204 question for Sal.

I would like to have an ultra-fine stone for my Sharpmaker, but have noticed that Spyderco only makes the ultra-fine in the behcnstone. Any plans in the future to produce it for the 204?

And while we have Sal answering 204 questions, I was wondering if we could get an update on the availability of the diamond rods for the 204.

Thanks, Sal.

-Steven

From what I understand the Ultra-Fine benchstone is just a fine benchstone that has had the surface polished down to a smoother finish. I believe the Ultra-Fine is a little thinner than the F and M because of this process.

If I am correct, then Spyderco would have to make UF triangle oversized and then mill it down to get the right surface. This would have to be done by a very precise amount in order for them to fit the base of the Sharpmaker the way they should. I think this would make a pair of these things cost as much as the 204 itself (at least).

Hopefully I am totally wrong, and they will be coming out later in the summer.
biggrin.gif

Paul

BTW if you are not already stropping your plain edge knives, it will do a lot to polish the edge.

I find the white rods on my 204 plenty fine already, but I sure would like to see some diamond/coarse stones.

Hi Kutch & Swong. Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

As Paul mentioned (thanx), it would be cost prohibitive to make an ultra fine at this time. We could make up a different ceramic forumla and try to achieve the finer grit that way, but I don't think the demand would support the costs.

We have a source for the steel triangle rods, we're still investigating diamond platers. It's still encouraging.

sal

[This message has been edited by Sal Glesser (edited 05-08-2001).]

biggrin.gif
!

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Sal,

It's time to give us the diamond hones for our Sharpmakers!! (I have some Superglue that you can have to glue the diamonds on with, if it'll help get the diamond hones plugged into the base of my "204" any quicker.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
.).

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

Sal,

I noticed on the DiamondBlack Website that some companies are having Diamond Bits and such Boron Carbide Coated to help with Diamond Retention Problems.

You may want to check it out since that seems to be a primary concern with the Diamond Rods.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

Hi SDouglas. thanx for the input. Unfortunately, diamonds that are spinning quickly have different problems to solve. The matrixes that are used for diamonds moving under power, don't seem to hold up for hand sharpening.

sal

You may want to talk to the folks at Diamond Black. I realize that the forces applied during Knife Sharpening are different but a thin Ceramic Coating at Rc 90 helping to hold the diamonds in place might not be a bad thing.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370

Back