2x48 into 2x72 grinder. Success, and money saved!

DavidHoback

If you see me posting, remind me to STFU & leave.
Little trick guys. I've had and been using my Dayton 2x48 belt grinder for almost 3 years now. And like all knifemakers, I want to move on to a 2x72. Luckily, I can build my own. So I went to work designing it, and was planning to start buying materials now. Decided it would be built almost 100% from 7075 t6 billet. But even building it, I would be out about $450 all said & done! Well, also like ALL knifemakers, I like saving money. Now I spent $300 on my 2x48 in 2014, which was a good deal. It has a 3/4hp motor, and has done well. I've also made a new table rest for it, which tilts for bevel needed. Trying to sell it is pointless. So I'm looking at it, and wondering if I can rebuild it into a 2x72. Well, turns out, all that I needed was a piece of 2"x23"x1/2" bar stock. I chose 7075 t6 billet. And one 3" idler wheel. Again, I got a billet aluminum wheel. The Dayton already has two 1/4"x20 theaded holes for the enclosure that comes on it to keep debris from going everywhere. I disregarded the shielding when I first got the machine. I drilled & tapped two more holes, and the bar stock is fitted, exiting out the back of the machine. So instead of running on 2 wheels(like the Grizzly), it runs on 3. Works fantastic, and will still take 2x48 belts.(although I don't know why I would ever use them again). The best part of this is it cost less than $50 to accomplish. (Did I mention I really like saving money?)

I'm sure the same could be done on other 2x48 grinders. But for anyone with a Dayton, it ABSOLUTELY WILL! Now, I still plan on building the grinder I designed. But I can do it slow, and still use 2x72 belts in the meantime. Win win situation. I love it!

We see someone post this type conversion about every year. The only drawbacks are that it is a dedicated 3/4HP motor that can't be changed, and you can't make it VS. The biggest plus is the low cost for a suitable entry level grinder.

Like I said, I have the plans made to build a full 2x72. I'll use a 3hp DC motor and also build my own speed control. But I need belts now! Because I have knives to make now! It's just a nice "get me by", and take my time getting materials for the new one. Now I know that "in the scheme", $450 is nothing on full 2x72. That's the beauty of being able to make things yourself. But $450 is still a good bit of money for me. Perhaps not for for you. For all I know, you have a $3000 grinder. While I would never waste that kind of money on one, you may. Point is, pretty cost effective way to get something done. Oh, and btw. There is the 2 speed drive wheel sold by Oregonblade. That would make a direct drive motor 2 speed. It's pretty expensive, but would still have me WAY cheeper than anything out there

Funny thing, on a side note, I'm not sure why some people think the grinder they have is going to make their knives better. Ah well.

Perhaps not for for you. For all I know, you have a $3000 grinder. While I would never waste that kind of money on one, you may.

First off, congrats on finding a solution to your problem that works for you now.
Second - be careful how you word things as this could sound controversial/argumentative. If Stacy (or anyone else here for that matter) has a $3000 grinder that's their prerogative. If I were a professional knife maker like Stacy, who's livelihood depends on not only the quality of the knife, but the number that they can produce in the shortest amount of time, I'd want the sturdiest, most powerful machine and probably a lot of the fancy platens and tools I could afford and wouldn't waste my time with a homemade build.
Also, as moderator of the forum, he has seen a lot of these type of posts, like he said. And he has the experience to know that many of these folks eventually either upgrade or wish they had.

Good luck in your knife making endeavor.
~billyO

PS- Did you by any chance do a search on this topic on the forum to see if you are the first to come up with this?

I was not being dismissive. I was stating that your solution was one that has been proven to work. Nothing bad about it at all. You seem to have plans worked out for making a more powerful grinder in the future. I am sure it will be a good upgrade.

I agree that many new makers think a big, fancy grinder will shape their knives better. It may do it with more power and control, but it won't do it for them. That is the same reason I dislike jigs.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound confrontational. I wasn't trying to. Problem with words in print. Doesn't always match the tone. And I didn't think you were being dismissive. Truthfully, I did search. Both hear, and google. Didn't find anything. I tried terms "2x48 to 2x72, Dayton belt Grinder, building 2x72 from 2x48". Nothing came up. Not even THIS thread! I'm going to bet that most knife makers are NOT doing it as a profession. It seems most do it as a hobby, and maybe for extra money. Like me. I understand your thoughts on jigs... but with those as well, some people(like ME ), MUST use them. I only have one arm/hand to use. Try to make a knife with one hand in your pocket the entire time and then try it with a jig, lol.

