2x42 belt recommendation

I need a 2x42 36grit and 50 grit belts to remove steel. I am going to get started on a batch of knives and will be using an angle grinder and belt grinder to profile and establish my grinds. The 36 + 50 g belts I have been using wear out very very quick. I buy the sears 50g when I need something fast but they are done after one knife. I orderd some from trugrit and super grit and they were the pz533 p50 that were blue in color and some aluminum ones that lasted maybe two knives. I need some suggestions on some belts to hog off material that will last more than one knife and where I can purchase them. Thanks guys!

-frank

Frank
That was my main complaint about the 2 X 42 I had.Belts cost almost as much as a 2 X 72 but only last half as long. I did all my profileing with the angle grinder and even removed the mill scale with it to preserve belts. 1-2 knives to a belt is about it.
Stan

You have only half the amount of grit as a 2X72 belt. It will last half as long, maybe less due to over heating problems. Makers often don't get long life from belts used to hog steel. They often change a belt to make work go faster, figuring time is also a calculable expense. On a 2X42, one or two blades may be the practical limit, but be sure the belt is really worn out. Try and avoid light sanding with lower grits, especially structured abrasives. They need heavy pressure and hard use to keep breaking down the grit. Too light a pressure and the belt glazes, quits cutting, and seems to be exhausted. Take an old grinding wheel and refresh the grit on a worn out belt to see if it is really dead, or just glazed. I have known makers who got 50 knives hogged out on a single belt by keeping it fresh. A 3X132 wet sander can grind out hundreds of knives on a single belt.
Check with John Williams at Klingspor for belt pricing on your 2X42 belts- 1-800-645-5555. They charge by the surface area, so 2X42 belts should be about 58% the price of 2X72 belts. They can supply nearly any belt type you want in the lower grits.
http://www.klingspor.com/

Stacy

I've been using the blue Zirconias from tru grit in the 36 for hogging. Works good for about two, maybe three small knives for profiling, or five or six for beveling, but I grind them till they're plenty dull. I was impressed with the selection at supergrit last time I looked, may try there next. I haven't bought a sears belt except the one that came in my sander box, was not impressed.

I just did a flat grind on a small wharnie and set the grind with a 50 sears belt and then switched to a 160g structured trizac gator belt and the trizac blew it out of the water. I am just going to try and get the profile with as little belt grining as possible. I will also try those belts jkf96a. Thanks guys!

I do the same as you, hog with a 36, then clean up with a 160 gator then 400 gator before heat treat. Bring back the 400 gator for the scale, then hand sand.

The Klingspor zirconia belts I've gotten from McMaster-Carr have been doing well for my low-volume needs, but I'm going to give these Gators a shot!

Back