3/16" INFI Mean Street

Hi, as the proud owner of a INFI Mean Street, let me first tell you I really like this knife. However, I really would like to see Mr. Busse come out with a 3/16" thick blade version of this knife as an option. I really think that with the new INFI steel, 3/16" would be about as strong as 1/4" in the steel that they previously used & it would be alot handier on a small knife. I find 1/4" a little thick & awkward for cutting some items. Just I.M.H.O.
wink.gif

Hart...thanks for your post and welcome to the Busse Combat Forum.

Your sentiment is popular among some folks...the primary reason that the Mean Street is 1/4" is due to military customer demand...

Not to long ago, a Army Ranger mailed Jerry a special coin thanking him for the quality of the Steel Heart II. Jerry has it framed on the wall. A Bradley rolled over this soldier's knife...to his AWESOME SURPRISE, the knife was absolutley undamaged.

Overall strength dictates most of the design decisions at Busse Combat, but you are right about enhanced cutting power by going thinner. Perhaps a VARIANT
smile.gif
is in this idea.

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC
Phone: 1-201-493-2469
Orders-Toll Free: 1-877-557-5200
Visa & Mastercard Accepted

Authorized Dealers:
Busse Combat Knives and Big East Traditional Bows

Professional Shooting Svcs: Corporate Training and Stress Mgmt.

Oh, God, Andy, no, not another variant? LOL
smile.gif

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

I agree thatit would be nice to see a 3/16" mean street. I picked up a mean street on the forums and although I understand the circumstances under which a 1/4 inch 7.5 inch hunk of steel could be useful as a pry tool I just couldnt justify its wieght for daily carry. I loved it but I let it go. Food for thought: outside of trying to pry open a steel door, can you really get that much leverage on 7.5 inches that you would break or bend a 3/16 inch infi mean street.
That said the clip point varient that andy posted almost made me reach for my credit card anyway.

------------------
ALex

http://home.att.net./~a.boriqua

I'm all for a 3/16" Mean Street!!

I wanted to buy a Mean Street but gave it a second thought because of the thickness. Of course, I'm looking for a cutting tool and not a pry bay. I have a few short knives made from 1/4" stock and they're just a bit thick and heavy.

INFI in 3/16th stock will probably be available in about 9 months. Which models will be available in 3/16th is an open question at this point, however, the smaller models will probably benefit first.

This issue is in a few threads on this forum and Jerry is aware of them...we talked about it tonight. But remember, the lack of availability of INFI in 3/16th is not the only reason for a model not having this option. Customer demand until recently has not supported the need to even explore making one available.

Perhaps this forum will change that.

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC
Phone: 1-201-493-2469
Orders-Toll Free: 1-877-557-5200
Visa & Mastercard Accepted

Authorized Dealers:
Busse Combat Knives and Big East Traditional Bows

Professional Shooting Svcs: Corporate Training and Stress Mgmt.

Hey Guys, it sounds like if we really want Jerry Busse to make this knife, we need to show him on this Forum! {Numbers Count}. So if you're reading this & you want Mr. Busse to make it, make a reply to this Post! A 3/16 INFI Mean Street can be a reality!

I have a standard 1/4" Mean Street on order with Andy, one of the Desert Warfare models. Know what? I'd still eventually put in an order for a 3/16" Mean Street. Having both smaller knives in that size offers use (or abuse
wink.gif
) options that just the one blade thickness might not.

Keep in mind, though, that IIRC, the Mean Streets are evolving to a "broader" blade, and the increase in distance from the spine to the edge will change the geometry and most likely improve the fine cutting characteristics. Whether a current profile Mean Street in 3/16" stock or a 1/4" stock "deeper" blade design will cut better is best left up to those more experienced in the nuances of edge geometry. Imagine, though, the potential edge geometry of a "deep", 3/16" Mean Street. That bugger should cut like all get-out!

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

Back