#25 Barlow in hand comparison pic, please

I am looking to buy a #25 2 blade in genuine stag, it is not cheap and I would like to get a jist of just how small this knife is. It would be the smallest knife in my knife chest and I want to make sure it would be a size I can use. Thanks in advance,

Kris

Kris,

I love the #25s, but they are definitely on the small side. Or at least, I imagine they may seem so in most men's hands.

I took some quick pictures to demonstrate, with other knives as size references.

Note the comparison with a Boker barlow (first picture, a more "standard" 3 3/8" barlow length), where the end of the handle falls in/on my (women's medium) hand when in a roughly in-use position.

BokerBarlow.jpg

GECs:
GECbarlow.jpg

GECHorsecutBarlow.jpg

Other possibly known quantities, for further comparison (these were quick pictures; sorry I didn't catch the thumb fuzzy before it was too late!):

Case Medium Stockman
CaseMedStockman.jpg

Case Mini Trapper
CaseMiniTrapper.jpg

Case Peanut (my hand's squunched down more on this one, so the comparison is not as direct)
CasePeanut.jpg

GEC White Owl
GEC68WhiteOwl.jpg

Hope this helps!

~ P.

Thank you much Sarah, that helps out alot. Still on the fence about it. Its the genuine stag that has a hold of me. I never seem to catch a GEC with that handle material.

Kris

Short it may be, but the handle is broad and, like with all GECs it is sturdy in construction. Some of the best looking stag can be found on GEC knives.
Time to get off that fence......

Thank you much Sarah, that helps out alot. Still on the fence about it. Its the genuine stag that has a hold of me. I never seem to catch a GEC with that handle material.

Does it have the stamped bolsters clip (ie, main blade not etched, but actually stamped)?

Here's hoping. :)

Yes, and I echo what willgoy wrote-- the handles are substantial, despite their relatively short length.

One last thought: Chris Tucker recently confirmed what I first heard in July, that there are more #25s due this fall. The initial projection was "August." When that didn't happen, I checked in again, and evidently they're still on the docket for "this fall."

There's no indication yet of what that might mean regarding specific knives and cover materials, and of course until more #25s are actually in the works they might be put off again, but wanted to put that out there in case it helps in your decision-making process.

~ P.

I like the 25 its short and kind of thick but it pockets well and has enough blade for most of my cutting tasks.
25%20in%20hand.jpg

Does it have the stamped bolsters clip (ie, main blade not etched, but actually stamped)?

I am not sure, the tang stamp is 252208, #65 of 67 made in 08. I think I had better just order this one. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Kris

Last edited:
Kris,

I love the #25s, but they are definitely on the small side. Or at least, I imagine they may seem so in most men's hands.

I took some quick pictures to demonstrate, with other knives as size references.

Note the comparison with a Boker barlow (first picture, a more "standard" 3 3/8" barlow length), where the end of the handle falls in/on my (women's medium) hand when in a roughly in-use position.

BokerBarlow.jpg

GECs:
GECbarlow.jpg

GECHorsecutBarlow.jpg

Other possibly known quantities, for further comparison (these were quick pictures; sorry I didn't catch the thumb fuzzy before it was too late!):

Case Medium Stockman
CaseMedStockman.jpg

Case Mini Trapper
CaseMiniTrapper.jpg

Case Peanut (my hand's squunched down more on this one, so the comparison is not as direct)
CasePeanut.jpg

GEC White Owl
GEC68WhiteOwl.jpg

Hope this helps!

~ P.

What is that third barlow? Is that a GEC? I like it but never saw one in that pattern before.

What is that third barlow? Is that a GEC? I like it but never saw one in that pattern before.

That is a GEC 25, pertinux posted another picture of that one in the "What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?" thread.
If P doesn't mind i'll post it here for you.
IMG_3516.jpg

No, I don't mind at all!

It's a 2008 Horsecut Antique Barlow (Northfield).

All on one day, I saw one on a Vendor's site, didn't know what I was looking at and kept moving, saw this post here in Traditional a few hours later, realized what I had seen earlier and swooped back and Pounced. Whew.

It's one of 50, so not that rare by GEC standards, but: I hadn't seen a knife like it before that day, and have come upon only one other elsewhere since (a prototype).

IMG_3542.jpg

~ P.

Thanks pistonsandgears . Maybe the angle of photo makes the pen one looks a little bigger than the clip one :p

And thanks to pertinux and Nathan I ordered one with longpull and clip point main blade in snakewood , regardless of my big hands. That would be my 1st GEC and 1st carbonsteel folder.

Pics will be posted when the beauty arrives.

Thanks pistonsandgears . Maybe the angle of photo makes the pen one looks a little bigger than the clip one :p

And thanks to pertinux and Nathan I ordered one with longpull and clip point main blade in snakewood , regardless of my big hands. That would be my 1st GEC and 1st carbonsteel folder.

Pics will be posted when the beauty arrives.
:thumbup: Hey alright, that should be a nice one, I hope you like it, I think you will.

I am looking to buy a #25 2 blade in genuine stag, it is not cheap and I would like to get a jist of just how small this knife is. It would be the smallest knife in my knife chest and I want to make sure it would be a size I can use. Thanks in advance,
Kris

IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4326.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4322.jpg

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4320.jpg

IMG_4319.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

I wear a 2xl glove, and they are tight on my hands.

Great size for a user.

It is meaty enough to get a great grip on it. It fits in the coin pocket perfectly.

It is a 3 finger knife for sure, but I find it very useful!

This is the all steel version. Steel bolsters, and liners/scales.

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Great array of pictures; great knife-- and, there are the stamped bolsters and the stamped blade-- sweet.

Not only that, but Bigfattyt's actual man hands and recommendation are far more valuable than my
attempts at "scale."

I look forward to new pictures of the Incoming. :)

(If you'd be so kind as to [also] post the new ones in this thread once they arrive, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I hope you don't mind if I quote and copy them there myself, thread/post reference intact. I never tire of paging through the pictures there. )

~ P.

I tried to get a pic or two of how the stag looks after 6 or so months of pocket time.

These are just cell photo's and no natural light, but I won't have time tomorrow.

The stag just looks better every time I see it!

IMAG0584.jpg

IMAG0589.jpg

IMAG0571.jpg

IMAG0574.jpg

Back