3/16 Titanium

Worked on the Ti BT4 a bit more today. Drilled some more holes to lighten it up a bit more. Put on some olive linen handles and carbidized the edge. Also stamped my BT logo onto the ricasso. Still need to polish the spine one last time and polish out the edge. Will take finished pics tomorrow.

5560597820_9723caff05_b.jpg

Just snapped another quick shot with my camera phone.

5560041681_9c66fb6726_b.jpg

Wow man, really looking good! :thumbup: You had a chance to weigh it yet? Is it full convex or flat into convex?

It is full flat-vex. I flat ground a majority of it then switched to convex so that the primary bevel is a little thinner than full convex. It weights 4.9oz according to my postal scale.

That's what I thought you'd do :thumbup:

4.9oz... It's about 2/3 the weight of some common production blades in that range (RC4, Bravo-1) :thumbup:

Ban, I'd love to see a Ti neck knife in a utility blade shape. Perhaps a variation of your BT4? Ti is good for neck knives due to the weight factor, and It is not something that one would rely upon in daily cutting tasks.

Ever do a boot knife in Ti? A lightweight "shank" type of "backup" blade for today's boot enthusiast would be cool. A high end Ti prison shank, for the weight conscious prisoners?
I do like the carbide edge/hamon look. Where's the balance point of your 4 , I'm guessing the weights in the scales/handle.

Ever do a boot knife in Ti? A lightweight "shank" type of "backup" blade for today's boot enthusiast would be cool. A high end Ti prison shank, for the weight conscious prisoners?
I do like the carbide edge/hamon look. Where's the balance point of your 4 , I'm guessing the weights in the scales/handle.

I have made a shiv in 3V. A Ti Shiv wouldn't be a bad idea. The balance point of the BT4 is right where the index finger sits near the first rivet. Some of the weight comes from the scales but keep in mind that it is .200 thick.

Ban, I'd love to see a Ti neck knife in a utility blade shape. Perhaps a variation of your BT4? Ti is good for neck knives due to the weight factor, and It is not something that one would rely upon in daily cutting tasks.

I have made a few Titanium Drop Point and Clip Point EDCs along with Wharnies. The Drop Point EDC is basically a smaller choil-less BT4 with a 3" blade.

Carbidized Titanium are fully capable of daily cutting chores. A few guys have beat the crap out of them and used them for everything from food prep to sod cutting. According to the feedback the working edge holds up better than most steel knives and is much easier to maintain.

Yes, definitely fully capable. I've been using mine daily for a while now, and Norcalblacktail has actually put the Drop-point version through much tougher cutting tasks than I have.

The most eye opening experience for me was breaking down cardboard. Cardboard can be a pretty good test of edge-holding, in my experience. The carbide edge still went on cutting and working quite a bit after I'd have to sharpen up a steel pocket knife (spyderco S30V). :thumbup:

And aside from a little steeling and stropping here and there, no maintenance :thumbup:

I meant that a neck knife is not as comfortable a user as a fully handled knife, so it wouldn't be as prefferable to use as a handled knife. I have no doubt that your C'd-Ti neckers are great cutters!

With cord wrap those neckers can be more comfortable than you would think. Also most "every day" tasks are light duty cuts like opening a box so mine is great for my every day urban utility knife.

I wear mine cross draw horizontal with a mini tec lock on my belt but it's got lanyard holes for neck carry if I ever want to. Belt carry is a lot more discrete for me.

best I could do... :D

Ban, How many blades has this stamp ?

Attachments

• CIMG1466 (640x480).jpg
    CIMG1466 (640x480).jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 27
Back