I did search. Both hear, and google. Didn't find anything. I tried terms "2x48 to 2x72, Dayton belt Grinder, building 2x72 from 2x48". Nothing came up. Not even THIS thread!
The regular search engine built into vBulletin, which is the software platform here really sucks. Try the custom search engine by Google and you will have much better results.

David , check out Frank Lampson's work , he is also a one armed knife maker . We have a beautiful folder with a abalone shell handle .

The regular search engine built into vBulletin, which is the software platform here really sucks. Try the custom search engine by Google and you will have much better results.

Yeah, that's what I used before. Nothing! I searched everywhere, and finally just found one on google images. A member did something similar to mine with his 2x48 jet multi tool. Funny it didn't come up in searches here. And I've seen the "Jiffy" 4x36-2x72 conversion kit, but mine was less than $50, uses a 1/2" 7075 t6 billet arm, and billet 3" idler wheel. Little more cost effective, to say the least. Just thought others may find it useful. But I guess not. If someone comes across this and is interested, PM me and I'll send you photos, and where to get the parts. Or maybe I should just start selling these as a conversion kit...hmmmm! Yeah, that's the ticket. I should be able to sell them for at least $200! LOL!

Last edited:
Yes, use the custom search engine found in the stickys at the top of the Shop talk page. If you put in, "Grinder Conversion 2X72", you will get many pages of threads. I spotted over a dozen in the first three pages of hits.

There are several one handed knifemakers, some who have had articles done in Blade magazine. IIRC, we have a couple here on BF. IIRC, one had made a special purpose prosthetic to grip a blade for grinding.

A few years back there was a You-Tube video of a fellow in Thailand or Africa who had one arm. He made his knives sitting on the floor in a primitive shop. He used his feet and various jigs and rests to hold things while he used his one hand to do all the work.

Last edited:
Wow guys! I never said I was the ONLY knifemaker with one arm. But are any of you? Then don't act as if you know it, simply because you can point out others. I am one, but doesn't mean I'm on a mission searching for others. I have my own style that I have developed. And again, I am well aware that there are many, many disabled craftsmen in the world. I wasn't, nor have I ever compared myself to another in that regard. On the "search" function-I apologize for not thinking of the exact phrase that you did. I put in what I thought, and nothing comes up! So I came up with my own solution, and thought someone else may find it useful. Again, I apologize for somehow offending some by posting a thread. Won't happen again. Maybe someday, I can be worthy enough to do so. Take care.

David - I think everyone here holds your ability to work one-handed in very high esteem. I suspect mentioning other folks who work with only one hand was NOT intended as a "put down", but to show "inclusiveness" (hmmm, what a word!). Reading back over the posts I can see how it might have came across wrong to you. As you said before, many times the written word doesn't come across as intended.

Just for the record, as a hobby type knifemaker I've got $500 or so in my VFD 2X72 grinder. Yep, I'm a cheapskate...... just ask my ex-wife {g}

I know Stacy from this forum (never had the pleasure of meeting him in person), and the others here are always full of help, even when not always agreeing with each other. Stacy runs a "tight" ship and keeps things in order nicely.

Ken H>

David - I think everyone here holds your ability to work one-handed in very high esteem. I suspect mentioning other folks who work with only one hand was NOT intended as a "put down", but to show "inclusiveness" (hmmm, what a word!). Reading back over the posts I can see how it might have came across wrong to you. As you said before, many times the written word doesn't come across as intended.

Just for the record, as a hobby type knifemaker I've got $500 or so in my VFD 2X72 grinder. Yep, I'm a cheapskate...... just ask my ex-wife {g}

I know Stacy from this forum (never had the pleasure of meeting him in person), and the others here are always full of help, even when not always agreeing with each other. Stacy runs a "tight" ship and keeps things in order nicely.

Ken H>

I want to thank you Ken. You are a gentleman and have a genuin kindness about you. Please don't get me wrong here. I'm not upset with anyone. I didn't take any of Stacy's comments as a personal attack. I don't know him, but I have no argument with him whatsoever. And I haven't felt "put down" by others comments, because of my disability. It's just frustrating that people start chiming in about this or that OTHER disabled craftsman, who can also do this. I run into this often. Really! We aren't out there SEARCHING for one another to form a "secret order of disabled craftsmen", in order to take over the world! LOL. Think of it like this, if you or Stacy or another member were to make a thread about something you have done, and I responded "you should check my friend so & so. He also does this, but he adds this & this & that as well!" Do you see how that would be a little out of place, and likely be frowned upon?

Like I said, I'm not upset with anybody. I just dont let things lie. People should be informed when they do or say something insulting, especially when it was not meant in such a way.

Back