2hp VFD that outputs 200v?

I think I found a source for a motor for a 2x72, but it's a 200v motor, not 230v and I don't want to cook it with a 230v VFD.

Are any of you guys familiar with a VFD that has adjustable output voltage down to 200v?

Kuraki is right, we need a good clear photo of the name tag on the motor. That will tell LOTS about the motor.

Most 200V motors I see are either 200 VDC or are 200-240VAC 3Ph. A standard VFD should run one just fine on 220VAC, but we need to see the motor plate to know.

That motor will work on a 208v supply. Its fairly common thing. 10% is typical accepted of variation in motors voltage supply.

I've seen A LOT of 3 phase, AC motors, but none that were strictly setup to run on exactly 200V.

If it is in fact a 3 phase AC motor, you should be fine.

Like Stacy, I'm wondering if it's a DC motor, or maybe some lesser known import brand?

A nameplate would be helpful.

Seems like some foreign AC motors run on 200V. Might be 50 hertz too. Japanese perhaps?

A lot of phase converters spit out the voltage they're fed, so a buck-boost transformer ahead of the converter might do it?

Last edited:
I had typed "Japanese motors"in my list, but took it out. I have use one, and it ran OK on 220AC, 60 cycle. They run a bit faster is all I noticed. With 3 phase a VFD that isn't an issue anyway.

Here's the dataplate.

Thanks guys..

490563764660c0305d3271fbde9e65b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is an open frame motor and won't work. I saw it on eBay, and the price is OK, but the frame is wrong.

I can't read the enclosure rating, but looks like it might be OPSB? If so, that's most likely a HVAC motor and open frame. Not the best choice by any means for a grinder motor.

Says on the nameplate it will work with 208V, but like Stacy says, it's an open frame motor (OPSB - OPen Slotted Band), which isn't necessarily ideal for running a machine that makes a lot of conductive dust.

That said, it COULD still be used, and IIRC OPSB motors blow outwards onto the shaft, so while it was running, very little dust would get inside (theoretically), but you'd still inevitably get some kind of debris in there eventually, and that's not ideal. Now, if the motor was $50, I'd probably say get it and blow it out with a compressor every once in a while, and use it until it burns up.
However, if it's the same one I found on my google search, I'd take that $230 and find something else.

BTW, a 145T is a 7/8" diameter shaft. Most over the counter drive wheels are on a 5/8" shaft, so a 56 frame motor is the most commonly sought after. If you're making your own wheels, having them made, or have the means to bore out the ID, this isn't an issue, but still something to think about.

EDIT: I can't remember if OPSB motors are open on both ends to draw air THROUGH the frame, or just on the shaft side... Eitherway, it'll need to be blown out on a regular basis, and again, if it's over $150 to $250, there are many many better options for the money.

Look for a TEFC 56C with a base mount, and that should cover anything you could possibly need it for, in regards to grinders.

Hi there...fairly new to this forum, but used to work in the VFD industry, and used to post a lot on the Practical Machinist forum for those that know it. Looks like the motor in this case won't work, but getting back to the original question, just wanted to mention that most VFDs have an adjustable V/Hz ratio, so you could indeed achieve 200V output at 60Hz if necessary. Assuming 230V input, you would set the V/Hz ratio such that you'd get full 230V output at ~70Hz....therefore at 60Hz you would have 200V output.

Back