26C3?

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Is anyone here familiar with this steel? What I have read is that it hardens to 68RC. But I do not know if it has been used and/or tested, or for what purpose.

Just wondering if it is always hardened ultra hard, and if so, is it prone to chipping? Limited to precise slicing tasks?

Is it used for small and/or slicey knives, or for more of a utility blade type knife?

Thanks,

Andy

I like the Stability more than the other simple steels. @Larrin released a new article comparing the impact toughness with charpy testing. It isn't great stuff for shock resistance but the Edge Stability for high sharpeness low angle edges is impressive.

It's not crazy on the wear resistance either, but sharpens crazy easy.

I have experience with it in kitchen knives. Good steel, it is usually not left that hard. In kitchen knives usually tempered to 63-65 HRC. Clean steel, seems tougher than 1095 or O1 and gets hard. Also used in differential heat treated blades, shows hamon pretty well. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/08/12/how-to-heat-treat-26c3-steel/

This is Spicy White after tempering.

PWLSCY5.jpg

I achieved this hardness with heat processing before austenitizing and with using liquid nitrogen cryogenics.

Its very edge stable at high hardness depending on temperture control and the tempertures used more than the HRC number.

Spicy White is one of the best sharpening steels available, easy to sharpen at extreme hardness on any stone.
Here is a video of the sharpening and Stability at extreme Geometry with abusive cutting and how well the edge comes back with honing.

PWLSCY5.jpg

I achieved this hardness with heat processing before austenitizing and with using liquid nitrogen cryogenics.

Its very edge stable at high hardness depending on temperture control and the tempertures used more than the HRC number.

Spicy White is one of the best sharpening steels available, easy to sharpen at extreme hardness on any stone.
Here is a video of the sharpening and Stability at extreme Geometry with abusive cutting and how well the edge comes back with honing.
Holy cow! Amazing flex in that thin tip too!

PWLSCY5.jpg

Not long after you first posted that, friend and co-worker said his dad was telling him that there was no point in spending too much time in sharpening knives. Said if you get them sharp they just dull right away or chip or whatever. Stubborn old machinist he is. :)

I sent my friend this video and he sent it to his dad. Dad's mind was blown and his stubbornness turned to intrigue. The son has since bought a KME to explore sharpening and from time to time I hear dad is asking about different steels and such.

Rock on Shawn. :)

I do use 26C3. I have also carried it as a personal EDC for some months now. I really like it, excellent edge holding ability, very easy to sharpen and doesn't need to be babied. It has sold very well for us too. I've got nine knives in 26C3 going right now on the workbench. Here's 7 of them:

Sc1A7bt.jpg

The other two had already been measured for their bolster material and had their handle materials assigned to them:

TYeVR6b.jpg

r0tiHaZ.jpg

There are 18 knives total in this batch. Once I get them done I will start in on these two sheets of 26C3:

dFetcS0.jpg

Judiciously laid out and cut I should get 40 to 50 more 26C3 blades from these two sheets, depending of course on which models I layout. A few finished ones. Here's my EDC next to a grinding stone out on the ranch. This pic was for a thread on local history and knives:

ZoucVRG.jpg

Ya can see the thread here and post #39 particularly is where this knife is.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/local-history-pics-with-traditional-traditionals.1648369/

Cool thread if history interest ya at all. Anyhoo, some I've sold:

z20LM6a.jpg

yCaWiOn.jpg

Hk7tvaU.jpg

pHKqNCW.jpg

I do use 26C3. I have also carried it as a personal EDC for some months now. I really like it, excellent edge holding ability, very easy to sharpen and doesn't need to be babied. It has sold very well for us too. I've got nine knives in 26C3 going right now on the workbench. Here's 7 of them:

Sc1A7bt.jpg

The other two had already been measured for their bolster material and had their handle materials assigned to them:

TYeVR6b.jpg

r0tiHaZ.jpg

There are 18 knives total in this batch. Once I get them done I will start in on these two sheets of 26C3:

dFetcS0.jpg

Judiciously laid out and cut I should get 40 to 50 more 26C3 blades from these two sheets, depending of course on which models I layout. A few finished ones. Here's my EDC next to a grinding stone out on the ranch. This pic was for a thread on local history and knives:

ZoucVRG.jpg

Ya can see the thread here and post #39 particularly is where this knife is.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/local-history-pics-with-traditional-traditionals.1648369/

Cool thread if history interest ya at all. Anyhoo, some I've sold:

z20LM6a.jpg

yCaWiOn.jpg

Hk7tvaU.jpg

pHKqNCW.jpg

Those are all beautifully done, and now I know you can get a hamon with this steel as well.

Where do you get your horn material, if I may ask?

Back