdoorsman Lite just fine. If I’m not mistaken, the Lite and the high end version have similar dimensions.

ZG7SP0h.jpg

Not a snug fit though. It’s a 6” blade going in a sheath designed for 7”.

I would appreciate your opinion on the Outdoorsman after some use time. My divergent eye has been giving it a glance......... I haven't used any knife often enough in the last few years, to notice any sheath dulling. I have a few Spec Op sheaths to toss any knife of concern into. But my pattern as of late is the touch an edge up before putting a blade away, so I don't really notice with my limited use. I think that I have an AUS8 SRK in a smaller Spec Op from years back........I really should get these things out more often.

Last edited:
I would appreciate your opinion on the Outdoorsman after some use time. My divergent eye has been giving it a glance......... I haven't used any knife often enough in the last few years, to notice any sheath dulling. I have a few Spec Op sheaths to toss any knife of concern into. But my pattern as of late is the touch an edge up before putting a blade away, so I don't really notice with my limited use. I think that I have an AUS8 SRK in a smaller Spec Op from years back........I really should get these things out more often.
Absolutely. I have held off for years due to the “bone breaker” on the spine. I really don’t like that feature, but the rest of the design appeals to me.

I imagine mine will show up in a week or so.

I have run into it multiple times, including this year. The most recent was a master hunter in 3V. At this point I assume I will need to replace the sheath on any Cold Steel knives I buy. Its why I am hesitant to buy the new Trailmaster.

I have run into it multiple times, including this year. The most recent was a master hunter in 3V. At this point I assume I will need to replace the sheath on any Cold Steel knives I buy. Its why I am hesitant to buy the new Trailmaster.
Yeah. Problem is, the pandemic is making it challenging to procure custom sheaths. Pre-2020, it would’ve been fairly easy to go to the friendly neighborhood leather maker.

I bought a Cold Steel Warcraft Tanto last year and noticed the poor quality of the secure-ex sheath. The knife fits too tight and the blade pushes against the sheath too much. I ended up getting someone to make me a new sheath. I am much happier with the new sheath. Too bad Cold Steel keeps selling these crummy sheaths for their fantastic knives.

I don’t have the high end Outdoorsman, but the USMC sheath accommodates the Outdoorsman Lite just fine. If I’m not mistaken, the Lite and the high end version have similar dimensions.

ZG7SP0h.jpg

Not a snug fit though. It’s a 6” blade going in a sheath designed for 7”.
Looks like you work for a living, mechanic?

It helps if you keep the knife and especially the sheath meticulously clean.

Picked up a brand new GI Tanto. Seemed fairly sharp out of the box. Sheath and unsheath a few times, and the edge rips rather than slices through paper. I brought the edge back to life fairly easily to paper slicing sharp with my basic Lansky sharpener. Sheath and unsheath couple times later, and the edge takes a noticeable ding. Not exactly butter knife dull, but it doesn’t exactly glide across the paper either.

This was interesting to me since I never really had this issue before despite owning a couple of CS fixed blades. Recon Tanto, Kobun, Chaos Bowie, no discernible issue. For the Leatherneck, I switched to the Ka-Bar leather sheath before I could risk damaging the edge lol.

The way I see it, if this really bothers you, either send the knife back or get an aftermarket sheath. Me personally, I don’t think it’s worth the additional white hairs to tweak the Secure-Ex in any way myself. Still, I think the GI is a decent blade held back by a bad sheath. Might pick up a basic cordura sheath for it. Definitely, this is entirely the company’s responsibility to fix. It’s disappointing to still see this issue around when folks have been pointing it out for years.

Does anyone still encounter this issue in 2021?
There's definitely some dulling from the secure ex plastic, whenever the edge makes contact with it.

I know this ain't going to be a popular answer, but the solution is simply to buy a leather sheath. Try evil bay or any of the large retailers' websites. Just get the best fitting leather sheath available for your budget. I had to get sheaths for my Busses, TOPS, and Ontarios. If budget allows, you can get aftermarket sheaths designed for your knife model. It's a pain in the ass, but leather is the way to go. CS ain't the only company to skimp on the sheaths. Other than the Kabar, Bark River is the only one that gives you a quality leather sheath.

CS Laredo bowies used to come with leather sheaths. These unfortunately scratch up the sides of the blade, but at least they don't dull the edge.

There's definitely some dulling from the secure ex plastic, whenever the edge makes contact with it.

I know this ain't going to be a popular answer, but the solution is simply to buy a leather sheath. Try evil bay or any of the large retailers' websites. Just get the best fitting leather sheath available for your budget. I had to get sheaths for my Busses, TOPS, and Ontarios. If budget allows, you can get aftermarket sheaths designed for your knife model. It's a pain in the ass, but leather is the way to go. CS ain't the only company to skimp on the sheaths. Other than the Kabar, Bark River is the only one that gives you a quality leather sheath.

CS Laredo bowies used to come with leather sheaths. These unfortunately scratch up the sides of the blade, but at least they don't dull the edge.
Not unpopular at all. I agree getting an aftermarket sheath is the least stressful way to go about it.

Back