203/204 sharpening stones

Originally posted by Sal Glesser:
Bob - currently working on a diamond plated triangle.

sal

Sal, you know you set yourself up for my question.
wink.gif
Any idea on ETA?
biggrin.gif

Seriously, please let me know if you are looking for a field tester for any prototypes you may be working with. I have several knives in need of reprofiling -- 3 that come immediately to mind are D2 steel -- and I promise to give them a very thorough workout.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian
AlleyCat.gif

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

[This message has been edited by bcaffrey (edited 04-28-2000).]

Oh, man. Where do I sign up? I use a Razor Edge System for heavy metal removal, but would sure like the diamond ones. Much easier to match angles since I normally use a 204 for everything but heavy removal.

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

Definitely a GREAT idea -

I currently use a Lansky to reprofile edges....

You might also want to offer a "steeling - stone"
One that can be inserted into the Sharpmaker....
but you have probably already thought of this right?

------------------
RKBA!
Click Here To Make $5with Paypal!
Pay ANYONE With Your Visa/MC Over the Internet!

Steeling stone?
I use the white stone to steel, i.e. pull VERY slightly along the edge of the blade.
There is no word for this sharpness....

------------------
D.T. UTZINGER

I also currently use a Lansky to reprofile & the 204 to maintain my blades. The Lansky is a good system but it does have some inherent limitations. I find that the Lansky's sharpening angle will vary somewhat depending on the width of the blade -- on narrow blades it's greater than indicated & on wide blades it's more acute. What this means is the 20 degree setting on the Lansky is rarely an exact match to the 204's 40 degree included angle, causing additional reprofiling when moving to the 204.

Flat & hollow ground blades, where the grind goes right to the spine, can also be a problem for the Lansky. If you are not very careful in clamping the blade, and sometimes even if you are, one side of the blade will parallel the clamp jaws while the other side will not. The result here is that you will wind up with an uneven bevel -- shallower & steeper on one side while wider & more acute on the other.

I would MUCH prefer to be able to do all the work on the 204. Diamond plated triangles promise to provide that ability. Come on, Sal, please don't make me beg.
wink.gif
I would LOVE to help you test your prototypes. I have knives that need reprofiling ranging in material from 5160 to A2 & D2 and in size from little 3" utility blades to full size khukuris. OK, so maybe I am begging.
redface.gif
I don't care. I just can't wait to get my hands on these.
cool.gif

------------------
Cheers,
Brian
AlleyCat.gif

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

Hi supersharpener,
1) Angles of Lansky are NOT as mentioned but about 4° smaller.
2) Of course they depend on blade width, applied geometry & so...
3)Hint: use a smaller angle for backbevelling than the one you will use with the sharpmaker.
Happy sharpening
smile.gif

------------------
D.T. UTZINGER

Sal,

I am looking forward to the diamond triangle. Are they going to be sleeves or a solid piece? As one other poster asked, are they going to be available any time in the near future?

In an older post you were looking for ideas as you were having trouble getting high quality ones made. Hopefully you are past this stage but if not here are a couple of ideas. If you cannot get the sleeves you want, possibly you could glue either diamond sandpaper (3M), or something like the flat plates Eze-Lap puts out onto existing stones. If you had any straight but rough defective ceramic stones they could be used for this purpose.

Which ever way you do it, a relatively coarse side for reprofiling and a fine side for those knives with extremely hard carbides would be nice, or seperate sleeves...

Hmmm....Sharpening steels that fit in the Sharpmaker, I like that poster's idea too. I have never found this to be a problem, but perhaps the more exact angle would help.

Thank you for your attention.
Donald.

Donald - We're developing a hollow steel triangle (lighter than a solid one). Should replace the gray stone in most cases. It will be fairly coarse (300 mesh).

This may sacrilege, but I use the steels that come with John Juranich's (Razor Edge) twin steels. I removed them from the original holder and lay them in the groove of the triangles. The steels are well made, hard and smooth. same exact angle as the triangle, works well.

sal

Thanks for the tip on how you use RES's steel, Sal. I'm going to try that next time. I've been holding the steel up to the stones and trying to eyeball it.

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

Back